Liberal Colleges and Universities - Why and How Did They Get That Way?

The name Harvard came from a Christian Minister in 1636. That was nearly four hundred years ago. Read the Harvard Mission Statement and there is nary a mention of "Gawd'.

Mission statement - Harvard University

And I'm just, pardon the word, "mystified", why the right would think they have lots of scientists and "stuff"?

The Republican truth is they have lots of scientists and "big" thinkers.

The truth "truth" is the right has only contempt for education which is exemplified by one of their leaders, Sarah Palin. The sad thing isn't that Mother Sarah rolled her eyes when the women said she was a "teacher", but the FACT that the right wing has made "teacher" a dirty word and the woman was "ashamed" of being a teacher. She said, "I have a few other jobs". Sad and pathetic.

YouTube - Sarah Palin - The eyeroll that did not happen - Homer, Alaska, August 7, 2010

The first attempt to prove me wrong from the liberal fringe.

Harvard Divinity School

Look at that, I can actually go to Harvard and graduate with a Th.D., and then go preach the gospel at almost any church in the country. I am pretty sure that would qualify them as a Christian school to most people.

And if I had known you were still harping on that Palin eye roll thing i would have pointed out how the left is, how did you put it, Sherroding her.

1st. The woman who claimed to be a teacher is a lot of things, and a teacher is not one of them. If Palin did roll her eyes here it could possibly be because someone was falsely claiming the honorable job of teacher for herself, when what she really is is a Theater Tech, at least according to the district website.

2nd. Did you notice the "I also have other jobs," line after the "eye roll?" She sings in a drag queen band, sits on the board of the local family planning clinic, does something for a radio station, and protests a lot. Not to mention the fact that the person behind the video, Shannyn Moore, is known to post outright lies about Palin,

3rd. This was a staged setup from the beginning, and the video was clearly edited to hide the fact.

Probably the majority of the best, private colleges in the nation (the Ivy League schools and half a dozen other small private colleges) bill themselves as "Christian" colleges. Yet these are the very same colleges I see derided by conservatives on a regular basis as being the homes of "liberal elitists."

President Obama went to Occidental but received his undergraduate degree from Columbia. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law School. Does anyone deny that abuse that has been heaped upon President Obama on this very board for his higher education and the various schools where it was obtained?

Why? WHY this distrust of higher education? There have been some good answers so far, mixed in with the usual garbage from the usual contributors thereof. But I have yet to read something that truly answers this question, in my opinion.

So I go through these colleges. None of them are in "Alabama" or "South Carolina".

I bet I am going to enjoy this.

What does the fact that they are not in Alabama or South Carolina have to do with this discussion?

All of them were founded in the late 1600's.
In fact, the only one that even talks about "Gawd" on their site is Yale, which identifies itself as providing a "liberal" education.

Wanna bet on that?

Princeton Theological Seminary

Maybe you should look up what that means sometime, you might learn something. (I doubt it, but it is always possible.)

Elements of a Liberal Education - Catalog | Grinnell College

Gee, that means it is not about politics, or even about believing in God, (though the traditional European education always came from church sponsored schools.) it is about what is taught. If only you were capable of thinking beyond labels you might not always end up looking like a fool.

Now come on people. To pretend that conservatives are all into "education" is ludicrous. Not even you guys can possibly believe that. The only education conservatives want is business so they can scam people out of their money.

Yet you pretend that you know what you are talking about.

Definitions of conservative:

•resistant to change
•having social or political views favoring conservatism
•a person who is reluctant to accept changes and new ideas
•button-down: unimaginatively conventional; "a colorful character in the buttoned-down, dull-grey world of business"- Newsweek
•a member of a Conservative Party

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Does that mean I should stop trying to reason with you?

When you start, let me know.

You sir, are not very intelligent.

I went to the College of the Ozarks. Hardwork U

College of the Ozarks, Hard Work U.

They bill themselves as a liberal arts college, and yet they are absolutely a conservative Christian college

Liberal in education terms has NOTHING to do with liberal as a political term.

Liberal arts college - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It must be sad to be so desperate for your "side" to be right about something.

Good for you. I applaud your education for what it's worth.

The truth is, the Republican Party, as a whole, does not respect education. It's true that college professors voted 12 to 1 for Obama and it's also true, according to Pew research, that very few scientists will identify themselves as Republican.

But is that any surprise? Take a good hard look at the Republican Party. At Texas and their attempt to rewrite history, or Dover and their attempt to add "mysticism" to science.

It's no surprise that education in the sciences has declined as Republicans have gained power. Republicans have taught their children to disrespect teachers and scientists and worse, education.

When Republicans talk about "those darned liberal" professors, what would they teach differently? They have their own Christian colleges. No "remarkable discoveries" are coming out of those campuses. Nothing truly innovative or new.

Take evolution away from science and what possible discoveries will be found in biology, botany and physiology?

The right just wants an "imaginary" world where their ideology "becomes" science. Well, it's not gonna happen.

[SIZE="s"]This discussion is about liberals and conservatives, not democrats and republicans, so take your sillly little 6% argument somewhere else. [/SIZE]

As for your ridiculous notion that nothing good ever comes out of conservative colleges. Well, that is more than ridiculous. Anyone with even half an ounce of common sense and honesty would admit that liberal/conservative really doesn't have anything to do with innovation.

Probably the two greatest scientists in the history of the world were Galilleo and Albert Einstein. Galileao was a practicing Catholic, Einstein an atheist. Guess that dispels your theory huh?

As for your notion that conservatives have taught their children to misbehave LOL. I live in a small community and have set on the local school board for several years now, and can tell you without hesitation that the children who's parents don't assist in disciplining their children are liberal touchy feely "let kids be kids" types, not conservatives who believe in teaching values.
Do you even know the meaning of the word honesty?

Values? What "values" do you have? You can't even be honest.

You know, when conservatives post links, I always go read them. In fact, there have been many times where the link they posted actually took my position. It make me wonder if they even bother to go find out what the argument is all about or even read their own links.

They already have a "position" and don't need no stinking "facts".

So this is about "conservative" and "liberal"? Well that makes it even worse. At least some Democrats call themselves "conservative", but the number of scientists that calls themselves "conservative" is a staggering "9%" You heard me. 9%! While 66% call themselves "liberal". And they left out "teachers, professors or anyone who teaches in any way". This entire survey is strictly made up of US scientists who are working in this country in industry and the government. That means, the number of conservatives and Republicans has got to be FAR LESS.

528-52.gif

Public Praises Science; Scientists Fault Public, Media: Section 4: Scientists, Politics and Religion - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Galileao was a practicing Catholic, Einstein an atheist. Guess that dispels your theory huh?

You see? Who even knows what you are talking about? Galileo was excommunicated. As for Einstein, do you think "atheist" is a form of Christian religion?

As for your ridiculous notion that nothing good ever comes out of conservative colleges.

Where did I say that?

conservatives who believe in teaching values.

So far you've lied and misrepresented by accusing me of saying things I never did. So I ask again, "What "values" are you talking about?" because you don't seem to have many I would want.

There are folks in universities and school systems who are conservative. They have to keep a low profile because of heavy politics against them. Outnumbered in government and educational systems. These are small government and fiscal conservatives.

A liberal is a nuclear powered, goody two shoes, opinionated, social conservative. They love massive government, massive taxation on the people, and restrictive laws. They are also completely against ANY government reform. The system is just fine for them, continue sending your checks to them. Most of today's changes in society and laws that equate to the highest prison population in history came from liberals.

You see, liberals got this way because this is their payroll.
Your tax dollars at work: 2010 State Payroll - BostonHerald.com

They receive tax benefits, are not considered big business, and have a very nice gig going on thanks to almost a century of Democrat monopoly on legislation and power. I think last year you used to have to go page 30 to find anyone making under 150K in this state, now expect it's worse this year.

And the lower class and middle class are being denied a higher education because of cost restrictions.

Glad the liberals doing so well.

This is why conservatives have always been more charitable than liberals. Not a very good crew these liberals, extremely arrogant and selfish.

A common cry of many conservatives is that, in general, our institutions of higher learning in this country (colleges, universities, etc.) are "liberal." They teach "liberal concepts," they cater to liberals, all of the professors are liberals, and so forth. Let's assume, for sake of argument, that this is correct - that our colleges and universities are, for the most part, liberal.

What is it about our colleges and universities that makes them liberal, in your opinion and why do you think they became so, as opposed to leaning more toward conservative thought?

It's simple really. Credible colleges all teach science. Many conservatives belief systems don't allow for real scientific facts and accepted theories. That excludes most of the religious fundamentalists by their own choice. Also to expand on the religious theme... History and archeology defies much of the religious dogma and flies in the face of those that choose the bible and other religious doctrine as their historical guide.

Oh boy, another idiot who thinks liberals are automatically smarter than conservatives because they can conveniently ignore the fact that liberals are just as likely to call themselves Christians, or by another religious tag, as conservatives. Then they jump to the ridiculous conclusion that because conservatives are Christian that they believe the Earth is 5000 years old. and are thus totally ignorant about science.

Believe it or not, more conservatives have a solid grounding in science than liberals. Most liberals tend to specialize in social sciences or art, which means that their understanding of science stops somewhere in grade school. Conservatives tend to go into engineering, mathematics, and business, which means they have to deal with the real world. That means that even if they are brought up to believe that magic is what makes cars work, they are forced to learn that physics makes the world go round.

Would you like me to list all the Christian colleges in the US that have a better reputation for teaching science than any liberal arts college you can find? Or would the simple name of Harvard blow your little world apart?

Maybe you should stop using rdean as your source of arguments about science and politics.

I don't use rdean for anything.

How predictable..a knee jerk response that does not actually deal with the points I made. The OP asks why "more" not "only" a liberal bias. You are an idiot. Many fundimentalists do in fact believe the earth is 5000 years old.

As for blowing "my little world" apart ..it would take a hell of a lot more than you and your christian fascist fuckwits to accomplish that task. Do ya feel lucky punk?..well? do ya?

It's simple really. Credible colleges all teach science. Many conservatives belief systems don't allow for real scientific facts and accepted theories. That excludes most of the religious fundamentalists by their own choice. Also to expand on the religious theme... History and archeology defies much of the religious dogma and flies in the face of those that choose the bible and other religious doctrine as their historical guide.

Excellent answer. Thank you.

And therein lies the reason why there is no debate. The 'excellent answer' is the one that fits your own political view. You take as fact anything you agree with, and refuse to consider view that contradicts it.

That is why I say the left are incapable of individual thought. You're so fucking borg-like in your thought process - and that is what is wrong with our colleges. They don't teach kids how to think, they teach them what to think. And, I suspect, you don't even recognize the difference. Moron.

I have voted republican for more years than you have been alive sugar tits. For one with such a lofty IQ you do not display it very prominantly.

A common cry of many conservatives is that, in general, our institutions of higher learning in this country (colleges, universities, etc.) are "liberal." They teach "liberal concepts," they cater to liberals, all of the professors are liberals, and so forth. Let's assume, for sake of argument, that this is correct - that our colleges and universities are, for the most part, liberal.

What is it about our colleges and universities that makes them liberal, in your opinion and why do you think they became so, as opposed to leaning more toward conservative thought?

Because facts have a liberal bias

There are folks in universities and school systems who are conservative. They have to keep a low profile because of heavy politics against them. Outnumbered in government and educational systems. These are small government and fiscal conservatives.

A liberal is a nuclear powered, goody two shoes, opinionated, social conservative. They love massive government, massive taxation on the people, and restrictive laws. They are also completely against ANY government reform. The system is just fine for them, continue sending your checks to them. Most of today's changes in society and laws that equate to the highest prison population in history came from liberals.

They receive tax benefits, are not considered big business, and have a very nice gig going on thanks to almost a century of Democrat monopoly on legislation and power. I think last year you used to have to go page 30 to find anyone making under 150K in this state, now expect it's worse this year.

And the lower class and middle class are being denied a higher education because of cost restrictions.

This is why conservatives have always been more charitable than liberals. Not a very good crew these liberals, extremely arrogant and selfish.

Wow, what a scary unreality you live in.

I don't understand how the right wing makes up the most fantastic shit and then, without any type of evidence, data, statistics or any proof whatsoever, they are convinced their "imaginings" are "real". Must be scary.

They have to hate smart people, they are the ones with the fancy smancy facts that know just how and why the cons failed ideas failed.

Wow, what a scary unreality you live in.

I don't understand how the right wing makes up the most fantastic shit and then, without any type of evidence, data, statistics or any proof whatsoever, they are convinced their "imaginings" are "real". Must be scary.

It has been an embarrassment to be a republican for the last 40 years. Feel my pain!

the USMB has left me with the impression that those who are so conservative that they would make paranoid comments like the ones described in the OP, are poorly informed on politics, history and economics (for starters). any references to the proceeds of these studies is characterized as librul. the uni's disseminating all the librul drivel are the most libertarded of all in their view.

The name Harvard came from a Christian Minister in 1636. That was nearly four hundred years ago. Read the Harvard Mission Statement and there is nary a mention of "Gawd'.

Mission statement - Harvard University

And I'm just, pardon the word, "mystified", why the right would think they have lots of scientists and "stuff"?

The Republican truth is they have lots of scientists and "big" thinkers.

The truth "truth" is the right has only contempt for education which is exemplified by one of their leaders, Sarah Palin. The sad thing isn't that Mother Sarah rolled her eyes when the women said she was a "teacher", but the FACT that the right wing has made "teacher" a dirty word and the woman was "ashamed" of being a teacher. She said, "I have a few other jobs". Sad and pathetic.

YouTube - Sarah Palin - The eyeroll that did not happen - Homer, Alaska, August 7, 2010

Harvard Divinity School

Look at that, I can actually go to Harvard and graduate with a Th.D., and then go preach the gospel at almost any church in the country. I am pretty sure that would qualify them as a Christian school to most people.

And if I had known you were still harping on that Palin eye roll thing i would have pointed out how the left is, how did you put it, Sherroding her.

1st. The woman who claimed to be a teacher is a lot of things, and a teacher is not one of them. If Palin did roll her eyes here it could possibly be because someone was falsely claiming the honorable job of teacher for herself, when what she really is is a Theater Tech, at least according to the district website.

2nd. Did you notice the "I also have other jobs," line after the "eye roll?" She sings in a drag queen band, sits on the board of the local family planning clinic, does something for a radio station, and protests a lot. Not to mention the fact that the person behind the video, Shannyn Moore, is known to post outright lies about Palin,

3rd. This was a staged setup from the beginning, and the video was clearly edited to hide the fact.

Probably the majority of the best, private colleges in the nation (the Ivy League schools and half a dozen other small private colleges) bill themselves as "Christian" colleges. Yet these are the very same colleges I see derided by conservatives on a regular basis as being the homes of "liberal elitists."

President Obama went to Occidental but received his undergraduate degree from Columbia. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law School. Does anyone deny that abuse that has been heaped upon President Obama on this very board for his higher education and the various schools where it was obtained?

Why? WHY this distrust of higher education? There have been some good answers so far, mixed in with the usual garbage from the usual contributors thereof. But I have yet to read something that truly answers this question, in my opinion.

I thought I made that clear in a previous post, the government is involved in a lot of education decisions that should be left strictly up to the schools.

Then you couple that with the attitude of some graduates of various elite schools that a degree from their school is worth more than one from the University of Alabama or from Texas Tech, even though they are functionally equivalent and what makes the real difference is the person who gets the degree and not where it is from, and you get a mistrust of people who go to these schools.

Then we get the really obnoxious people who think that people without a college degree are somehow inferior to those who have one, and you get the icing on the cake. Why does Obama think everyone in the US should go to college? I would love to take him to my local Mensa chapter and introduce him to the garbage collector who solves complex math theorems for fun. Or the guy that used to be a bouncer in Long Island who is possibly the smartest guy in the United States.

In other words, the problem comes from both sides of the issue. Those on the education side who look down on the hoi polloi, and from the people who resent all those with an education because of the people who look down on them.

Oh boy, another idiot who thinks liberals are automatically smarter than conservatives because they can conveniently ignore the fact that liberals are just as likely to call themselves Christians, or by another religious tag, as conservatives. Then they jump to the ridiculous conclusion that because conservatives are Christian that they believe the Earth is 5000 years old. and are thus totally ignorant about science.

Believe it or not, more conservatives have a solid grounding in science than liberals. Most liberals tend to specialize in social sciences or art, which means that their understanding of science stops somewhere in grade school. Conservatives tend to go into engineering, mathematics, and business, which means they have to deal with the real world. That means that even if they are brought up to believe that magic is what makes cars work, they are forced to learn that physics makes the world go round.

Would you like me to list all the Christian colleges in the US that have a better reputation for teaching science than any liberal arts college you can find? Or would the simple name of Harvard blow your little world apart?

Maybe you should stop using rdean as your source of arguments about science and politics.

I don't use rdean for anything.

How predictable..a knee jerk response that does not actually deal with the points I made. The OP asks why "more" not "only" a liberal bias. You are an idiot. Many fundimentalists do in fact believe the earth is 5000 years old.

As for blowing "my little world" apart ..it would take a hell of a lot more than you and your christian fascist fuckwits to accomplish that task. Do ya feel lucky punk?..well? do ya?

You made points? Could you reiterate them? Because it looked to me that all you did was spout talking points.

Talking point 1. Credible colleges all teach science.
Talking point 2. Conservatives are religious and hate science.
Talking point 3. Religious people reject history.

Did I sum them up properly? Would you like me to point to the parts of my post that addressed these alleged points? Would you be able to comprehend them if I did?

Here is a credible liberal arts college and its fields of study.

https://www.amherst.edu/academiclife/departments

Now here is, by your standards, a non credible Christian college.

Oklahoma Baptist University

Look at that, bragging right there about their placement rate to medical school, even though it displays Baptist prominently in its name, and is in the middle of the Bible Belt.

Gee, I wonder how they get students into medical school when they are not a credible school, and they could not teach science because they are conservatives and Baptists to boot, and everyone knows Baptists don't believe in evolution, and they probably all believe in faith healing.

Since you insist that you do not use rdean for anything, the only possible explanation of you spouting the same ignorant nonsense that he does is that he uses you. That makes you nothing more than a poor imitation of rdean, and even less worthy of serious consideration than he is.

Because facts have a liberal bias

Yours certainly do.

Firstly I don't subscribe to ANY talking points. All my statements are my own and any that run parallel to someone elses ideas is purely coincidental.

#1 True fact

#2 I never said that Fundimentalists hate science. The term conservative is too vague and does not show up in my statement. Fundimentalists do not trust science. They avoid schools that reject their religious teachings.

#3 I never said "religious". I specifically and intentionally singled out fundimentalists.

Firstly I don't subscribe to ANY talking points. All my statements are my own and any that run parallel to someone elses ideas is purely coincidental.

:clap2:

The fact that you use the same words in the same order is purely a coincidence? Don't ever try that absurd defense in a court or a classroom when someone points out that you are plagiarizing someone else.

#1 True fact

#2 I never said that Fundimentalists hate science. The term conservative is too vague and does not show up in my statement. Fundimentalists do not trust science. They avoid schools that reject their religious teachings.

Nice try, but you forget that everything you post is there for everyone to see.

The minor fact that you left out the apostrophe when you wrote your post, probably because you lack a basic understanding of English grammar, does not change the fact that the word conservative does show up in your post, even if you know claim it does not.

Isn't there a word for that?

#3 I never said "religious". I specifically and intentionally singled out fundimentalists.

I remember the word now, it is lie.

The truth is that you are now attempting to backtrack from your original post because I proved that you are wrong. The clear emphasis of your post was on conservatives in general, their religious belief, and your attempt to equate all conservatives with religious fundamentalists.

Harvard Divinity School

I thought I made that clear in a previous post, the government is involved in a lot of education decisions that should be left strictly up to the schools.

Then you couple that with the attitude of some graduates of various elite schools that a degree from their school is worth more than one from the University of Alabama or from Texas Tech, even though they are functionally equivalent and what makes the real difference is the person who gets the degree and not where it is from, and you get a mistrust of people who go to these schools.

Then we get the really obnoxious people who think that people without a college degree are somehow inferior to those who have one, and you get the icing on the cake. Why does Obama think everyone in the US should go to college? I would love to take him to my local Mensa chapter and introduce him to the garbage collector who solves complex math theorems for fun. Or the guy that used to be a bouncer in Long Island who is possibly the smartest guy in the United States.

In other words, the problem comes from both sides of the issue. Those on the education side who look down on the hoi polloi, and from the people who resent all those with an education because of the people who look down on them.

Who even knows what point you want to make? Just weird "imaginings". Garbage collector? Bouncer?

Getting a degree from Texas Tech is a pretty big deal. Look at a tiny bit of their curriculum:

Cell Biology & Biochemistry
Cell Physiology and Molecular
Biophysics
Dermatology
Microbiology and Immunolog
Ophthalmology
Pathology

This is a "research University".

As far as the University of Alabama, they have a great biology department and teach "evolution", which of course, is the foundation science for biology, botany and physiology.

Department of Biological Sciences, The University of Alabama

Because you list some "great universities" in some southern states doesn't address the issue that the right has only contempt for education. They down evolution. I bet the universities you listed are chock full of "liberal elitist scientists" teaching there.

Even Michael Behe, the father of the "Irreducible Complexity" phrase, while on the stand at Dover, Penn, was asked, "If following the same criteria that makes ID "science", would "Astrology" and "Alchemy" also be "science"?" And he said, "Yes".

So, Alchemy, Astrology and Intelligent Design are "equal". And we want to teach this at "universities"? Many members of the right do. Probably even the majority. To me, that would be a major embarrassment to even seriously suggest something so nonsensical.

It's simple, Marxists set as their goal to take over American media and education and they succeeded. It's only since they lost their media monopoly that we're seeing the extent of the damage

1963 Communist goals

15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States (Democrats totally taken over after fall of USSR in early 90's)

17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers' associations. Put the party line in textbooks.

Forum List

Back