Liberal arguments for supporting gun ownership rights

I have run across more and more liberals who are either pro-gun, or ambivalent about it. I can't think of any liberals whose #1 pet peeve is gun control. I think crime rates have been slowly going down since the 90's, so maybe that's why. People just can't get worked up about it.

On the other hand, eight years of Bush have probably made many liberals reconsider the wisdom of giving the government a monopoly on firepower.

What I find REALLY interesting, is IMO, ideologically, liberalism would support gun rights and conservatism would support gun control. Wonder how THAT happened?:confused:

That is really interesting and it's the basic argument I use with seemingly like minded individuals who disagree on gun control.

"So the government doesn't have the right to intrude on my life and dictate who I worship, who I have consensual sex with, what I write, watch, read, and say, what drugs I take, or who I associate with. But they have the right to take away my property?"

Liberty is either absolute or it isn't liberty.

No doubt. I guess this is one topic where the general term "liberal" doesn't really apply. Problem is, the anti-gun lobby and/or its followers all firmly entrench themselves on the left and support Democrats.

of this is one of those times where the term liberal applies.

think
:cool:

From what I understand, Biden is a real gun control weenie.

I think the NRA does the same as the anti-gunners. The majority of their support comes from the right, and Republican politicians so that is who it supports.

What I find REALLY interesting, is IMO, ideologically, liberalism would support gun rights and conservatism would support gun control. Wonder how THAT happened?:confused:

nothing happened. Reagan and others got to redefine what some people think the term means and they demonized the liberals in order to win elections. Problem is the demons are and were populist progressives of all stripes.

Reagan was a populist progressive. :eusa_whistle:

Liberals don't have an argument for gun control. Their argument is illogical. But hey, don't tell them.:eusa_shhh:
As long as guns are kept out of the hands of spouse abusers, I can live with anyone else owning a licensed firearm.

As long as guns are kept out of the hands of spouse abusers, I can live with anyone else owning a licensed firearm.

that will never happen.

women (and some men) need to learn when to walk away and cut their emotional losses. I will never understand people who stay with an abusive partner long enough for the bonds to gel. of course there are a few exceptions...but they prove the rule(s)

that will never happen.

women (and some men) need to learn when to walk away and cut their emotional losses. I will never understand people who stay with an abusive partner long enough for the bonds to gel. of course there are a few exceptions...but they prove the rule(s)
Actually, in some states, firearms are removed when there is a restraining order for DV.

The reason some folks stay in abusive relationships is being studied now by psychologists. The phenomena is being labelled 'trauma bonding'. It occurs among women and men who were abused as children. They later grow up and find themselves in abusive adult relationships that they have difficulty leaving. It's not unlike 'stockholm syndrome' which describes the condition in which captives or hostages become bonded to their captors.

You are aware I hope that ANY charge of family violence or any charge that results in cops showing up means you lose the right to own guns. Even misdomeaners and even those never prosecuted. This includes if two people just happen to share a house for rent and get in a fight.

that will never happen.

Anyone charged with any sort of family abuse can not own firearms ever again. I sure wish people actually knew the laws we have passed.

Anyone charged with any sort of family abuse can not own firearms ever again. I sure wish people actually knew the laws we have passed.

wow! then somebody ought to tell them that.

laws cannot stop shitheads from doing damage. hat is why I strongly urge people who are in danger from such abuse to arm themselves...illegally if possible. better alive in court than dead in bed.

The thing is, inner city thugs get their hands on guns easier than the southern central american small towns. The gun laws are really meant for densly populated areas where gangs are likely to exist. I could care less what gun laws are passed outside populated cities, its the large ones thought that are need the continued reform that has been going on over the last couple years. Gun laws only change when a tragedy happens, it should be the other way around....laws should be preventing tragedy, at the very least accidental gun violence. I think a spotless record should be required to own a gun. I mean like zero felony offenses and like one or two misdemeanors.

What kind of guns do you own?

Ohh I have some really nasty ones. Of course only the M1 Carbine counts as one of those evil "assault rifles" The M1 Garand doesn't have a detachable magazine so it is not an "assault rifle".

My daughter currently has my 9mm handgun since someone threatened her and her boyfriend.

Ohh and I have over 1000 rounds for the carbine and over 600 for the Garand. Even have several 30 round magazines for that nasty little "assault rifle" Had a bayonet for both but lost them when we moved last time.

The thing is, inner city thugs get their hands on guns easier than the southern central american small towns. The gun laws are really meant for densly populated areas where gangs are likely to exist. I could care less what gun laws are passed outside populated cities, its the large ones thought that are need the continued reform that has been going on over the last couple years. Gun laws only change when a tragedy happens, it should be the other way around....laws should be preventing tragedy, at the very least accidental gun violence. I think a spotless record should be required to own a gun. I mean like zero felony offenses and like one or two misdemeanors.

Any Felony and you lose the right to own weapons. I suggest you learn the law.

FRANK URGES LIBERALS TO DROP GUN CONTROL, STRESS OTHER ISSUES

WASHINGTON - Rep. Barney Frank, who is known as one of the most liberal members of Congress, said yesterday that liberal Democrats should stop pushing for issues such as gun control so that the party can win support for what he called the more important liberal agenda of housing and abortion rights.

The Massachusetts Democratic congressman said he still supports numerous gun control measures, such as the proposal for a 7-day waiting period to buy a gun, which was defeated this fall. But he stressed that liberals could stop proclaiming gun control as a priority.

Frank also said liberal Democrats should stop backing proposals that put the government in the position of "regulating ...

wonder why he cares if they die by gun or by suction?

Forum List

Back