Libera Media Says Iwo Jima Photo Was Staged

And I'm sure the same was true when Bush's aids put up the "mission accomplished" banner. Right? :tongue1:

You mean when the military phase of invading Iraq was completed? That WAS "mission accomplished." Attempting to misconstrue it as something else is about as honest at the photo with photoshopped plumes of smoke.

And I'm sure the same was true when Bush's aids put up the "mission accomplished" banner. Right? :tongue1:
Thanks for pointing that out. I knew the fing dems photoshopped that brouhaha. I mean, no self respecting administration would be caught that short, so it was staged, for a real reason. Right, Jillian?

Just like Israel f'd up the battle, and we really are winning against those that would like to slit our throats.

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew the fing dems photoshopped that brouhaha. I mean, no self respecting administration would be caught that short, so it was staged, for a real reason. Right, Jillian?

Just like Israel f'd up the battle, and we really are winning against those that would like to slit our throats.

No one said the Iwo Jima thing was photoshopped.

Marine Corps History Class:

A small, personal US flag was the first flag raised on Iwo Jima. That flag raising is documented on film. No one officially or unofficially has ever denied this took place that I am aware of.

The second flag-raising, and the subject of Joe Rosenthal's famous picture was a larger, offical, US flag, and was carried out under fire. I have never seen it claimed to be the only or the original flag-raising.

Well, that is unless you learned your history from Hollywood movies which have depicted the second flag-raising as "the" flag-raising. I beleive they call that "liberal license" for the purpose of their story and/or due to time constraints.

Having personally stood upon Mt Surabachi, I'm more than happy to admit that I wouldn't have wanted to be there for the first, fifth, nor tenth flag-raising because in each case, the Marines and Corpsman who raised that flag were targets outlined against the sky to Japanese soldiers.

In other words, this is much adieu about nothing, and anyone attempting to downplay the bravery of those Marines and Corpsman that raised the US colors over a battlefield in the midst of some of the most hellacious fighting of WWII can meet me out back. We got something to "discuss."

I am reading "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley. Awesome book about the six men who raised that flag...should be required reading in every high school in America.

I am reading "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley. Awesome book about the six men who raised that flag...should be required reading in every high school in America.

Those guys were "Old Corps," and have nothing but my respect. As I previously posted, I've stood on Mt Surabachi (we had to get the JDF's permission, if you can believe THAT). I am in nothing but awe of those who participated in that assault, and anyone attempting to disrespect them or tarnish the memory of what they did is an ungrateful piece of shit in my book.

They said it was "staged", not photoshopped. As far as I know, photoshop didn't exist back then. :laugh:

Hey, I understood they took multiple shots. They knew what they were doing, patriotism wise.

The photoshops today, are all on the terrorists side, perhaps for the reason that the other side is 'open' regarding the media? D'oh. I fear not for long.

Funny thing Jillian, you seem pro-Israel, but you are on the side of the stfu.

Hey, I understood they took multiple shots. They knew what they were doing, patriotism wise.

The photoshops today, are all on the terrorists side, perhaps for the reason that the other side is 'open' regarding the media? D'oh. I fear not for long.

The first flag raising:

http://history.acusd.edu/cdr2/WW2Pics/20610.jpg

The second:

http://history.acusd.edu/cdr2/PATCH/NA/ww2156.jpg

I supposed the 23,500+ Marine casualties were "staged" too.

I agree they knew what they were doing in taking multiple shots. FWIW, I don't think it diminishes the emotional resonance of the moment.

As far as the photo shop stuff, I don't think that should be done, but it wasn't really what I was commenting on. I was commenting on the fact that everyone likes to orchestrate their own "moments".

I'm afraid I don't know what "stfu" means.... but I don't just seem pro-Israel. Being pro something doesn't mean looking at it with an uncritical eye, though.... Have you been, btw?

Now hear this.

During 1995 my unit sent out a delegation from Okinawa to Iwo Jima to assist in the fiftieth anniversary celebration.

I still have black sand. I, and several other Marines, humped all over that island and went up the mountain as well. Nothing in hollywierd gives one an appreciation until you walk the ground.

The second flag was put up for morale purposes and was done under combat conditions. Anyone foolish enough to badmouth those Marines will not make it outside to meet the Gunny.

As an aside, I met and made friends with the Platoon Commander of the Marines that raised the flag on the mountain. It was in the late nineties when I was assigned to training reservists in west Texas. He used to come by the training center regularly. He looks like someones sainted grandfather. Hard to believe he is an old lion who was awarded the Navy Cross for gallantry in action. He missed the history books as he lay wounded on the slope.

I have a signed copy of his [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096446750X/ref=cm_rv_thx_view/002-6070451-3615221?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155"]book[/ame], read it. It will do you good.

That is all.

Now hear this.

During 1995 my unit sent out a delegation from Okinawa to Iwo Jima to assist in the fiftieth anniversary celebration.

I still have black sand. I, and several other Marines, humped all over that island and went up the mountain as well. Nothing in hollywierd gives one an appreciation until you walk the ground.

The second flag was put up for morale purposes and was done under combat conditions. Anyone foolish enough to badmouth those Marines will not make it outside to meet the Gunny.

As an aside, I met and made friends with the Platoon Commander of the Marines that raised the flag on the mountain. It was in the late nineties when I was assigned to training reservists in west Texas. He used to come by the training center regularly. He looks like someones sainted grandfather. Hard to believe he is an old lion who was awarded the Navy Cross for gallantry in action. He missed the history books as he lay wounded on the slope.

I have a signed copy of his book, read it. It will do you good.

That is all.

As I used to tell my Marines ..."Damn, y'all got the Top all riled up. Guess you can stand the fuck by now."

How many times are you libs going to try to bring this up? The Carrier was going home. Their mission was accomplished. They are the ones who put the banner up.

Anyone with any sort of intellectual honesty can see that.

Anyone with any sort of intellectual honesty can see that.

This aint a lib thing. I actually know liberal/progressives who are as straight as a well made arrow. Intellectual Honesty comes hard to the ABB specific loony tunes.

Forum List

Back