Li air, Zn air batteries

More interesting research in electrical storage technology.

The All-Electron Battery- a quantum leap forward in energy storage

Researchers at Stanford University seek to develop an “All-Electron Battery” that would enable a completely new class of electrical energy storage devices for electric vehicles. The All-Electron Battery has the potential to provide ultra-high energy and power densities, while enabling extremely high cycle life. This novel battery stores energy by moving electrons, rather than ions, and uses electron/hole redox instead of capacitive polarization of a double-layer. This technology uses a novel architecture that has potential for very high energy density because it decouples the two functions of capacitors: charge separation and breakdown strength. If successful, this project will develop a completely new paradigm in energy storage for electric vehicles that could revolutionize the electric vehicle industry.

Here's the deal. The "alternate energy" people aren't dealing with the reality of alternate technology. They are relying on emotion and pipe dreams of what alternate energy might be like in an alternate universe while they peddle their crap and the US goes down the tubes under gigantic whirring hunks of junk and solar panels that provide enough energy to run a radio on a sunny day. The moral of the story is that we would all be using it if it worked but it don't..

From 2.5 gw of wind in 1999, to nearly 49 gw at present. Solar expanded over 80% in 2011. Be nice to have a bank account that expanded at the rate of wind or solar. But dunderheads like Whitey will always state that an eighty per cent increase in a year doesn't mean anything. LOL

https://www.cleanenergyexperts.com/2012/01/07/u-s-solar-installations-continuing-to-increase/

As a result of weakness in the commercial solar market, SEIA revised its 2011 installation forecast downward to 1.7 GW from 1.8 GW which would still represent year over year growth of approximately 89%. I am sure that they are still holding their buggy whip manufacturer stock, knowing for sure that these horseless carriages are just a minor shortlived fad.

Germany just pulled the plug in their alternate energy sector grants etc. ( 100 bn, bye bye), the eu carbon trading scheme is for all intent and purposes, dead....next.

My impressions so far are this: do NOT wait for the government to lead the way.

Reduce your energy consumption/waste, first.
Then, build your own solar thermal panels.

Bottom line: develop your OWN alternative energy program.

NegaWatters -- I hate em.. Think they're saving the planet by slowly taking away the light and progress.

Can't sit in a California airport and read tech journals anymore. The lights go off while you're sitting there. Have to wait for someone to walk by or wave your arms like a "crazy person".. To make ENERGY RARE -- which is the obvious result of aggressive conservation -- is to make energy EXPENSIVE. The change is California since I left 5 years ago is disturbing. It's dark, and dirtier and depressing in every public venue..

Energy needs to PLENTIFUL and CHEAP... Or you can kiss your "advanced EVs" bye bye. Nobody will be employed to buy them...

Last edited:
NegaWatters -- I hate em.. Think they're saving the planet by slowly taking away the light and progress.

Can't sit in a California airport and read tech journals anymore. The lights go off while you're sitting there. Have to wait for someone to walk by or wave your arms like a "crazy person".. To make ENERGY RARE -- which is the obvious result of aggressive conservation -- is to make energy EXPENSIVE. The change is California since I left 5 years ago is disturbing. It's dark, and dirtier and depressing in every public venue..

Energy needs to PLENTIFUL and CHEAP... Or you can kiss your "advanced EVs" bye bye. Nobody will be employed to buy them...

Flats, you get dumber every day. Conservation of energy does not mean less generation, it means less use for a given task. Don't know what it is with you 'Conservatives', but the idea of spending less money to do the same amount of work seems to be an anthema to you. Hardly what I would consider a conservative value system.

Ni-MH and Li-Poly batteries have been used in Model Airplanes quite successfully for at least 10 years now. Li-Air batteries look promising for: R/C Model Airplanes and Cars.

R/C Model Airplanes and Cars which are small, light and only need 5 or ten minutes of run time.

Yeah, the paper OldRocks posted said a 500 mile range is POSSIBLE on one charge, but a little research into it reveals that it won't be available until the 2020-2030 time frame.

Meanwhile, I would suggest people look into what China is doing to corner the Rare Earth Minerals/Metals market and what (besides Opium) is thought to be available in abundance in Afghanistan. Do that and you'll discover the real reason we are there. Hint: It's NOT Al-Qaida or the Taliban. :D

Zinc-air, far cheaper, and a metal we have plenty of, would deliver 3 times the energy density of the present lithium polymer batteries. Lithium is not that rare, one of the metals that we recover from geo-thermal brines in California. Also, in some hydrate brines in South America.

I like hydrocarbons myself. They're groovy.
I've said nice things about batteries, alternatives, renewables, etc. from time to time.
Not many folks say anything nice about hydrocarbons.
And that kinda makes me sad.

I've said nice things about batteries, alternatives, renewables, etc. from time to time.
Not many folks say anything nice about hydrocarbons.
And that kinda makes me sad.

Hydrocarbons got us where we are today. However, they have some definate drawbacks when used in vast amounts rapidly. We are seeing the effects of those drawbacks at present.

A lot of people still like and use horses.

:eusa_boohoo:
Not many folks say anything nice about hydrocarbons. And that kinda makes me sad.

Hydrocarbons work for all kinds of applications, including chainsaws. We can stop using them all at once, and the sea will still rise up and claim the East Coast and NOLA and more, all over the world.

With continued over-reliance on hydrocarbons, the very real possibility exists, YOU can see some of the impending, global warming related destruction, near you, and the other possibility exists, that destruction will claim your life, or that of someone near you.

Of course, if you are like the dead, bath-house 'mos, who tricked and shot speed, to shove their dose of HIV, all the way through AIDS and death, like Fatass and buttpunk and other fools, who post here, no hope exists, for you, at all, until your demise.

Kindly notice the bath-houses are CLOSED.

Last edited:
Let's hope this works out better than "advanced lithium-ion"...

A123's cash burn another black eye for green tech - Yahoo! Finance

DETROIT (Reuters) - Once a high-flying green technology company, battery maker A123 Systems Inc on Friday told investors it has about five months of cash left to fund operations, adding to woes for a sector short on results and long on government loans.

The company, which received a $249 million grant from the Obama administration as part of a program to develop advanced lithium-ion batteries, said in documents filed with U.S. regulators that it "expects to have approximately four to five months of cash to support its ongoing operations" based on its recent monthly spending average.

Forum List

Back