Lever actions rifles for self defense

All joking aside, the best home-defense weapon should be able to take a bayonet. If you notice, most rifles in he AR platform still have the bayonet lug on them. Not all, but most. I keep one handy for my AK because nothing says "FUCKYOU" more than a pointy-stabby thing on the end of a shooty thing.

the only problem is in home defense is being able to move around in the house with such a long weapon

Thats easy enough.
As long as you keep it in the high ready position your good.
I can acquire my target every bit as fast with my AR as I can with my FNX .45 tactical.
There's a reason why our military doesn't clear structures with pistols.
hahhahahahahah-WRONG
they clear with rifles because the majority have rifles--not pistols
hahahhahah
I was in for 8 years---and you?

How many structures did you clear in a combat zone?
And that would depend on what branch you were in.
To add to that if the pistol was a better weapon for clearing structures dont you think they would be issued?
hahahhahahah!!
I can tell you never served
""MOST'' carry rifles in the INFANTRY who do MOST of the fighting!!! --that is the Army and Marines--not the Navy or Air Force !!!!!!!!!!
...the standard issue is the RIFLE!! --plain and simple

If pistols were superior for clearing structures ......

All joking aside, the best home-defense weapon should be able to take a bayonet. If you notice, most rifles in he AR platform still have the bayonet lug on them. Not all, but most. I keep one handy for my AK because nothing says "FUCKYOU" more than a pointy-stabby thing on the end of a shooty thing.

the only problem is in home defense is being able to move around in the house with such a long weapon

Thats easy enough.
I can acquire my target every bit as fast with my AR as I can with my FNX .45 tactical.
see post # 32

So you were an REMF.
a. Organic Weapons. Theorganic weapons of the squad are as follows: (1) Squad Leader. M-16 rifle and bayonet knife. (2) Fire Team Leader/Grenadier. M-16 rifle with a 40 mm, M-203 grenade launcher attached and bayonet knife. (3) Automatic Rifleman. Squad automaticweapon (SAW) and combat knife (K-bar). (4) Assistant Automatic Rifleman. M-16 rifle and bayonet knife. (5) Rifleman. M-16 rifle and bayonet knife.
https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/MCWP 3-11.2 Marine Rifle Squad.pdf

The M14 is used today.
Shorter barrel making it better for clearing structures.
You're making my point for me here.

hah
This is my lever-action "home defense" rifle. Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

Haven't figured out how to mount a bayonet on the end though..

marlin%20336_9b.jpg

duct tape always works,,,

Thats easy enough.
hahahahahahahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF--also--along with my other points--you think they are going to go against AKs holding 30 rounds with PISTOLS????!!!!!!!

Again,you're making my point.
Thanks.

Thats easy enough.
see post # 32

So you were an REMF.
hahahahahahahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF--also--along with my other points--you think they are going to go against AKs with 30 rounds vs PISTOLS????!!!!!!!
DUMBASSES!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha....thanks for making my point yet again.

I know many people on here are enamored of the AR rifles. But in many places there is so much regulation and/or bans that looking for an alternative long gun makes since.

Positives:
1) Come in variety of calibers, including some hard hitting thumpers.
2) Specialty ammo, such as ratshot loads, work just fine in a lever gun.
3) Magazine capacity beats most rifles that don't have a detachable magazine.
4) Can be reloaded without taking the rifles out of readiness.
5) Accurate enough out to 100 yards (more with the newer ammo available).
6) Durable in all conditions. They usually have very strong actions.
7) Misfire or jams are easily cleared.
8) Less likely to cause legal problems or interference from law enforcement.

Negatives:
1) Reloading is slower
2) Firing accurately is slightly slower
3) Lower magazine capacity than modern semi-autos.
4) Not as accurate at greater distances (although I'm not sure this is a big deal for home defense).

I owned an AR some years ago. I built it as a coyote gun. It did the trick wonderfully. And it was fun to shoot. But, being raised watching westerns, I have always loved shooting a lever gun. I only own 2 semi auto rifles. I have a Springfield M1A and a Ruger 10/22. The M1A is a great gun and as accurate as I can take advantage of, for sure. But it is 3.5 inches shy of being 4 feet long (44.33") and weighs over 9 lbs empty. My Marlin 1894 is only 38.5 inches long and weighs 6.5 lbs. It holds 10 rounds of .44 Rem Magnum. Now, if I were on a battlefield, the M1A would be my first choice. But in the house, the Marlin wins for the rifles. I own 3 lever guns. And I would trade any of them.
If I may suggest the MARLIN 444 it only drops 36 in at 360 yards but has a kick that makes you really shocked. It will take down anything walking on the North American ground.

I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70Govt. That is a thumper. Even if you have plate armor and the bullet doesn't penetrate, you will be flat on your ass.

I have a Marlin lever action in .44 Rem Magnum that makes a great home defense gun. Like my revolvers, the first round is ratshot, then MagSafe rounds behind that. Short handy little rifle.

Forum List

Back