Letters from the Front

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Richmond, 1781 - written by Betsy Ambler, 16 years old.

My dear Mildred,

What an alarming crisis this is! War in itself, however distant, is indeed terrible, but when brought to our very doors, when those we most love are personally engaged in it, when our friends and our neighbors are exposed to its ravages, when we know assuredly that without sacrificing many dear to us as our own lives, our country must remain subject to Britain's tyranny, the reflection is overwhelming.

Oh, my dearest girl, I tremble for your safety. Where were you hid when the enemy passed your door? We only had time to learn that they were on the road from Richmond when we were again in the carriage, and in a few hours reached this place where it would seem impossible for us to be in any danger.

Great cause have we for thankfulness, and however dreary it is I will endeavor to be contented, hoping and trusting for a speedy deliverance. But how dreadful the idea of any enemy passing through such a country as ours, committing enormities that fill the mind with horror! Oh! my friend, when will there be an end to our sorrows!

Betsy

Iraq

March 6, 2004.

Being separated is the hardest part of my job. I want to be there for my son to play with, I want to hold my daughter, and I want to talk with my wife. I am able to overcome the pain first and foremost with a positive attitude. I have so much to be thankful for. My family is able to enjoy the freedom and luxuries that most countries in the world do not have. Every day I am reminded of the greatness of our America government because the country of Iraq has so little. We enjoy running water that is purified. I am in Mosul, Iraq and responsible for a water project to build this same basic necessity for the people in the surrounding villages. Most of the houses do not have running water, and the water they do get comes directly from the river. It isn't purified so they experience a lot of diseases in their lives.

The other way I overcome the pain of being separated from my family is the camaraderie with my fellow soldiers. I take great pride in taking care of my soldiers and being there for them. I try to make their lives better by doing my job the best I can. The soldiers need competent leaders who care about them. So although I am sacrificing time with my family, I believe whole heartedly that doing my job the best I can saves my soldier's lives and makes their lives better.

home

Just a little reminder that young men and women and thier families from the beginning of our nation till now have sacrificed and continue to do so daily . It is my wish that they all ahve a safe and Happy New Year and that the coming New Year finds those that have been deployed for so long find themselves back in their loveds ones arms safely and soon.

Thank you For Sharing this Navy.

I really Appreciate it.

I never forget the Sacrifice and Courage these Men and Women go through every day, sometimes it's unimaginable what they go through..

-Nick.

To my brothers and sisters who did and do all they can and sacrifice to be there for those they are charged to help.
To all the other troops who we served.

CorpsmanInsignia1-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back