Let's talk planting-Tomatoes, Onions, et al....

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
I finally have a yard! :woohoo:

Now, we want to make a garden to plant tomatoes, onions, maybe asparagus, carrots......

Advice please, this will be my first real garden!

Thanks!

Let's talk about tomato recipes.

bi-72960.jpg

:lol:

Now, we want to make a garden to plant tomatoes, onions, maybe asparagus, carrots......

Thanks!

1. Don't overdo it. Believe me its so easy to plant far more than you can ever use, and unless you're into canning or giving the stuff away you'll regret it.

2. Mix up your crops -- Every year will be a good year for some crops and a bad year for others.

3.Don't overspend on tools, and fertilizer and insecticides -- Again, your enthusiasum when you first start gardening tends to make most of us end up spending more than was necessary.

4. Buy a Mantis, not a rototiller -- if you are planting a large garden they are, in my opinion, BEST TOOL imaginable. Not only do they do a fine job ov breaking new soil, without destroying the soils structure (which rots often do) but they are wonderful tools for weeding, too.

5. Make sure your manure is COMPOSTED -- Assuming you're using cow manure, you don't want the fresh stuff, you want the stuff that has been sitting around for a year or so so it doesn't burn your plants with too much nitrogen.

6. Start and feed a compost pile year round -- Kitchen scraps (only veggies, not meat) and all the weeds and whatnot turns into free (and truly wonderful) fertilizer. Learn how to manage one and it is a great way to keep your soil vibrant and productive.

Last edited:
Get a Sweet One Hundred cherry tomato plant. The ones I've planted have been highly productive, and the little tomatoes are DELISH!

Thanks!

Apparently bodies make great natural fertilizer.

But she's a vegetarian! Wouldn't body fertilizer make her an indirect carnivore?

One cherry tomato plant will probably be enough for your family and one or two big tomato plants. Leaf lettuce is easy and quick to grow - can be planted in rounds - so you always have some growing. Herbs are fun and easy too

Check out "companion plants" - plants that do really well next to or around each other, versus plants that do not thrive together.

Organic isn't tough to do and you can eat stuff right out of the garden without worrying about chemicals.

Give me a holler ANY time. Been playing in the dirt since I was a baby and still do. ;)

Forum List

Back