Let's Talk Key West!

Well, thank you ALL for your tips and ideas.

But.........now we have decided to go to Siesta Key. The kids schedule's, yada yada,,,anyway, I used to go there as a kid/teen with my family, so I'm excited to go back again after all of these years. We'll be flying into Tampa and then renting a car to drive to places, such as Disney World, Bush Gardens, etc.

Can't wait!

*We are going to go to Key West, but make it in the winter time.

The gulf is great. I might even prefer it to the ocean side. the weather will be fine on the island. But if you burn, and you've said you do, cover up, and use heavy sunscreen. the sun is intense. if you go to any parks, drink lots of water, you will dehydrate. drink more than you think you need too. seriously 5 -6 big bottles won't be too much. what's nice is all the major parks have those misters now on the lines so you can cool off. schedule lots of pool time too. if you aren't used ot it, the heat will be enough to make you sick

just have fun.....like someone said....go out early and then back for lunch and a nap in the ac.....out again for fun when the sun is going down.....it will be a blast..watching the boats come in with their catches...try to catch the green flash at sun up or sun down....only the lucky see that

I love Florida.

I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could Mrs. Clean on board.

But Florida's got he beaches and the boating and the fishing and the diving and it's summer all year long.

And it's cheap.

echo....here is the water measuring thing....your urine should not be colored or smell......if it is....you are not drinking enough water....you want your urine to be colorless and odorless....in the south that takes a goodly bit of water.....so now arent you happy you will be drinking and peeing the whole time....

But Florida's got he beaches and the boating and the fishing and the diving and it's summer all year long.

And it's cheap.

new orleans has voodoo and the grave of marie laveau.....i am a terra firma girl

and its very expensive

plus my dogs dont like that heat and humidity...they tend not to move....

And it's cheap.

new orleans has voodoo and the grave of marie laveau.....i am a terra firma girl

and its very expensive

plus my dogs dont like that heat and humidity...they tend not to move....

What's better than a dog that doesn't want to move?

We are going there late July. I've never been to Florida in the summer, let alone that far south.

What's the weather like that time of the year down there? Are the bugs and critters bad? Do I need to stock up on bug spray and SPF 80 lotion?

What kind of fun things have you done there? There will be 2 adults and 2 girls, ages 16, and one boy, age 18. So family fun ideas are needed too. Thanks!
Humidity so thick you have to cut your path.
Rain you can set your clocks by (2-3pm).
SPF is very wise, though I've never used the stuff :D
Skeeters can be bad at night if there isn't a good coastal breeze, but being Key West you should be okay.
Snorkeling is AWESOME in the Keys.
Kids can get wake boards real cheap at any big souvenir/beach shop.
Beautiful sunsets/sunrises!!
Southern-Most point is a must for a family picture.

Plenty of walking and shopping and eating.
Be biker friendly and don't be easily offended by openly gay couples.

Conch Shack is delicious.

Mile Marker 0 bumper sticker :D
Salt water taffy (most little coupon books will have one for it free at afore-mentioned beach shop with qualifying purchase)
:cool:

Probably not bringing fishing gear on your flight but most piers will rent ya one. :)

Try to avoid stopping in Miami.

Everglades are cool. Plenty of public areas.
Airboat tours.

Coming from Tampa, to get to the Keys, you gotta go through Naples (just outside of Ft Myers), beautiful little town with more great food.

Clearwater beach is great, near Tampa, if you get there early enough!! ;)

Forum List

Back