Let's talk about Wine!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
I love a Riesling, but I want to start drinking red wine sometimes.

Can anyone recommend a good red that would please my palate like a Riesling does?

So nothing too dry please.

Thanks!

:wine:

Can anyone recommend a good red that would please my palate like a Riesling does?

Thanks!

Nothing beats a 2009 Pubes.

But a good 2010 ConHog is a good alternative.

Thanks!

I like dry, so what I think tastes good might be too dry for you.

One of my favorites is JLohr Cabernet Sauvignon. Quite delicious. And it is reasonably priced...probably $12-13 per bottle.

The Yellowtails are even better priced and are pretty good.

You'd probably enjoy a fruity Zinfandel.

White Zinfandel is disgusting. Nobody should ever drink it.

Real Zinfandel is red.

Tis yummy.

md2020-banner.png

I love red wines at room temperature. Merlot or Pinot Noir are my favorites. Italian, Australian, California, New York, Croatia, France and Chile all make very fine wines.

A good red zin is not really sweet, it just has a more fruity flavor than a very dry wine.

I personly like Rioja's Rioja Wine Information
Here in Spain the cheapest wine is 60 cents a litre, but it's realy only good for cooking with
Riojas start at $2 a bottle, but a reserva will be $6 or more

Ya gotta start somewhere, so go to a tasting and find out what you like.

I tend to like fruitier wines, so nice cabs and merlots from Sonoma Valley and Alexander Valley are generally my favourites. Cabernets tend to be fuller bodied wine compared to merlots, but I like both. I also like wines from Chile and Australia. They are similar to California wines. There are some Spanish wines I like as well.

Wines from Europe tend to be dustier than California wines. They usually need to breathe for 20-30 minutes before drinking. I don't like them as much, but my wife prefers them because they aren't as sweet as fruitier wines.

Wines from further north tend to be more acidic, which I don't like as much. But some do. So wines from Washington state, upstate New York, British Columbia and Ontario fit the bill.

Malbecs from Argentina have become trendy, but I find them hit and miss. They are good value though.

I generally buy wines priced between $10 and $20 a bottle. That's my sweet spot. I can find decent wines below $10, especially if they come as specials in the wine store, but generally, lower price is lower quality to me. On the other hand, my nose isn't discernible enough to pick out a high quality wine. I've had expensive, $100+ bottles, but frankly, I'm too much of a heathen to tell the difference.

Now that I've written this, I have a sudden urge for a glass. Think I'll go pop me a bottle!

Thanks!

You're going to be hard pressed to find a red wine that's as fruity and sweet as most Reislings.

Some [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beaujolais are fairly sweet (not dry) and fruity.[/FONT]

Beaujolais Nouveau is made from the Gamay Noir à Jus Blanc grape, better known simply as Gamay. The grapes must come from the Beaujolais AOC, but grapes from the ten "cru" appellations are excluded. By law, all grapes in the region must be harvested by hand. This is because Beaujolais is made using carbonic maceration, whole berry fermentation which emphasizes fruit flavors without extracting bitter tannins from the skins of the grapes. The wine is then pasteurized[citation needed] to preserve the 'fresh' taste of the wine by preventing malolactic fermentation. The wine is ready to be drunk just 6-8 weeks after the harvest.

Here's the thing...they really need to be drunk while they're young, unlike many red wines that mellow and improve with age, Beaujolais Nouveau is seasonal and to be good, doesn't have a very long shelf life.

Last edited:
I know nothing about wines.

My standards are as follows:

If it has a cork, it must be one of those hoity-toity elitist librul wines. Therefore I only drink wines with screw-tops. I am a man of the people.

Thanks!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gya6Fzurw[/ame]

Forum List

Back