Let's talk about ethics, shall we?

everyone is ethically AND ethnically challenged on this one----votes to stay in power come before national security in America.

Kathianne said:
Yes, but in this particular case they did. Now they have Terry there, who will only serve to undermine the mainstream message that the GOP has worked so hard to build. Only a few weeks ago, the message was the DNC was being directed from the moveon/Soros fringe.

I have some problems with Terry; his use of the term, "theocracy", for one. A Christian theocracy is a contradiction in terms. Free will is the whole point of the exercise - therefore, a Christian would be a poor theocrat; a theocrat, a poor Christian. But some of the hatchet pieces I've been reading on him sink pretty low. Oppose abortion in this country, and you'll find yourself with some pretty powerful enemies.

How can he be blamed for knowing Kopp, who murdered the abortionist in Buffalo? I know a man on Ohio's death row - replaced him in a band some years ago, in fact. That doesn't make me a low-life. And how about Charles Schumer, trying to re-write bankruptcy law so that it SPECIFICALLY FORBIDS ABORTION ACTIVISTS TO DEFAULT ON COURT FINES ARISING FROM THEIR ACTIVITIES? No other person or group merited that kind of attention from Chucky. Aren't we raising hell with Republicans for supposedly doing that kind of thing in the Schiavo case?

As far as I can see, Terry isn't being called a PARTY spokesman by anybody. He has spoken on occasion for the Schindler family - and has certainly spoken for anti-abortion activists. What the hell - let him speak. The GOP hasn't built a mainstream message so much as it has REFLECTED it. We need to calm down; we're not going to lose our voice to extremists on either side.

MM, I do hear what you are saying, but with what has been happening since the election, the last thing we need to do is 'calm down.' If ever there was a time for reasonable conservatives to be heard, it is now.

Kathianne said:
MM, I do hear what you are saying, but with what has been happening since the election, the last thing we need to do is 'calm down.' If ever there was a time for reasonable conservatives to be heard, it is now.

In order to be heard they must first begin to speak.

Kathianne said:

Oh, I agree that the GOP has been in full retreat from the principles of conservatism for some time now - immigration, spending, on and on it goes. I've never been a "Bush, right or wrong" guy. I see tough, trying days ahead for the Republican Party - its power players are going to have to figure out just who the hell they are, and what they stand for.

I just worry that we're getting into "OMG - the sky is falling" mode over the Schiavo case, and it's just not warranted. The idea is to right the path of the party (if possible). I think we can calm down AND tackle the hard job ahead.

musicman said:
Oh, I agree that the GOP has been in full retreat from the principles of conservatism for some time now - immigration, spending, on and on it goes. I've never been a "Bush, right or wrong" guy. I see tough, trying days ahead for the Republican Party - its power players are going to have to figure out just who the hell they are, and what they stand for.

I just worry that we're getting into "OMG - the sky is falling" mode over the Schiavo case, and it's just not warranted. The idea is to right the path of the party (if possible). I think we can calm down AND tackle the hard job ahead.

I don't think any one thing is, "The sky is falling..." It's the totality of the issues. I know I'll be picking my 2006 choices very carefully.

Kathianne said:
I don't think any one thing is, "The sky is falling..." It's the totality of the issues.

And it is certainly not my intent to try to minimize these other issues that MUST be dealt with. I just can't help but think that the Schiavo case has - unjustifiably - served as a gigantic lightning rod for all that we conservatives feel is wrong with the GOP. Meanwhile, Soros - rubbing his hands together with glee - stokes the fire with bullshit polls and sleazy lies. I know you'll make your choices carefully in 2006, as will I. But I will also ponder the awful IMMEDIATE alternative to the GOP.

musicman said:
And it is certainly not my intent to try to minimize these other issues that MUST be dealt with. I just can't help but think that the Schiavo case has - unjustifiably - served as a gigantic lightning rod for all that we conservatives feel is wrong with the GOP. Meanwhile, Soros - rubbing his hands together with glee - stokes the fire with bullshit polls and sleazy lies. I know you'll make your choices carefully in 2006, as will I. But I will also ponder the awful IMMEDIATE alternative to the GOP.
Agreed---even prior to the election many of us had disagreements with Bushs' stand on several issues and responded as such when confronted by liberals a being in "lock step". What is noticeably absent is any dissent for many other party. The Dems seldom miss an opporunity to cry foul at the mere possibilty that Bush is "screwing up". They are no where to be seen. Perfection is a harsh thing to expect and while I think Bush has made some mistakes, I am not ready for the impeachment trial to begin quite yet.

Forum List

Back