Let's Revisit That Harvard Study

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
One of the things I've watched with some interest is the way in which the left quotes the 2009 Harvard "study" which somehow teases out a number of 45,000 so called pemature deaths due to a lack of health care.

This number was quoted on all fronts every night (it seemed) by the left in their desire to support the ACA. I was, again, reminded of it when intellectual giant Bill Maher quoted it in an interview where he efficiently dodged any questions about the mess the ACA has created.

Understanding this is the "Clean Debate Zone" where we are supposed to "debate" and not just throw stones, I decided to assert (once again) that the study is bogus and that utilizing as an argument for health care is foolish as it is a projection based on a group of assumptions and has never been close to being proven.

And so:

1. The study methodology (which isn't real clear in the summaries). It does not appear that all other causations have been eliminated or accounted for. In fact, one rebuttal stated that race was a significant factor in the results. It is a projection based on percentages. There is no effort to identify people where this can be specifically applied.

2. There is an issue with using these numbers as pointed out below:
Katherine Baicker, a Harvard University health economics professor, echoed that it’s hard to get good evidence for a connection between lacking insurance and dying. The uninsured often earn less money than those who have insurance, she said, and poverty is associated with worse health.

"So when you see that the uninsured have higher mortality, you don't know whether it is because they are uninsured or because they are lower income," Baicker said.

Henry Aaron, a senior fellow at the centrist-to-liberal Brookings Institution, told us in an interview that he, too, thinks the number of deaths is impossible to nail down. In addition to Kronick’s skepticism, he pointed to a study of Oregon’s Medicaid experiment (which Baicker co-authored and PolitiFact looked at here) that found no significant improvement in health outcomes, including conditions like blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar, between a group of new Medicaid enrollees and uninsured Oregonians who could not get on the Medicaid rolls.

"Like Kronick, I am a strong advocate of measures to achieve universal insurance coverage and would rather that Kronick’s study and the Oregon project provided evidence in support of my policy preference," he said. "But, as far as mortality is concerned, they just don’t."

http://www.politifact.com/florida/a...rayson-claims-45000-people-die-year-because-/

3. The left, despite my constant asking, has never been able to provide the names of people where this specifically applies. The study is now over 10 years old and there should be an identifiable 500,000 deaths that can directly attributed to lack of health care. Not one name (although many have cited people dying in Britan due to the NHC system).

And so I would argue that:

Using the number as a "fact" is ignorant or intellectually dishonest (or some of both).

Last edited:
Here is another little tidbit:

Researchers of the Harvard based their conclusion upon national surveys participants filled from 1986-1994. After checking how many of the adults died by the year 2000, researchers proceeded to make the unbelievable leap in assumption and faith that the uninsured stayed uninsured for all those years - and died as a result.

"Like unemployment, uninsurance happens to many people for short periods of time. Most people who are uninsured regain insurance with one year," Goodman wrote. "The authors of the study did not track what happened to the insurance status of the subjects over the decade examined, what medical care they received or even the causes of their deaths."

Read more: You Lie! MSNBC Lets Dem's False 45,000 Annual 'Uninsurance Deaths' Go Unchallenged | NewsBusters

As I've said in the past, it is difficult to come up with useful information. As much as I distrust the Harvard study, there are several studies cited in rebuttal. I have to look at these with a skeptical eye too.

The methodology does not appear (in the case of the Harvard study) to be sound.

Again: Does it bother anyone that people utilize this number as a fact when it can't be verified ?

Well, don't everyone on the left jump to the defense of one of your key talking points (which was often cited on this board) all at once.

Well, don't everyone on the left jump to the defense of one of your key talking points (which was often cited on this board) all at once.

What does that tell you L? Without their antics - they are literally left with nothing. And I do mean literally nothing. We've got facts (as you proved once again). They have verbal/physical attacks or nothing.

And since attacks are not tolerated in the CDZ, they are rendered silent.

What does that tell you L? Without their antics - they are literally left with nothing. And I do mean literally nothing. We've got facts (as you proved once again). They have verbal/physical attacks or nothing.

And since attacks are not tolerated in the CDZ, they are rendered silent.

You'd think the few honest lefties we have would want to address this point in particular.

I'd be curious to see if they could, at all, defend the study. Just asking.

If they can't...can they justify the likes of the entire left quoting this as a fact when it was, in truth, an extrapolation...and a pretty poor one at that.

The details might be wrong but they were never the reason that Obamacare needed to be passed in the first place. The entire piece of legislation was sold on the usual democrat reason: it corrected some vaunted injustice for one segment of people or another that could only be solved through governmental control.

It is what’s best for us all. In these cases, outcome is irrelevant.

The details might be wrong but they were never the reason that Obamacare needed to be passed in the first place. The entire piece of legislation was sold on the usual democrat reason: it corrected some vaunted injustice for one segment of people or another that could only be solved through governmental control.

It is what’s best for us all. In these cases, outcome is irrelevant.

While I would agree, the point I am trying to make is that we've seen so much partisan bullshyt from the left in support of a really crappy bill that I am not letting go. I want these people to own up to the lies.

I am planning on pushing a thread on the stimulus next. As near as I can tell, we are still in a weak economy and the left still blames Bush.....5 years after.

They have no collective manhood.

A bump for this one.

Still awaiting for someone on the left to jump in here and defend the use of bullshyt to sell a bigger pile of bullyshyt.

I'm not sure the point here.

Is there a magic number of deaths above which ACA is a good idea and below which, it is not?

This thread was an attempt to get the left to respond to the idea that they utilized, as part of a huge propaganda campaign, a bogus bullshyt study.

It will be interesting to see how many people die because of the ACA.

I'm not sure the point here.

Is there a magic number of deaths above which ACA is a good idea and below which, it is not?

How about any rational number to start with.

The idea that access was the problem is idiotic on its face. Everyone has access. That was one of the actual core problems, we give that access through the emergency room. How has the ACA addressed that problem? It hasn’t. It is actually FAR more likely that the ACA exacerbates that issue considering the testing grounds for this monstrosity (Romneycare) showed INCREASES in ER visits.

The ACA did not solve what it proposed to solve in the beginning (increasing costs) and certainly is not going to magically solve people dying because they didn’t go to their doctor.

I've contacted some folks to further discuss this study.

I have not been able to find the study on line. I tried several times, but was not successful. Of course, I don't claim to be the greatest Internet Sleuth.

But the study itself was quoted again and again and again and again. What is stated now is a "fact" that these people are dying every year.

When I push the left to produce a list of names (Should be pushing three-quarter of a million people), they can't produce. Even if they could do a couple of names, that would be a statistical nothing. They should have hundreds of thousands.

The fact that they can't produce them does not mean it isn't an issue.

But that isn't what is being contested here.

It is that Harvard, in what almost seems like an irresponsible report, somehow draws this conclusion. It is hard to know just what was done except to read what others have said.

And the conclusions of the staudy...as stated....are now a bedrock for people like Barbara B.S. Boxer who can't say it enough.

There are other statistics.

I recall seeing Al Franken (Stuart S.) quoting the WHO ranking of the U.S. (37th) on David Letterman like our health care was really just one clean band-aid above Cuba.

The list goes on and on.

And all of these statistics are utilized to argue against some problem (which has never really been defined for me).

So, anything good in the way of information would be appreciated.

L

Forum List

Back