Let's Raise Retirement age to 70

The purpose of raising the age is to make sure that safety cushion can continue to exist for people in their declining years. Doesn't mean they hafta retire, but particularly in physical jobs like the ones I have to offer, your earning power declines in these years. I know you feel everyone should have their own savings, but sometimes they don't, whether it's due to illness, injury, plain old irresponsibility or any other reason. When a person reaches 70 and has nothing, his family has nothing, and he can't work, what do you propose we do with this person?

That is certainly one side of it Cuyo. I see many other nations who have large slums where people live as best they can. If this country continues to insist on all these social programs and spending beyond our ability to pay it, that is where we will end up.

You sort of forgot what happens to the person who could have retired at 68 who now has to work until 70 because of the change. What about their health and ability to work? Personally, I think we should raise SS to 100. It would effectively end this farce.

Good points, all, Cuyo. And for many, the rent, utilities, ect. more than eat up their SS check.

Many older people can work at jobs that are not that physical. And are good in those jobs, as dependable as their health will let them be. Problem now is that with a very sick economy, these are also the entrance level jobs for many out of high school. So we have the young competeing with the old for low level jobs. A bad situation for all.

Thank God he has sent us a Messiah to fix these problems....Our President will not rest until.....
the economy is fixed because he is focused like a laser.He's also focused like a laser on.....
Taking over and controlling all aspects of the Private Sector.Making sure this country will be in debt for as long as it exists,after all who knows better then a liberal how to keep money out of the hands of the citizens then a liberal.Making sure the government controls as much as possible our freedom by making sure we never have the ability to use our money to have a better life.The government should determine how much we are allowed to spend and to do that they will make sure it's citizens are forever kept in debt.:eek:

Good points, all, Cuyo. And for many, the rent, utilities, ect. more than eat up their SS check.

Many older people can work at jobs that are not that physical. And are good in those jobs, as dependable as their health will let them be. Problem now is that with a very sick economy, these are also the entrance level jobs for many out of high school. So we have the young competeing with the old for low level jobs. A bad situation for all.

Thank God he has sent us a Messiah to fix these problems....Our President will not rest until.....
the economy is fixed because he is focused like a laser.He's also focused like a laser on.....
Taking over and controlling all aspects of the Private Sector.Making sure this country will be in debt for as long as it exists,after all who knows better then a liberal how to keep money out of the hands of the citizens then a liberal.Making sure the government controls as much as possible our freedom by making sure we never have the ability to use our money to have a better life.The government should determine how much we are allowed to spend and to do that they will make sure it's citizens are forever kept in debt.:eek:

Get off my lawn!

Get off my lawn!

The Pendelum is swinging right pretty quick isn't it. hahahahhaa told all ya last year
the left is done for now.
lets see if the right will make asses of them selfs like they did the last time they had control.
Believe me Obama the puppet can be out foxed buy the right just like the left out foxed him he is a fool who can read and talk. But can't think for him self.

Now what?

So the Politicians have squandered all the money and given so much of it away, people will have to live till 70 to get SS Retirement Checks?

These jerks need to also wait till they are 70 to collect any benefits and see how the like it.

We need an Opt Out available for this SS Crap, I think most people could better invest their money the the Government.

In a rare departure from this year's intense political posturing over the soaring budget deficit, House leaders of both parties recently signaled that they are prepared to tackle a leading long-term liability — Social Security — by raising the retirement age.

Both parties mull raising retirement age - Washington Times

I think this is a great idea.

Let's include military retirees in this as well.

Bullshit!

Who the hell wants a bunch of cranky 70 year olds around the office?

Move 'em out and make way for new blood.

I've come to the conclusion that if career politicians, bureaucrats and public employee unions were not paid above market wages, could be fired for subpar performance, and were subjected to the same 401K and SS programs for retirement as are private sector workers, we'd all be able to afford to save more and retire earlier.

I'm talking about the entire population. The last numbers I saw had the typical SS recipient receiving 2x-5x the amount they should receive given their contributions and the compounded interest inferred in the payments.

So why on earth did asshole Obama give them even more money?
In February, President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. This act provides for the one-time payment of $250 to nearly 53 million individuals who get Social Security and SSI benefits.

Social security was passed with a 4 year gap in it.
The average life span of a male was 58 when it was passed by Congress.
Social security was NEVER meant to be a retirement system. It was meant to be insurance in case you lived past your life expectancy.
Accordingly, under the initial rules and guidelines it was set up to be the age needs to be raised immediately to at least 74.
"I want mine, I am a conservative because I hate fags but I want my social security no matter what, I want my raises and I want free health care for life" says your average so called "conservative" senior citizen.
What a joke they are.

Retirement is overrated. Some folks shouldn't be reproductive, but everyone should strive to be productive.

Social security was passed with a 4 year gap in it.
The average life span of a male was 58 when it was passed by Congress.
Social security was NEVER meant to be a retirement system. It was meant to be insurance in case you lived past your life expectancy.
Accordingly, under the initial rules and guidelines it was set up to be the age needs to be raised immediately to at least 74.
"I want mine, I am a conservative because I hate fags but I want my social security no matter what, I want my raises and I want free health care for life" says your average so called "conservative" senior citizen.
What a joke they are.

Damned expensive insurance if you ask me.

Immie

Lets face it. This was nothing more than another tax to line the pockets of political cronies. There was never any intention of letting this money pile up in a lock box for the boomer's. Now that they need this to retire it is tough shit there is nothing left for you plus we have to raise taxes to replace the lost SS payments government has been used to blowing from the boomer's while they were working & paying in.

Forum List

Back