Let's Pass A Balanced Budget Amendment Now...

Of course, we should have everybody sacrifice!
What I'm referring to is the welfare for the wealthy and the elimination of tax write-offs that only the wealthy get to use, plus other programs they take advantage of..

End welfare for the wealthy- by Sen. Tom Coburn R-OK
<snip>
"Every year, politicians on both sides engage in a process of reverse Robin Hood in which they steal $30 billion from low- and middle-income Americans and provide handouts to the rich and famous
Millionaires receive tax earmarks and deductions crafted by both parties that allow them to write off billions each year. These write-offs include mortgage interest deductions on second homes and luxury yachts, gambling losses, business expenses, electric vehicle credits and even child care tax credits.
Meanwhile, direct handouts for millionaires have included $74 million in unemployment checks, $316 million in farm subsidies, $89 million for preservation of ranches and estates, $9 billion in retirement checks and $7.5 million to compensate for damages caused by emergencies to property that should have been insured. Millionaires have even borrowed $16 million in government-backed education loans to attend college since 2007."
End welfare for the wealthy - CNN.com

To see how much Welfare for the Wealthy is costing taxpayers:
http://coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=bb1c90bc-660c-477e-91e6-91c970fbee1f

I don't give a shit... the PEOPLE want them... Just because you don't doesn't mean squat. If you want to debate that... then the general welfare line in the Constitution covers it... or at least brings up an argument for them.

This is not a people "want" government... and it is exactly why we have a constitution to protect against tyranny of the masses

The general welfare OF THE UNITED STATES (AKA the Union) does not cover it and has been continually bastardized by big government types on both sides of the political spectrum for too long

You can want in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first

Really? I suppose that if it's been "bastardized" and "not covered" then the SCOTUS would have put a stop to it.

Really?? You think the SC is beyond or above a power grab too???

The problem is that people and officials have taken tiny steps above and beyond the constitution... none of them ever probably seemed that big, until you look back 100 years later and realize how far away you have really gotten... Fact is, we are WAYYYYY outside of the constitutional mandate in terms of what the government is doing

Of course, we should have everybody sacrifice!
What I'm referring to is the welfare for the wealthy and the elimination of tax write-offs that only the wealthy get to use, plus other programs they take advantage of..

End welfare for the wealthy- by Sen. Tom Coburn R-OK
<snip>
"Every year, politicians on both sides engage in a process of reverse Robin Hood in which they steal $30 billion from low- and middle-income Americans and provide handouts to the rich and famous
Millionaires receive tax earmarks and deductions crafted by both parties that allow them to write off billions each year. These write-offs include mortgage interest deductions on second homes and luxury yachts, gambling losses, business expenses, electric vehicle credits and even child care tax credits.
Meanwhile, direct handouts for millionaires have included $74 million in unemployment checks, $316 million in farm subsidies, $89 million for preservation of ranches and estates, $9 billion in retirement checks and $7.5 million to compensate for damages caused by emergencies to property that should have been insured. Millionaires have even borrowed $16 million in government-backed education loans to attend college since 2007."
End welfare for the wealthy - CNN.com

To see how much Welfare for the Wealthy is costing taxpayers:
http://coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=bb1c90bc-660c-477e-91e6-91c970fbee1f

You see me arguing ending all entitlements and welfare from the federal government??

Nope... but you will have progressives screaming like banshees when you even think about taking away handouts, ending zero income tax sums, etc....

This is not a people "want" government... and it is exactly why we have a constitution to protect against tyranny of the masses

The general welfare OF THE UNITED STATES (AKA the Union) does not cover it and has been continually bastardized by big government types on both sides of the political spectrum for too long

You can want in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first

Really? I suppose that if it's been "bastardized" and "not covered" then the SCOTUS would have put a stop to it.

The problem is that people and officials have taken tiny steps above and beyond the constitution... none of them ever probably seemed that big, until you look back 100 years later and realize how far away you have really gotten... Fact is, we are WAYYYYY outside of the constitutional mandate in terms of what the government is doing

yep... everyone's on the take... except for businesses who want slave labor and no safety nets so that people can bow down before them as the benevolent masters they are.

Why does "critical thinking" only look at government as a potential for tyranny?

There are many unintended consequences to this, not the least of which is to tie our hands in an emergency situation. Not only would we have to balance the budget, we would have to keep huge surpluses on hand in case of hurricanes, earthquakes and other unforeseen disasters.
There's nothing wrong with having a fund set up for for these things, which do not really cost all that much

The amendment can be written so that deficits can be run during a decalred war.

If people want a balanced budget amendment so bad one of two things will have to happen: We will either have to raise revenue to sufficiently high levels to pay off the debt in a reasonable amount of time or default on it.
Neither of these things are in any way a necessary result of a baklanced budget.

yep... everyone's on the take... except for businesses who want slave labor and no safety nets so that people can bow down before them as the benevolent masters they are.

Why does "critical thinking" only look at government as a potential for tyranny?

Any proof or statements of business wanting slave labor?? Hurt employees??

Please show where business has a power over your freedoms, your personal life, laws which are there to protect you, or anything of the sort.... But government CERTAINLY has the power and uses that power to take those freedoms away in the name of 'fairness'

Please show where business has a power over your freedoms, your personal life, laws which are there to protect you, or anything of the sort.... But government CERTAINLY has the power and uses that power to take those freedoms away in the name of 'fairness'

yeah.... none of that outsourcing, Union busting, etc.... had anything to do with wanting slave labor and it didn't hurt employees.... none of that happened.

Business affects everyone when they are in the pockets of politicians who pander to them. But I suppose it's all the politicians' fault...even though that's the way our electoral system is set up.

I have to give props to Orrin Hatch on this one. I criticize him a lot but he's showing some real wisdom & bravery on this issue. Now he just needs more to join him.

yeah.... none of that outsourcing, Union busting, etc.... had anything to do with wanting slave labor and it didn't hurt employees.... none of that happened.

Business affects everyone when they are in the pockets of politicians who pander to them. But I suppose it's all the politicians' fault...even though that's the way our electoral system is set up.

Sorry charlie.... corporations don't owe you a job... and if they get their labor from Utah or New York or Bald Knob Arkansas or Tibet, that is on them as to their decision where it is most beneficial... now if you wish to tax or tariff or whatever else, an American based company for foreign labor is another story.... but they still don't owe you a job nor should they feel 'bad' about the 'unfair' outsourcing...

Union busting... about time.... Unions, the one thing in this country that may actually be more corrupt than our government.... and they walk hand in hand

The politician does not have to open his pockets or even their ears... nobody is forcing them to take lobby money or gifts or you-scratch-my-back deals..

And again.. there is no slave labor, nor do companies want it... even though it makes you feel more powerful in an argument to claim it

yeah... the quality of life for the working and middle class has nothing to do with any of the issues I've mentioned.... blind man, you are.

Fuck the country... you guys are right... we'll just let America sink to the bottom... as long as the wealthy keep getting theirs...nothing else matters.

how well can a family get ahead if they never go into debt for anything?

How well can a family do when they have to borrow 40 cents of every dollar they spend?

And one can borrow money and still have a balanced budget. you just have to include the principal and interest payments into your expenses. The government doesn't do that.

Fuck the country... you guys are right... we'll just let America sink to the bottom... as long as the wealthy keep getting theirs...nothing else matters.
Proof positive that you cannot respond with anything of substance.
That's what happens when your mastery of the subject goes no further than bumper-sticker slogans.

That's what happens when your mastery of the subject goes no further than bumper-sticker slogans.

Well... truthfully... I don't consider the same old bullshit coming from your side very substantial either.

Well... truthfully... I don't consider the same old bullshit coming from your side very substantial either.

Yes,a Balanced Budget is "bullshit." Yup you sure are incredibly brilliant. Yikes! :cuckoo: Tell us why anyone should reply to you ever again in the future?

You say "let's" as if we the people really have some say over what goes on in DC.

You say "let's" as if we the people really have some say over what goes on in DC.

I hear ya but this article is written by Senator Orrin Hatch. Those aren't my words. But i do agree with Hatch on this.

Forum List

Back