Lets open another 'Can of worms about healthcare insurance' ...

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
Health insurance claims for leisure activitity accident's.

Perhaps not even extreme sports accidents - (ie: Skate boards, snow boards, ski accidents 'water and snow', trampoline injuries, bungee jumping, skydiving, private pilots, off roading vehicles, etc.) .....

... just everyday 'stupid' accidents that happen to adults and teenagers.

Is it covered?

Should it be covered?

Hell Yes! It should be covered. It is my health insurance, I pay for it, it should cover all 'accidents'!

Hell no! - it should NOT be covered.

What do you think?

Regular health care and medical attention in general should be a citizenship right. It is an essential component of a developed society that the first priority be the health of it's citizens, regardless of gender, race, or income. Especially for those that cannot afford it, for the very reason that medical expenses themselves can create a generally unhealthy underclass of persons, which is in itself a drag on a nations economy, be it in a welfare state or not.

BS. You want to see an unhealthy class of people, look at the people who live in places with government-controlled health care. The ones who have to wait months to get an MRI for a brain cyst and then another few months for the biopsy.

WAIT, don't you have the population of a mid-size country with 0 health care? Or do they not count, cuz they're poor?

That's what I really want to know. Does it bother anyone that 45 million people just can't afford any insurance? Is that a problem for anybody? Or is it more like "Fuck 'em, if the market doesn't let them have insurance, they don't deserve to be ensured! Let them drag themselves to the emergency room at the last moment and maybe we'll take some pity on 'em."

Interesting input ... but what does - what has been said have to do with - "Health insurance claims for leisure activitity accident's."

Just curious. :D

*Shrugs* See no difference. The results of someone getting their arm destroyed by bungee jumping or from operating heavy machinery are the same- possible loss of livelihood or financial ruin. Either person can join the underclass, and affect their offspring, and their offspring's offspring in a poverty trap. Either needs the health attention. Just because it was a leisure activity doesn't make any difference. Could've just as well had a brutal injury from tripping on the street.

*Shrugs* See no difference. The results of someone getting their arm destroyed by bungee jumping or from operating heavy machinery are the same- possible loss of livelihood or financial ruin. Either person can join the underclass, and affect their offspring, and their offspring's offspring in a poverty trap. Either needs the health attention. Just because it was a leisure activity doesn't make any difference. Could've just as well had a brutal injury from tripping on the street.

I think it does have a 'difference'.
They do have "Extreme Insurance" Extreme Sports Insurance - Patriot Extreme Benefits

What I am talking about is the 'stupid' accidents that kids and/or adults have like skateboard accidents, or getting shot with a pellet gun or BB-gun .... then getting those claims paid by 'normal' health insurance that is designed for illnesses, auto accidents, etc.

When insurance compaines pay for these types of claims ... it keeps 'normal' insurance costs higher, right? If they are going to do this kind of activity should they not have "extreme insurance" coverage to cover it?

I don't know - that is why I am asking. :eusa_angel:

Hmmmm... Well.... I dunno. Ahh, sorry, I thought we were still talking about the UHC issue, but this has nothing to do with it.

Terribly sorry, and disregard my posts up to now!

Errr, well, I guess you'd have to check to see if that's how it works. When you buy insurance, doesn't it tell you specifically what's covered?

(Note: Did I misspell difference? hgbjhbkjllh)

BS. You want to see an unhealthy class of people, look at the people who live in places with government-controlled health care. The ones who have to wait months to get an MRI for a brain cyst and then another few months for the biopsy.

Yea, those Swedish girls are really unhealthy!

swedish_girls_02.jpg

Health insurance claims for leisure activitity accident's?

Like pregnancy?

I think it's interesting that when a Republican Senator looks for sex in an airport bathroom, he keeps his America flag lapel pin on.

Now that's patriotism!

I think it does have a 'difference'.
They do have "Extreme Insurance" Extreme Sports Insurance - Patriot Extreme Benefits

What I am talking about is the 'stupid' accidents that kids and/or adults have like skateboard accidents, or getting shot with a pellet gun or BB-gun .... then getting those claims paid by 'normal' health insurance that is designed for illnesses, auto accidents, etc.

When insurance compaines pay for these types of claims ... it keeps 'normal' insurance costs higher, right? If they are going to do this kind of activity should they not have "extreme insurance" coverage to cover it?

I don't know - that is why I am asking. :eusa_angel:

I understand your sentiment, but I think it would be a very bad idea to give insurance companies the option to deny coverage for an injury because it is the result of a "stupid" accident.

Stupidity is a widespread cause of health problems. Any healthcare system that is even close to acceptable has to deal with it.

I understand your sentiment, but I think it would be a very bad idea to give insurance companies the option to deny coverage for an injury because it is the result of a "stupid" accident.

Stupidity is a widespread cause of health problems. Any healthcare system that is even close to acceptable has to deal with it.

Excellant point. I had not thought about it that way. Now that I do think about it, with your help, - (allowing insurance not to pay these kinds of claims) - gives them more (big brother) power.

Thanks!

Excellant point. I had not thought about it that way. Now that I do think about it, with your help, - (allowing insurance not to pay these kinds of claims) - gives them more (big brother) power.

Thanks!

Surely the point is that insurance-for-profit (unlike civilized state systems which treat everyone very quickly, at least to judge by the NHS) is that they will, if at all possible, not cover those who are likely to need treatment, because then they will have to pay out? And like garages that specialize in insurance claims, the doctors will put up their charges sky-high because they think, 'Oh, the insurance will pay for it!' The numbers wasting their money on this private nonsense is falling quite fast over here as waiting times are cut down. God forbid that these sharks should get at the details of our genomes, by the way: a lot of us will just be left to die if we depend on private medicine. It comes under the hypocritic oath!

Forum List

Back