Let’s Not Panic Over Romney’s Defeat

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
The American Spectator : Let

First of all, Romney ran a damned good race. He was up in the polls by as much as 7 points (Gallup) going into the last week. Where he got sandbagged was Hurricane Sandy. The storm captured the nation's attention and pushed the election off the front page. It gave President Obama a chance to act presidential (with vague memories of President George Bush Jr.'s initial inaction on Hurricane Katrina reverberating in the background) and to shake hands with Chris Christie. Now I don't fault Christie either and don't see any nefarious plot to maneuver for 2016. A governor has to act on behalf of his state. Parts of New Jersey were devastated, and if Christie had snubbed Obama, it would have put thousands of his constituents in immediate danger -- and been interpreted as his fault as well.

Hurricane Sandy Aggravated Romney

The picture emerges from a look back at the averages of polls conducted in the nine most hotly contested battleground state polls compiled by Realclearpolitics.com. Between Oct. 2 and Oct. 26, Mr. Romney gained ground in all nine of those states, though not enough to take a clear lead in any except North Carolina.

But then, between Oct. 26 and Oct. 30—the day the hurricane hit the East Coast—the Romney move up came to a halt. In that period, his support was flat in polling in four of the battleground states, he actually lost a point in his support in three of them, and gained a single point in two.

Last edited:

First of all, Romney ran a damned good race. He was up in the polls by as much as 7 points (Gallup) going into the last week. Where he got sandbagged was Hurricane Sandy. The storm captured the nation's attention and pushed the election off the front page. It gave President Obama a chance to act presidential (with vague memories of President George Bush Jr.'s initial inaction on Hurricane Katrina reverberating in the background) and to shake hands with Chris Christie. Now I don't fault Christie either and don't see any nefarious plot to maneuver for 2016. A governor has to act on behalf of his state. Parts of New Jersey were devastated, and if Christie had snubbed Obama, it would have put thousands of his constituents in immediate danger -- and been interpreted as his fault as well.

Romneys polling numbers jumped when he dumped the TeaTards and moved to the center

Lesson to be learned

Romney is a Globalist stooge. I'm happy he lost but we're stuck with the OTHER Globalist Stooge for another 4 years.

The women and minorities taught the GOP a lesson we must learn if we want to win in the future.

Nothing is to be learned from the libertarians, our far right extremists, and the social values right wing progressives in the Republican Party.

I have not and was not planning on panicking over this election.

So, now we're back to the storm as Romney's excuse? I thought it was voter fraud?

Nonsense.

Romney ran a lousy campaign and he was further hobbled by the idiocy of he social right, ‘legitimate rape’ will lose republicans elections every time.

But keep telling yourself everyone else is to blame.

My best guess is that the Democrats want the Republicans to keep on doing exactly what they're doing.

Actually they’d rather republicans return to sanity and become relevant partners again in pursuing responsible governance.

Liberals need conservatives to provide reasonable fiscal boundaries; conservatives need liberals to remind republicans of forbearance concerning the poor, elderly, and working Americans.

First of all, Romney ran the worst campaign in living memory for such a well funded candidate.

My best guess is that the Democrats want the Republicans to keep on doing exactly what they're doing.

Actually they’d rather republicans return to sanity and become relevant partners again in pursuing responsible governance.

Liberals need conservatives to provide reasonable fiscal boundaries; conservatives need liberals to remind republicans of forbearance concerning the poor, elderly, and working Americans.

Yeah, fair point, I stand corrected. While there will always be wackos in both parties who wish to see the other party completely vanish, what the country needs is a pair of properly-functioning parties that can work together as adults for the good of the country.

Here's hoping that happens sooner rather than later.

Nonsense.

Romney ran a lousy campaign and he was further hobbled by the idiocy of he social right, ‘legitimate rape’ will lose republicans elections every time.

But keep telling yourself everyone else is to blame.

This is correct, most democrats do not want us to become a one party country not even if the party is the democrats but damned if the republicans are not doing everything they can to destroy themselves.

Neither voter fraud nor Act of God, but rather women, minorities, gays, centrists, independents, some Republican liberals, Democrats, and far leftists beat the snot out of our GOP candidate, 332 to 206 electoral votes.

The whole point of the original OP is.... screw you pretenders. As if you gave a crap about Republicans and now you are going to offer all this help to show us the way. Again, screw you. If becoming a democrat is the only way to win another election then I am more then happy to never win another election. The democrats have led us onto the road to destruction and I'll be damned if I am going help.

Nothing really changed in this election, power didn't shift. There was no mandate. People just are idiots and vote for whomever is in office. All the crying about term limits but when push comes to shove the blacks and Hispanics are going to vote democrat as if they have their best interest at heart. NOTHING can be done to change that they have been fully indoctrinated.

If there is no other reason to not become a democrat it is their nasty attitude. Obama ran the nastiest campaign i can remember and the American hypocritical people reelected him, truly disappointing.

The whole point of the original OP is.... screw you pretenders. As if you gave a crap about Republicans and now you are going to offer all this help to show us the way. Again, screw you. If becoming a democrat is the only way to win another election then I am more then happy to never win another election. The democrats have led us onto the road to destruction and I'll be damned if I am going help.

Nothing really changed in this election, power didn't shift. There was no mandate. People just are idiots and vote for whomever is in office. All the crying about term limits but when push comes to shove the blacks and Hispanics are going to vote democrat as if they have their best interest at heart. NOTHING can be done to change that they have been fully indoctrinated.

If there is no other reason to not become a democrat it is their nasty attitude. Obama ran the nastiest campaign i can remember and the American hypocritical people reelected him, truly disappointing.

Would it be safe to assume, then, that you don't think the GOP needs to make any changes?

Forum List

Back