Let's look at some facts

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by PratchettFan, Jul 11, 2012.

1. PratchettFan

PratchettFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    I have heard repeatedly that the United States has the best health care in the world. I think it can be shown without any difficulty we have the most expensive health care - but "best" is a relative term.

In terms of expense, we have the highest cost of health care per capita - hands down. No one is even close to us. We are 50% higher than the runner up - Norway. But how do you determine overall quality? Difficult, but I would offer that one method would be life expectancy. I think it is a reasonable assumption that the healthier a population is, the longer you could expect them to live. So let us do a comparison of per capita cost vs life expectancy.

Japan: $2,729 per capita LE - 83.91 years
    Italy: $2,870 per capita LE - 81.86 years
    Spain: $2,902 per capita LE - 81.27 years
    U.K.: $3,129 per capita LE - 80.17 years
    Austrailia: $3,353 per capita LE - 81.9 years
    Sweden: $3,470 per capita LE - 81.18 years
    Belgium: $3,677 per capita LE - 79.65 years
    France: $3,696 per capita LE - 81.46 years
    Germany: $3,737 per capita LE - 80.19 years
    Austria: $3,970 per capita LE - 79.91 years
    Netherlands: $4,063 per capita LE - 80.91 years
    Canada: $4,079 per capita LE - 81.48 years
    Switzerland: $4,627 per capita LE - 81.17 years
    Norway: $5,003 per capital LE - 80.32 years
    United States: $7,538 per capita LE - 78.49 years

As you can see, while we are the most expensive system on the list, we are also at the very bottom of the list when it comes to life expectancy. I find it difficult to see that as being the "best". I suppose the bright side is that by dying a couple of years early you save yourself $15 K.

An interesting note. All of the above countries have universal health care, except the United States.

For those of you who wish to see for yourselves:

Snapshots: Health Care Spending in the United States & Selected OECD Countries - Kaiser Family Foundation

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

Now, let us take it as a given that by using actual information I am, by definition, a godless communist or whatever perjorative you wish to use in lieu of an argument. Does anyone have any actual facts to dispute this? I would love to see them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    America has the best TRAUMA Care in the world, no doubt. If you get in a traffic accident and have multiple injuries your chance of survival is probably better than anywhere else.

The problem is America follows the typical Western view of medicine which is:

1. Surgery (Cut)
    2. Radiation (Burn)
    3. Drug (Poison)

Americans pay almost NO attention to what they eat and even worse, the gov't pushes only what they heavily subsidize through various Farm Bills and that f*ckin' Food Pyramid. Americans see "FDA or USDA Approved" on the label and eat it thinking they are safe. They're not.

Nutrition is hardly ever used as a preventive or restorative health measure. Why? Because there's no money to be made in being healthy but there are HUGE profits in the Medical Industrial Complex.

3. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    Dude, all you ever hear is how America is NOT the best healthcare in the world. Life expectancy has to do with lifestyle not healthcare.

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    but we are the most expensive

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    We have the most profitable health care industry in the world.

6. PratchettFan

PratchettFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    Actually, all I ever hear is how it IS the best. You could argue that life expectancy is affected by lifestyle, but it will take some hard evidence to convince me healthcare has nothing to do with it. But I am more than willing to use some other method, if you care to offer one.

7. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    you are incorrect on the facts.

I bet you watch fox

8. PratchettFan

PratchettFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    You say "no doubt", but I rarely have no doubt. Do you have anything to support the claim we have the best trauma care in the world?

As to eating. The UK has a considerably better life expectancy than the US. Have you ever seen what they eat? Also, if we are going to use lifestyle we should probably consider smoking as a factor. Yet 30% of adult Japanese smoke while only 17% of adult Americans, despite a significantly higher life expectancy. France, Belgium, Germany, Norway, UK all have much higher levels of smoking with better life expectancies.

However, I am willing to try some other metric. I just can't think of one as apt.

9. PratchettFan

PratchettFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    I provided the source of the information. What percisely is it you are saying is wrong?

10. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    a 10 minute visit with the Doctor cost me and my insurance over $200. No test were run. Routine blood test for PSA, cholostral and something else was $1500. A root canal & crown $2,600. We are being had. That is why those that can aford are going off shore for health care it is cheaper and better.