Let's hit CBS in the wallet...

MissileMan

Sep 11, 2004
I am going to send e-mails to all of CBS's sponsors telling them the following:

Based on the recent escapades of Dan Rather, I refuse to purchase products made by a company that would continue to advertise on the CBS network. Therefore, I am boycotting your product/service until you stop spending your advertising dollars at a network that would allow Dan Rather to remain on the air.

Anyone care to join me?

It sounds like a great idea, MM. Only trouble is, I couldn't really do it in good conscience. I don't watch any of their bullshit anyway. They lost me a long time ago.

MissileMan said:
I am going to send e-mails to all of CBS's sponsors telling them the following:

Based on the recent escapades of Dan Rather, I refuse to purchase products made by a company that would continue to advertise on the CBS network. Therefore, I am boycotting your product/service until you stop spending your advertising dollars at a network that would allow Dan Rather to remain on the air.

Anyone care to join me?

I wrote 2 days ago and to the Chicago affiliate too. You can find the salutations and email addresses for advertisers and affiliates at:

http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/000905.php

musicman said:
It sounds like a great idea, MM. Only trouble is, I couldn't really do it in good conscience. I don't watch any of their bullshit anyway. They lost me a long time ago.

Same here... I haven't tuned in to CBS for ages. I guess I've already been unwittingly boycotting them for years. :smoke:

Pale Rider said:
Same here... I haven't tuned in to CBS for ages. I guess I've already been unwittingly boycotting them for years. :smoke:

Won't disagree with the truth of what your saying, but CBS doesn't know that...

Actually, Kathianne, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined I am to agree with you and Missle Man. Just because I don't watch the stuff doesn't mean that the network's choices don't affect me. In like manner, advertisers are, wittingly or not, condoning CBS's behavior by doing business with them. Maybe we CAN make a difference!

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerryspot.asp

Want to really hurt CBS? Follow this link about four pages down to this:

HOW THE BLOGS CAN BEAT RATHER [09/17 01:37 PM]

I am just a mere reporter here at the Kerry Spot. I have no great influence, no experience in asymmetrical warfare. I am not the type of person who gives advice on how a loosely organized group of angry CBS critics can successfully topple the Sauronic Big Eye of a major network and force accountability.

But if I were that kind of person, I would suggest something like this.

SHORT VERSION
CBS News President Andrew Heyward and Dan Rather have made something of a "career suicide pact." Each one has much more to lose by admitting the memos are fake than from weathering the storm. They will ignore any criticism from here on out.

Critics of the report must focus on three alternative targets that are more vulnerable to public pressure: the local CBS affiliates, other CBS employees, and other media. Members of those groups right now are in a state similar to Rather and Heyward's — mildly criticizing Rather and Heyward, looking the other way, or shrugging their shoulders. That course of action is less painful than forcing CBS to make the hard choice about Rather and the fake memos. But a steady and intense campaign of criticism — one targeting them for not taking steps to demand a CBS admission that the network deliberately portrayed fake memos — could alter that balance. Inaction could become more painful than action.

Once the affiliates are demanding that Rather go, and the other employees at CBS are demanding that Rather go, and other media (like the editors of the Washington Post) are demanding that Rather go, Les Moonves, president of CBS, will conclude that the cost of keeping Rather outweighs the benefits of keeping him — and the ax will fall, probably for Heyward, Rather, and CBS producer Mary Mapes as well. The other CBS employees will retract the story and confirm the source.

musicman said:
Actually, Kathianne, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined I am to agree with you and Missle Man. Just because I don't watch the stuff doesn't mean that the network's choices don't affect me. In like manner, advertisers are, wittingly or not, condoning CBS's behavior by doing business with them. Maybe we CAN make a difference!

The politicians will be influenced by the actions of the affiliates and advertisers.

Forum List

Back