Lets get Behind Romney

Romney can't win the GOP nomination without the support of The Tea Party - and most of them consider him to be nothing better than a "Democrat in sheeps clothing!"

I agree that Romney is the one and only Republican candidate capable of appealing to America's political center and beating Obama, BUT when "push-comes-to-shove," the present conservative crowd is more interested in remaining ideologically "pure" than winning.

The tea party is all about beating Obama, even if it means getting behind Romney.

I disagree. I will not vote for a liberal of either party.

I consider myself tea party too...Under normal circumstance, I would never consider voting for someone like Romney, but if not voting for Romney, means Obama coming back, than thats kind of like cutting your nose to spite your face.

run Romeny and get a third party ,tea party candidate to split the vote.

I love the idea

The tea party is all about beating Obama, even if it means getting behind Romney.

I disagree. I will not vote for a liberal of either party.

I consider myself tea party too...Under normal circumstance, I would never consider voting for someone like Romney, but if not voting for Romney, means Obama coming back, than thats kind of like cutting your nose to spite your face.

I didnt vote for McCain, I wont for Romney.

I agree with anybody but obama. But I dont want Obama light either!

Speak for them all, do you? So did Adolf. Wonderful company you keep.

that is something one of you would say.

What else are we to believe? You apparently adore the man. You're taking a page out of his playbook by labeling opponents as Marxists. The BIG LIE hasn't died, it's been taken up as right wing strategy.

If those wanting fiscal responsibility can be labeled terrorists. Then calling the left marxist is more then fair.

Speak for them all, do you? So did Adolf. Wonderful company you keep.

that is something one of you would say.

What else are we to believe? You apparently adore the man. You're taking a page out of his playbook by labeling opponents as Marxists. The BIG LIE hasn't died, it's been taken up as right wing strategy.

I'm labeling Obama a Marxist. You called me and the entire field of GOP candidates nazis.

lol...the country isn't "over" if President Obama is re-elected.
:lol:

It will actually improve.

Why on earth would you expect it to improve when it's gotten worse?
Why on earth do you think a Republican would make it any better?
And so it begins. The Romney-fication of the Right. :lol::lol::lol:
lol....yah. :lol:

Obama deserve prison for gun walker. This makes anything Nixion did look like a joke.

if you think that, i'd suggest you have no knowledge about what watergate was. and whatever fast and furious is, it's far less onerous than iran/contra
The extremism on the right is staggering! The insanity is thick in the GOP. They don't even realize how far right and extreme they are. They all need to be in Bellevue for their and the rest of our safety really.

lol...the country isn't "over" if President Obama is re-elected.
:lol:

It will actually improve.

Why on earth would you expect it to improve when it's gotten worse?
Why on earth do you think a Republican would make it any better?
lol....yah. :lol:

Obama deserve prison for gun walker. This makes anything Nixion did look like a joke.

if you think that, i'd suggest you have no knowledge about what watergate was. and whatever fast and furious is, it's far less onerous than iran/contra
The extremism on the right is staggering! The insanity is thick in the GOP. They don't even realize how far right and extreme they are. They all need to be in Bellevue for their and the rest of our safety really.

Sure sure. The extremism of the idiot left, however, is totally unnoticed by partisan hacks like Malcolm Ex-Lax here. The stupidity and insanity of the left is almost as thick as Malcolm Ex-Lax.

Newflash, you dipshits: President Obama is not only NOT the Messiah, the schmuck isn't even good at his job. (I say this even though I do allow forthe fact that he has done a couple of good things in Office on the war front. But otherwise, he "just can't suck enough.")

Romney support is based on two basically flawed premises-

1) Even though conservatives hate him, he's the only one who appeals to "moderates" or "independents".

2) Even though conservatives hate him, they hate Obama more, so they will suck up and eat fecal matter.

Both of these premises can be debunked in the last two elections.

First, thinking hate can propel a not great candidate into the White House. Ask President Kerry how that one worked out. Oh, wait, there wasn't a President Kerry, was there? That's right. Because even though the left hated Bush, they just didn't have any enthusiasm for Hanoi John and couldn't get anyone else to like him enough either.

The second is a corrolary to the first. Enthusiasm wins elections, not "electability". McCain was the most "electable", but no one I know was terribly thrilled with him. (And for the record, Romney isn't fit to carry McCain's Medal Case.) Obama's supporters will be thrilled with their guy. They will get out and get their friends to get out. Romney's supporters? Meh, not so much.

Lest we forget, too, that the job come Election Day 2012 is NOT just to defeat President Obama in his bid for re-election, and to get a qualified conservative / Republican candidate into that Office.

The job on Election Day is also to toss out the liberal Democratics in Congress who would seek to undermine the efficacy of a conservative President in the URGENTLY IMPORTANT JOB of deconstructing all the crap like Obamacare which President Obama and former Speaker Pelousy and Hapless Dingy Harry Reid foisted on us all.

This election is less Occam's razor and more Stantz' choice.

Not familiar with Stantz' choice?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Whoa! Ho! Ho! Whoa-oa!
Gozer: The Traveller has come!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Nobody choosed anything!
[turns to Egon]
Dr. Peter Venkman: Did you choose anything?
Dr. Egon Spengler: No.
Dr. Peter Venkman: [to Winston] Did YOU?
Winston Zeddemore: My mind is totally blank.
Dr. Peter Venkman: *I* didn't choose anything...
[long pause, Peter, Egon and Winston all look at Ray]
Dr Ray Stantz: I couldn't help it. It just popped in there.
Dr. Peter Venkman: [angrily] What? *What* "just popped in there?"
Dr Ray Stantz: I... I... I tried to think...
Dr. Egon Spengler: LOOK!
[they all look over one side of the roof]
Dr Ray Stantz: No! It CAN'T be!
Dr. Peter Venkman: What is it?
Dr Ray Stantz: It CAN'T be!
Dr. Peter Venkman: What did you DO, Ray?
Winston Zeddemore: Oh, shit!
[they all see a giant cubic white head topped with a sailor hat, Peter looks at Ray]
Dr Ray Stantz: [somberly] It's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

There's a major difference between Mormonism and Catholicism. At the time JFK was (barely) elected in 1960, Catholics were the biggest denomination in the US. So for every extreme Protestant who wouldn't vote for a "Papist", there was a Catholic willing to step up to the plate and vote for him. The distribution of electoral votes benefitted JFK as well.

There are only about 6 million Mormons in this country, and most of them are concentrated in Utah and Nevada. There are about 100 million Baptists and Evangelicals, most of whom consider Mormons as heretics. They could nudge states like Florida, Virginia, Missouri, the Carolinas into Obama's camp.

You're right, the demographics are certainly different. My point is that our society, for decades, has slowly been learning to become less prejudicial. There are certainly many hurdles that still remain and we still have alot to learn. But if we we've progressed enough to elect a black man, I'm inclined to think that we've also progressed enough that Mitt Romney's being a Mormon will not be all that big of a deal either.

There's a major difference between Mormonism and Catholicism. At the time JFK was (barely) elected in 1960, Catholics were the biggest denomination in the US. So for every extreme Protestant who wouldn't vote for a "Papist", there was a Catholic willing to step up to the plate and vote for him. The distribution of electoral votes benefitted JFK as well.

There are only about 6 million Mormons in this country, and most of them are concentrated in Utah and Nevada. There are about 100 million Baptists and Evangelicals, most of whom consider Mormons as heretics. They could nudge states like Florida, Virginia, Missouri, the Carolinas into Obama's camp.

You're right, the demographics are certainly different. My point is that our society, for decades, has slowly been learning to become less prejudicial. There are certainly many hurdles that still remain and we still have alot to learn. But if we we've progressed enough to elect a black man, I'm inclined to think that we've also progressed enough that Mitt Romney's being a Mormon will not be all that big of a deal either.

Well, it's a deal killer for me personally.

And I don't think it's a matter of prejudice. It's a matter of judgement. Comparing religion to race is a fallacy. No one can choose his race.

(When being a trekkie was popular, I wrote "Klingon" under race on the 1990 Census. Because I thought it was funny.)

He might have been born in that religion, but he made a conscious effort to stay in it, ignoring the silly beliefs and shady history. On the basis of that, I would have to judge his reasoning, just as much as if he believed in Evil Space Lord Xenu had left Body-Thetans sucking on everyone.

I was born a Catholic. I am not a Catholic today because I found the beliefs to be silly and history to be such that they had no business preaching to me about morality.

More to the point, Most "Catholics" don't believe the Pope is infalliable, eating meat on a Friday during Lent is really a sin, or that using birth control will send you to hell.

Most Mormons really do believe the silly crap their church believes in. In fact, I suspect Mormonism is the only sincerely held belief Mitt has he doesn't check with a focus group.

Forum List

Back