Let's Face It: With Europe, There Is No Turning Back

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I would like to refute one of Sen. Kerry's main foreign policy promises: that he will restore America's relations with Europe and rebuild old alliances.
I am not one of those who believe Kerry will destroy America or render her open to terrorist attack... i believe he will be forced by circumstances and reality to keep a considerable amount of the Bush foreign policy platform as his own. Just as Pres. Bush will have to moderate and adjust his foreign policy to a considerable bit of what Kerry is talking about and advocating, by circumstance and reality.
HOWEVER....

Our relationship with Europe, in the vein it used to be, is over forever. What is most disturbing is that increasingly, the MODERATE viewpoint (usually exhibited by such Senators as Chuck Hagel, John McCain, John Warner, Richard Lugar, Joe Biden, Joe Lieberman, UN pukes like Dennis Holbrooke and Dennis Ross, and Sec. State Colin Powell) of America is at odds with the EU's. Take three examples: Darfur, Iran and China.

In all three cases, the EU sees the reality and the facts on the ground, and yet chooses to deny that very reality and those very facts. They don't see evidence of genocide in Darfur (even though its fairly plain for every aid group, humanitarian NGO and the US Congress to see, a word that was only previously used by this sheer majority of groups and individuals in a place called rwanda (but only after the fact). They want to "talk" and "discuss" with Iran in "good faith" even though Iran has continued on every platform to lie, cheat, hide and evade the facts about their ACCELERATING nuclear program. It seems to most in America's diplomatic community that even if Iran declares itself a nuclear state and threatens its neighbors, the EU will still oppose taking preemptive or even defensive military action without an Iranian warhead exploding in Rome or Paris. On China, America's rhetoric and the facts are less than convincing, but at least American officials have openly supported the freedom forces of China (journalists, veteran officials, political opponents) who are putting their careers and lives on the line to try to stop Communist oppression. Aside from the Brits, nary a word has been heard from the EU in actual support of the freedom parties in China.

Should we also mention the EU's miniscule donation to humanitarian aid in Darfur, their condoning of European nations like France holding training exercises with the Chinese military, their attempts to profit from oil revenues in Iran and Iraq despite oppressive regimes and a further long litany of foreign policy views and activities that differ far from America's goals?

Ladies and gentlemen, we've got serious problems with the Euros. This means we start restoring our credibility with the rest of the world and strengthing (and repairing)alliances with nations like Britain, Russia, Poland, India, Japan, Singapore, South Africa, Nigeria and Brazil, or we can just give up the leadership role because its only going to get further undermined and made difficult by the EU's foreign policy.

In doing so, we avoid the unnecessary and DANGEROUS compromising with the Germans and French and their friends. Let us bargain from a position of strength, not weakness. Weakness begins when you let "friends" undercut you at every turn, while smiling in your face the entire time (like Saudi Arabia, France, Germany and to a lesser extent, Pakistan).

NATO AIR said:
I would like to refute one of Sen. Kerry's main foreign
policy promises: that he will restore America's relations with Europe and rebuild old alliances.
I am not one of those who believe Kerry will destroy America or render her open to terrorist attack... i believe he will be forced by circumstances and reality to keep a considerable amount of the Bush foreign policy platform as his own. Just as Pres. Bush will have to moderate and adjust his foreign policy to a considerable bit of what Kerry is talking about and advocating, by circumstance and reality.
HOWEVER....

I heard Kerry will reverse the decision to withdraw and redeploy our forces from Germany, which serves no other purpose than to pump US dollars into their economy while they offer nothing in return. That's the theme of Kerry we can expect, a kowtowing to France and Germany while expecting nothing in return unless we further offer conciliation beyond the status quo.

Our relationship with Europe, in the vein it used to be, is over forever. What is most disturbing is that increasingly, the MODERATE viewpoint (usually exhibited by such Senators as Chuck Hagel, John McCain, John Warner, Richard Lugar, Joe Biden, Joe Lieberman, UN pukes like Dennis Holbrooke and Dennis Ross, and Sec. State Colin Powell) of America is at odds with the EU's. Take three examples: Darfur, Iran and China.

Just France, Germany, and a few other minor powers. The best part is the rest are shifting to us and leaving these major two players as useless in effective diplomacy as they are in being able to project force or dominate the economy. In the final alignment our real power will merit what it's worth.

In all three cases, the EU sees the reality and the facts on the ground, and yet chooses to deny that very reality and those very facts. They don't see evidence of genocide in Darfur (even though its fairly plain for every aid group, humanitarian NGO and the US Congress to see, a word that was only previously used by this sheer majority of groups and individuals in a place called rwanda (but only after the fact).

Assuming they are not abject idiots, I'd like to propose the theory that they and their leaders simply don't care. Money talks and the dead don't.

[/Quote]
They want to "talk" and "discuss" with Iran in "good faith" even though Iran has continued on every platform to lie, cheat, hide and evade the facts about their ACCELERATING nuclear program. It seems to most in America's diplomatic community that even if Iran declares itself a nuclear state and threatens its neighbors, the EU will still oppose taking preemptive or even defensive military action without an Iranian warhead exploding in Rome or Paris.
Aside from the UK, the EU actually favours Iran and the various Islamic regimes over Israel... or dare I say loath Israel, to a point where their funds to Arafat are proven to be abused for terror and corruption, but yet they simply don't care. So why not curry favour with oil rich as much more lucrative arab states while they simply don't care to seriously protect Jews in their own states now Muslim dominated as a minority class.

It's not like Iran is going to attack them before they attack Israel and then the U.S. first. Makes perfect sense even though they are craven cowards for doing so.

On China, America's rhetoric and the facts are less than convincing, but at least American officials have openly supported the freedom forces of China (journalists, veteran officials, political opponents) who are putting their careers and lives on the line to try to stop Communist oppression. Aside from the Brits, nary a word has been heard from the EU in actual support of the freedom parties in China.

Only because the UN hasn't ruled against China more than a few times. That's a problem for the U.S. to deal with, and meanwhile some 100+ (non security council approved) resolutions on Israel remain in violation.

In other words, they could care less for human rights overall, they are hippocrits.

Should we also mention the EU's miniscule donation to humanitarian aid in Darfur, their condoning of European nations like France holding training exercises with the Chinese military, their attempts to profit from oil revenues in Iran and Iraq despite oppressive regimes and a further long litany of foreign policy views and activities that differ far from America's goals?

Sure, but it's not news for me. I'll back you up, though.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've got serious problems with the Euros. This means we start restoring our credibility with the rest of the world and strengthing (and repairing)alliances with nations like Britain, Russia, Poland, India, Japan, Singapore, South Africa, Nigeria and Brazil, or we can just give up the leadership role because its only going to get further undermined and made difficult by the EU's foreign policy.

In doing so, we avoid the unnecessary and DANGEROUS compromising with the Germans and French and their friends. Let us bargain from a position of strength, not weakness. Weakness begins when you let "friends" undercut you at every turn, while smiling in your face the entire time (like Saudi Arabia, France, Germany and to a lesser extent, Pakistan).

Voting Bush would do much to further this policy. ;)

i'm not sure about the REdeployment... but i'm out to sea with not a wide variety of news sources, so i'll respect your call on that and go with it.

i think you're right about the EU caring more about money than morality, but that's not the line they were giving about iraq "we'll only support invasion if its a humanitarian emergency"... well that's funny because darfur is but the EU is closing its eyes and basically calling the survivors, aid workers and US congress a bunch of liars....

i will be perfectly honest though, i seriously am scared of next year, because sometime in the late winter/early spring iran will go online with its nukes, and who knows what israel will do and what will happen, how many lives will be lost.

of course, America's 911 aircraft carrier the USS Kitty Hawk will be ready for deployment and will be sent, and i'll be onboard steaming in the Gulf waiting for the shooting war with Iran.

of course, we're also over here watching china line up assets for its coming invasion of taiwan which i am sure will happen sometime in the next 36 months or so.

what a wonderful world pres. bush or sen. kerry will be presiding over in a few months.

Forum List

Back