Let's encourage self-sufficiency by reforming our safety net, my friends

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
When welfare reform first inserted work requirements into our welfare system in 1996, some on the Left predicted doom for America’s most vulnerable families. Patrick Moynihan predicted that we would “find children sleeping on grates, picked up in the morning frozen.” New Jersey Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg said that we would see “children begging for money, children begging for food, 8- and 9-year-old prostitutes.” And Ted Kennedy called the bill “legislative child abuse.”

Fortunately, none of those hysterical prognostications came true.

The number of SNAP recipients used to rise during recessions and then quickly fall as the economy recovered. But due to eligibility loopholes instituted under President Barack Obama, that didn’t happen after the most recent recession. A full ten years after the recession ended in 2009, the share of the U.S. population receiving SNAP is 40% higher now than when the recession began in 2007.

There are an estimated 1.3 million jobs currently open in our thriving economy. We, as a nation, can and should do better in moving more Americans to self-sufficiency.

Work requirements have a proven record of success in moving people from welfare to self-sufficiency. In 2015, Maine began enforcing work requirements for food stamps despite partial waiver eligibility. It saw an 80% drop in its work-capable caseload in just three months. Thirteen counties in Alabama saw similar results when they implemented work requirements for food stamps in 2017.

Additionally, the Joint Economic Committee’s Social Capital Project has found that work is a critical source of social capital for struggling communities. Many individuals consider work “a source of meaning and purpose, belonging, pride, friendship, and community.”

Welfare Reform and Upward Mobility Act Can Restart Welfare Reform

I'll consider welfare reform when we end the Federal Reserve. Until then, no.

Yeah right Basq

Some of us that actually have a sense of collectivism can sort out hand up from hand outs

can you?

Some of us have actually been down & out and lived it too

In the end, what makes any country great, is how the populace fares within it

So i'll tell you what, define YOUR metric , and maybe this will become more than another brain dead fluff post here

~S~

• Banned
Yeah right Basq

Some of us that actually have a sense of collectivism can sort out hand up from hand outs

can you?

Some of us have actually been down & out and lived it too

In the end, what makes any country great, is how the populace fares within it

So i'll tell you what, define YOUR metric , and maybe this will become more than another brain dead fluff post here

~S~
deport the poor to Mexico...let's become a wealthy nation!

"If Republicans were willing to scrutinize billionaires *half* as much as they scrutinize people on food stamps, this country would be a much better place." - Wacky AOC

If you have a busted car that’s worth a less than $5k, it should preclude you from food stamps, my friends!

"If Republicans were willing to scrutinize billionaires *half* as much as they scrutinize people on food stamps, this country would be a much better place." - Wacky AOC

LefTard Logic:
Don't aspire to be a self funded, rich job creator...aspire to be more like Guadalupe...work a shit job that pays shit money and have lots of babies you can't afford without stealing from others.

. We, as a nation, can and should do better in moving more Americans to self-sufficiency.

And you're solution is?

~S~
check the link!

I will not waste my time reading conservative bullshit from "heritage.org". These people do not live in the real world. And your hypothesis that you have to abuse people on welfare to get them off government assistance is a full one fallacy. If that were true, those of us who live in nations with cradle to the grave social programs, would all be layabouts doing nothing.

The married couple who won the Noble Prize in economis won for a paper which proved that welfare and social assistance programs actually motivate poor people to get off social assistance.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

my friends, in a vision of America in which liberty is primarily about unlimited personal freedom, place and home don’t matter much, and civic participation is beside the point. This same vision produces economic policy focused on individual advancement, where advancement means making more money and consuming more stuff...So in popular culture, billionaires become heroes, and the everyday working man becomes just some guy who never realized his potential

we need to lift folks from welfare to work, from dependence to independence, my friends!

Forum List

Back