Let's be honest

1. We have meddled in the political affairs of the Middle East for decades
  2. We have meddled in the military affairs of the Middle East for decades
  3. We have placed hundreds of thousands of soldiers on their sacred sand
  4. We have directly or indirectly been responsible for the deaths of thousands and thousands of their innocents, family members, friends
  5. We have destroyed countless buildings and structures with our bombs
  6. We have occupied their cities with our troops, a constant reminder of our military presence on their sovereign land
  7. We have introduced many items and behaviors of Western culture into their devout world
  8. By our actions, we have played right into the hands of those there who want to fan the flames

What would you say to someone in the Middle East who asked "precisely what gives America the right to do the above eight things?"

The free world has shown repeatedly it will spank your ass.

Evolve with the times like the rest of the world's religions and take your foot off of freedom.

So the eight things I listed are all justified because we demand that they "evolve with the times like the rest of the world's religions and take (their) foot off of freedom"?

That's it?

In the broadest sense. Yes.

Thier religion by force and subjugation has made them the world's problem children throughout history in every place they have existed.

They have the resources and oil wealth to be more and better.

So I guess what you are saying is shut up someone might kill you for saying the wrong thing.

yes, cause it makes common sense to make a anti Muslim film...

if someone is going to keep punching you in the face, jsut for being there, and you live your life to appease them? you got issues.

There's not one simple answer, not just one finger to point.

These people essentially have a 17th century mindset animated and exacerbated by their religion. Fine, that's their problem, not mine or ours. But then we stick our nose in their business pretty much everywhere, and -- far worse -- militarily occupy what they consider to be their sacred land and blow the living shit out of half of it so that we can fill up our Escalades and Hummers. Since they don't have jet fighters and rockets to fight us and get us the fuck out of there, they do what they can.

That gives their "leaders" plenty of fuel to preach their hate (funny, I see the same tactic used in America by race pimps, but that's for a different thread) and make a bad situation even worse.

If some Middle Eastern country wanted our coal and parked a few thousand tanks in Dubuque, what would we do?

Are you repeating the story line of the war for oil? When exactly are we getting that oil? I didn't think we had tanks in Libya nor Egypt. The Iraq war may well have been over oil but it was for the protection not the stealing as I think you are implying. Since the war in Iraq ended about a year ago on the Bush timeline doesn't it seem a bit of a stretch to think that all of a sudden there are riots on 9/11 over that war?

So I guess you reasoning is that they just hate America.

My reasoning is what I said it is: There are multiple elements involved.

One thing we never want to do is put ourselves in the shoes, er, sandals of someone over there who is watching our actions:

1. We have meddled in the political affairs of the Middle East for decades
  4. We have directly or indirectly been responsible for the deaths of thousands and thousands of their innocents, family members, friends
  6. We have occupied their cities with our troops, a constant reminder of our military presence on their sovereign land
  7. We have introduced many items and behaviors of Western culture into their devout world
  8. By our actions, we have played right into the hands of those there who want to fan the flames
So, two questions:

Would you honestly deny any of the 8 things I have listed above?

Can you understand why, based on the above 8 examples, people there may not think very highly of us?

I don't think those are unreasonable or radical questions.

You sir are a damn genius. What sucks is that isn't anything more than common sense. Which... Isn't standard or common anymore.

One thing we never want to do is put ourselves in the shoes, er, sandals of someone over there who is watching our actions:

1. [*]We have meddled in the political affairs of the Middle East for decades
So, two questions:

[*]We have meddled in the political affairs of the Middle East for decades

By meddle what do you mean? The disposition of the Shaw of Iran? Foreign aid? Certainly you can say Iraq and Afghanistan but those are not DEACADES ago. Or do you mean that up until the west discovered oil in the ME they were pretty much a nomadic poor bunch of folks? That what the west did for them is make them rich, without our consumption the cities the are building would not exist. I guess you could claim that we worked behind the curtains to dispose of ME leaders but I will be damned if I know of one other then maybe the Shaw of Iran.

[*]We have meddled in the military affairs of the Middle East for decades

Again, how do you mean we meddled in the military affairs of the ME? By supplying them with military hardware? By forcing Saddam out of Kuwait? By dropping a few bombs near Gaddafi? Or do you mean, by just being there?

[*]We have placed hundreds of thousands of soldiers on their sacred sand

What sacred sand? Are you saying that all of the ME is sacred sand?

[*]We have directly or indirectly been responsible for the deaths of thousands and thousands of their innocents, family members, friends

During wars yes and lately to support the Arab Spring.

[*]We have destroyed countless buildings and structures with our bombs

[*]We have occupied their cities with our troops, a constant reminder of our military presence on their sovereign land

What cities are we now occupying? Especially in Libya or Egypt?

[*]We have introduced many items and behaviors of Western culture into their devout world

Now what in the hell do you think we should do about that? Do they get the INTERNET or international news? You can call them devout and maybe they are but if the same behavior was shown in the US you damn well know that the liberals would be all over them for their devout behavior. Hell a cross on a Korean war memorial that stood for 50 years has to be taken down because of the whining from the left and that effected NO ONE. So I am not sure how the devout behavior of those in the ME would be accepted. I guess what is being said is that as long as they stay over there it's OK..

[*]By our actions, we have played right into the hands of those there who want to fan the flames

Considering that since the time of Jimmy Carter their behavior has not be modified then I am not sure this holds water either. Besides are we to modify our behavior because of the minority population of radical Muslims that commit such crimes? Are we to do as Clinton and run whenever confronted by "devout" killers?

Can you understand why, based on the above 8 examples, people there may not think very highly of us?

Considering that this whole OP is written concerning one incident, what does our behavior have to do with the attacks on the Germans and Brits? I can see people in Iraq or Afghanistan if they attacking but we are not seeing that. Except for Reagan dropping some bombs and Obama doing the same I don't see where we have interfered with Libya and I see nothing effecting Egypt as you list above.

I don't think those are unreasonable or radical questions

I would add a third question:

What would you say to someone in the Middle East who asked "precisely what gives America the right to do the above eight things?"

My first response back is, what right are you talking about? Who grants rights for any nation to do anything?

Do you think that the US, which was or still is the strongest and richest country in the world should sit back and watch the world go to hell in a hand basket? Certainly we did some things I cans see as a problem to the minority in the ME because that is the way they want to see it.

The Iraq war, removed a despot that was killing his own Muslim people, and a democracy came out of the ashes where even women can vote.

The 72 days of terror bombing in Serbia, that was all done at the bequest and benefit of Muslims.

While we did attack Iraq it again was at the bequest of Muslims, in Kuwait.

Afghanistan, the US supported the Norther Alliance when occupied by the Russians. And when the government that took over became a threat to all of mankind we took care of that business too. Who else if not the USA?

Yes, if you wish to paint the picture that for some reason, oil, we do nothing but meddle in the Arab affairs then I think that is a bit of a stretch. We, through our consumption of oil made those countries rich and what did they do with their wealth? Benefited a few while their countrymen still live in the stone age. The rich Arabs keep the poor in bondage through stone age enforcement of their Muslim law. No wonder they would be pissed but I think their anger is misdirected. At least until the Arab Spring, which we did meddle in.

What right do we have to try and stop the world from killing themselves and others? What right did we have to join in the war against Germany? What right did we have to bomb Serbia? What right do we have not to?

Last edited:
This sums it up nicely.

307796_498802116797370_448368804_n.jpg

So, two questions:

By meddle what do you mean? The disposition of the Shaw of Iran? Foreign aid? Certainly you can say Iraq and Afghanistan but those are not DEACADES ago. Or do you mean that up until the west discovered oil in the ME they were pretty much a nomadic poor bunch of folks? That what the west did for them is make them rich, without our consumption the cities the are building would not exist. I guess you could claim that we worked behind the curtains to dispose of ME leaders but I will be damned if I know of one other then maybe the Shaw of Iran.

Again, how do you mean we meddled in the military affairs of the ME? By supplying them with military hardware? By forcing Saddam out of Kuwait? By dropping a few bombs near Gaddafi? Or do you mean, by just being there?

[*]We have directly or indirectly been responsible for the deaths of thousands and thousands of their innocents, family members, friends

[*]We have occupied their cities with our troops, a constant reminder of our military presence on their sovereign land

[*]We have introduced many items and behaviors of Western culture into their devout world

Now what in the hell do you think we should do about that? Do they get the INTERNET or international news? You can call them devout and maybe they are but if the same behavior was shown in the US you damn well know that the liberals would be all over them for their devout behavior. Hell a cross on a Korean war memorial that stood for 50 years has to be taken down because of the whining from the left and that effected NO ONE. So I am not sure how the devout behavior of those in the ME would be accepted. I guess what is being said is that as long as they stay over there it's OK..

[*]By our actions, we have played right into the hands of those there who want to fan the flames

Considering that since the time of Jimmy Carter their behavior has not be modified then I am not sure this holds water either. Besides are we to modify our behavior because of the minority population of radical Muslims that commit such crimes? Are we to do as Clinton and run whenever confronted by "devout" killers?

Considering that this whole OP is written concerning one incident, what does our behavior have to do with the attacks on the Germans and Brits? I can see people in Iraq or Afghanistan if they attacking but we are not seeing that. Except for Reagan dropping some bombs and Obama doing the same I don't see where we have interfered with Libya and I see nothing effecting Egypt as you list above.

My first response back is, what right are you talking about? Who grants rights for any nation to do anything?

Do you think that the US, which was or still is the strongest and richest country in the world should sit back and watch the world go to hell in a hand basket? Certainly we did some things I cans see as a problem to the minority in the ME because that is the way they want to see it.

The Iraq war, removed a despot that was killing his own Muslim people, and a democracy came out of the ashes where even women can vote.

The 72 days of terror bombing in Serbia, that was all done at the bequest and benefit of Muslims.

Afghanistan, the US supported the Norther Alliance when occupied by the Russians. And when the government that took over became a threat to all of mankind we took care of that business too. Who else if not the USA?

Yes, if you wish to paint the picture that for some reason, oil, we do nothing but meddle in the Arab affairs then I think that is a bit of a stretch. We, through our consumption of oil made those countries rich and what did they do with their wealth? Benefited a few while their countrymen still live in the stone age. The rich Arabs keep the poor in bondage through stone age enforcement of their Muslim law. No wonder they would be pissed but I think their anger is misdirected. At least until the Arab Spring, which we did meddle in.

What right do we have to try and stop the world from killing themselves and others? What right did we have to join in the war against Germany? What right did we have to bomb Serbia? What right do we have not to?

I appreciate the civil response. I guess I have two thoughts on this:

First, you and I simply aren't going to agree on America's active/aggressive role in the Middle East. I have no doubt that some good has come from it, but the negatives -- thousands of American soldiers killed, more Americans wounded and maimed, destroyed families, destroyed minds, trillions of dollars we don't have, and the resulting inflamed hatred of us that leads to even MORE destruction and death-- are simply (and to me, clearly) not worth it.

But my question isn't about me, it's about the 20-year kid in the Middle East who is susceptible to the hatred being preached by the "leaders" who are taking full advantage of our behavior. This kid is there. He's the one seeing our troops on his sacred land, watching his friends and family die, seeing the destroyed buildings and American tanks rolling down his street, observing the way we have our hands in the affairs of virtually every country over there. Then, when he's told by those "leaders" that we're the bad guy, I don't think he's evil to believe it.

Then, when kids like this - who don't have tanks and high-tech missles and "smart bombs" and drones - do what they can to express their hatred of us for sticking our nose in their business, we act like the victims. And he sees that, too, and that makes it even worse.

I don't think we're looking at the big picture.

Honesty, what do you think is the real cause of the killings going on in the Middle East?

Is it because of American hatred?

Is it because of Americans religious bigotry?

Is it because of a movie released 1 year ago, or now that it was shown it was released a year ago the claim that it was the trailer released on YouTube? (story changes to fit circumstances)

Is it over the killing of OBL?

If you wish to discuss, a WHY would be nice.

the killings are merely a continuation of the violence that has been going on in the middle east since before old testament times.
Religion has been used as a tool to perpetuate and legitimize those killings but they are not about religion but about petty fear and hatred, greed, control, land, etc.

If it was not Islam vs Judeo-christianity it would be other religions as it was before those two religions becoame the predominate religions in the area.
Heck even among Islamics they fight and kill each other because they are not my sect of Islam.
kinda like Baptists killing Methodists.

The USA ahs been increasing it's meddling the middle easter affiars since before WW2 with the discovery of oil and such.
Other nations also meddle there and keep things stirred up.I expect it is hard to find a middle eastern family that has not had at least 1 family member killed by the USA or a dictator they supported.
The killings and wars will continue for at least 100 more years and longer.

The summation is that humans are stupid.

Last edited:

So, two questions:

I appreciate the civil response. I guess I have two thoughts on this:

First, you and I simply aren't going to agree on America's active/aggressive role in the Middle East. I have no doubt that some good has come from it, but the negatives -- thousands of American soldiers killed, more Americans wounded and maimed, destroyed families, destroyed minds, trillions of dollars we don't have, and the resulting inflamed hatred of us that leads to even MORE destruction and death-- are simply (and to me, clearly) not worth it.

But my question isn't about me, it's about the 20-year kid in the Middle East who is susceptible to the hatred being preached by the "leaders" who are taking full advantage of our behavior. This kid is there. He's the one seeing our troops on his sacred land, watching his friends and family die, seeing the destroyed buildings and American tanks rolling down his street, observing the way we have our hands in the affairs of virtually every country over there. Then, when he's told by those "leaders" that we're the bad guy, I don't think he's evil to believe it.

Then, when kids like this - who don't have tanks and high-tech missles and "smart bombs" and drones - do what they can to express their hatred of us for sticking our nose in their business, we act like the victims. And he sees that, too, and that makes it even worse.

I don't think we're looking at the big picture.

In life people have to realize there is the strong and those who are not. We being strong has little to do with them being weak. As I said their leaders are keeping them as poor slaves through their religion and the spreading of propaganda.

I personally agree with you, the use of predator missiles has gotten out of hand. The execution of OBL, while apparently justified, we should have known it would bring repercussions. Which is why I am thinking that Bush didn't take him out in the first place. Not sure if that is true of course. War is one thing but bombing countries that we are allies just doesn't seem right.

But I disagree with you that everything in your 8 statements are true.

Taking them one at a time. You said we were occupying Arab cities, I ask, which ones? Other then Afghanistan. As I also said I can understand protest in Iraq and Afghanistan but interestingly I have not seen reports of any. How about the 20 year old that was in Kuwait then the despot took over, do you think he had a problem with US involvement?

So what cities are we occupying on sacred ground?

Taking them one at a time. You said we were occupying Arab cities, I ask, which ones? Other then Afghanistan. As I also said I can understand protest in Iraq and Afghanistan but interestingly I have not seen reports of any. How about the 20 year old that was in Kuwait then the despot took over, do you think he had a problem with US involvement?

Remember that we're looking at this from the eyes of a kid in the Middle East who is having our actions "interpreted" by his "religious leaders", and is going to be very sensitive to anything that we do that will confirm and enforce what he's being told.

This guy is going to view "occupation" as anywhere we have a military footprint for more than one night. So the several cities we've had or still have military presence in Iraq are prime examples. Afghanistan. He saw us to into Pakistan to take out bin Laden. We have troops and/or intelligence people all over the freakin' place there, that to him is occupation.

I'm not talking about the way Hitler occupied France. I'm talking about perception that is then reinforced and inflamed by this kid's "religious leaders". We simply don't take this into account when we roll our tanks into other sovereign countries.

My point is about why we're being attacked there. There are a lot of people who hate us, people who will manifest their hate, and we can't pretend it's for no reason.

Remember that we're looking at this from the eyes of a kid in the Middle East who is having our actions "interpreted" by his "religious leaders", and is going to be very sensitive to anything that we do that will confirm and enforce what he's being told.

This guy is going to view "occupation" as anywhere we have a military footprint for more than one night. So the several cities we've had or still have military presence in Iraq are prime examples. Afghanistan. He saw us to into Pakistan to take out bin Laden. We have troops and/or intelligence people all over the freakin' place there, that to him is occupation.

I'm not talking about the way Hitler occupied France. I'm talking about perception that is then reinforced and inflamed by this kid's "religious leaders". We simply don't take this into account when we roll our tanks into other sovereign countries.

My point is about why we're being attacked there. There are a lot of people who hate us, people who will manifest their hate, and we can't pretend it's for no reason.

Please take no offense but we certainly can imagine them believing anything. I mean you say they believe these things, how do you know they do? So as I said, just being there is interpreted as occupying. I guess I should start thinking that Muslims that are in this country are occupying our country.

The kid in the middle east wears Nikes, listens to rap, loves US movies and wants an Ipad.

Honesty, what do you think is the real cause of the killings going on in the Middle East?

Is it because of American hatred?

Is it because of Americans religious bigotry?

Is it because of a movie released 1 year ago, or now that it was shown it was released a year ago the claim that it was the trailer released on YouTube? (story changes to fit circumstances)

Is it over the killing of OBL?

If you wish to discuss, a WHY would be nice.

None of the above, actually.

It’s telling how many Americans perceive the United States as the cause for all things that occur around the world, and that the world is somehow ‘obsessed’ with the United States.

The attack in Benghazi, for example, was the consequence of struggles between and among various factions in post-revolution Libya. The criminals who attacked the Americans consulate had also attacked other foreign missions, and fellow Libyans as well.

And reports confirm that those involved in the attack did not see the controversial film.

The motives for the attacks are complex and fluid; and as with other Western entities in the Region, American involvement is peripheral – where attacks on American interests are done to realize an agenda having little or nothing to do with the United States in the long run.

The attacks in Benghazi were likely designed to embarrass and destabilize the government in Tripoli.

Forum List

Back