lets avoid a flamewar but discuss spanking your kids

SLC huh? Apparently you have not been made aware of this:

"Nestled in the shadows of the spectacular Wasatch Mountains, which offer some of the world's best skiing as well as the annual (and very gay) Sundance Film Festival (held in nearby Park City), Salt Lake City has a conservative reputation owing to its Mormon heritage and Utah's decidedly red-state status. But Salt Lake is an eclectic city with plenty of outdoorsy, environmentally minded, socially liberal residents, and the handful of gay nightclubs here are wildly fun, much to the surprise of first-time visitors. There are several gay-friendly B&Bs in town as well as the gay-popular Hotel Monaco."

From "The Most Underrated Gay-Friendly Cities in America", by Andrew Collins.

I was kinda surprised too. But trust me, gay people know their BDSM.

I have spanked a few times... usually way back when they were still in diapers... when the sound and shock is more than any pain feeling they get

I think it is something that can put a child in their place... I have seen the result of the 'friend' parents, and I would never want that

yea the "friend" parent is insane to me, it usually comes from a weak parent who can't take it if anyone is mad at them or upset with them. I don't think kids should be afraid of their parents but their should definitely be a level of respect more than "buddy buddy"

So if you don't smack your kids, you're weak?

Hey if you don't smack your fiends, does that make you weak too?

How about your wife?

Your parents?

Total strangers?

Animals?

Let me ask you this...who wouldn't you smack to teach them a lesson, exactly?

I have spanked a few times... usually way back when they were still in diapers... when the sound and shock is more than any pain feeling they get

I think it is something that can put a child in their place... I have seen the result of the 'friend' parents, and I would never want that

yea the "friend" parent is insane to me, it usually comes from a weak parent who can't take it if anyone is mad at them or upset with them. I don't think kids should be afraid of their parents but their should definitely be a level of respect more than "buddy buddy"

How about your wife?

Your parents?

Total strangers?

Animals?

My kids are now 11 and almost 15... it's been a few years since either has had a smack, spanking, or whatever... after they knew they would get smacked, they pretty much knew when the count to 3 started, it was wise to stop the action or else the possibility of a smack was in the air

As young adults or adults.. I have no inkling to use a smack, as the base teaching that came from that is already in place... now it is the detailed lessons and the more intellectual lessons that have to be taught and learned

As for friends though.. I have literally punched my best friend to set him straight... and he's seen me at my worst and put a fist upside of my head as well... but that is a whole different scenario than a punishment for a young child...

Now I have been in a situation when my oldest was about 3, and while taking food back to the table she greedily reached up and grabbed the tray, spilling everything everywhere... and she received a swat on the behind over her training pants, as she was being set down in the booth so that I could help clean things up... some nosy piece of shit guy decides it is in his place to come over and tell me how laying a hand on any child is wrong and has no place in 'today's society'... so I offered him a smacking around session outside since he decided that he had a place in the correction of my child... watched the little coward start to shake and slink out the exit to the restaurant as a couple of people gave a little applause to my offer

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

How about your wife?

Your parents?

Total strangers?

Animals?

did you quote the wrong post? :confused:

Be consistent, say what you mean, mean what you say and stick with the punishment . . . even if they are all nice and sweet later on. Especially if they are all nice and sweet after have they've had a good dinner. Oy.

There's always jail.

I have found the Vulcan death grip works pretty well too.

:lol:

Well, if you're a Vulcan, then you shouldn't need to do anymore than present a logical arguement.:eusa_whistle:

Jail has many advantages. I suggest using any money you may feel the need to use for bail on airfare to Las Vegas instead. By the time they get out, you can tell them what a great vacation you had whilst they were away.

Last edited:

How about your wife?

Your parents?

Total strangers?

Animals?

My kids are now 11 and almost 15... it's been a few years since either has had a smack, spanking, or whatever... after they knew they would get smacked, they pretty much knew when the count to 3 started, it was wise to stop the action or else the possibility of a smack was in the air

As young adults or adults.. I have no inkling to use a smack, as the base teaching that came from that is already in place... now it is the detailed lessons and the more intellectual lessons that have to be taught and learned

As for friends though.. I have literally punched my best friend to set him straight... and he's seen me at my worst and put a fist upside of my head as well... but that is a whole different scenario than a punishment for a young child...

Now I have been in a situation when my oldest was about 3, and while taking food back to the table she greedily reached up and grabbed the tray, spilling everything everywhere... and she received a swat on the behind over her training pants, as she was being set down in the booth so that I could help clean things up... some nosy piece of shit guy decides it is in his place to come over and tell me how laying a hand on any child is wrong and has no place in 'today's society'... so I offered him a smacking around session outside since he decided that he had a place in the correction of my child... watched the little coward start to shake and slink out the exit to the restaurant as a couple of people gave a little applause to my offer

I conclude that the answer is "no one," (however I suspect DD, like myself, draws the line with females).

I think society benefits from the reality that some men are willing to be human males: Hormone Filled Beasts that are strong enough to break your face, and ignore the consequence.

They keep everyone as polite as any intangible "law."

Just wanted to add that for those that liked that our kids have no tvs in their rooms . . . if they had a computer with internet access, that would enable them to watch whatever they wanted in their rooms (via the internet). So, no computers either. Besides the internet is like letting the whole world into your kids bedroom. Nu uh, not doing that. With it in the living room we can keep an eye on them and what they're doing.

We have a tv in our bedroom, one in the family room w/comcast on demand box and one in the basement w/comcast on demand box. We utilize the parental controls with the on demand boxes . . . helps greatly when we don't want them watching stuff like mtv or movies or shows that we don't think are appropriate. Drives my son nuts cause he wants to watch all these 'action' type movies. Some are ok, some are not . . . depends on what they filter out (they frequently leave too much in, imo) The parental controls give us peace of mind.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that for those that liked that our kids have no tvs in their rooms . . . if they had a computer with internet access, that would enable them to watch whatever they wanted in their rooms (via the internet). So, no computers either. Besides the internet is like letting the whole world into your kids bedroom. Nu uh, not doing that. With it in the living room we can keep an eye on them and what they're doing.

We have a tv in our bedroom, one in the family room w/comcast on demand box and one in the basement w/comcast on demand box. We utilize the parental controls with the on demand boxes . . . helps greatly when we don't want them watching stuff like mtv or movies or shows that we don't think are appropriate. Drives my son nuts cause he wants to watch all these 'action' type movies. Some are ok, some are not . . . depends on what they filter out (they frequently leave too much in, imo) The parental controls give us peace of mind.

I too am not a fan of TV in kids rooms.

However, most TV's can be programmed to show only "G-rated" shows, and even programmed only to operate during certain days and hours.

One of the advantages of giving the onery little tykes a TV, is that it gives you something else to take away from them as punishment.

However, most TV's can be programmed to show only "G-rated" shows, and even programmed only to operate during certain days and hours.

One of the advantages of giving the onery little tykes a TV, is that it gives you something else to take away from them as punishment.

:lol::lol:

yea if my step-son continues his interest in programming and computers in general besides games and gets the computer in his room soon it won't have internet for a couple years. Whenever it does get internet I will probably setup web filters at the router as well

yea if my step-son continues his interest in programming and computers in general besides games and gets the computer in his room soon it won't have internet for a couple years. Whenever it does get internet I will probably setup web filters at the router as well

How do you do that?

Good plan blu. Time out was a biggie for our kids when they were young. What I did was filled their rooms with books and NO TOYS! Both of my boys were reading before Kindergarten

we have something similar, we setup a very comfortable version of one of those portable sleeping mats under a reading light in his room right next to his bookshelf. he reallly likes it and will just lay on it for hours readign through his books. we are also lucky to have an amazing library 2 miles from our house and he actually enjoys going now.

My younger son gets his license next week. Car keys may be an option.

I am dreading this day and having to teach my step-son driving

Coming to the the U.S.?

I doubht it, people have been trying for years.

How do you do that?

almost every home router has filters, if you give me your router model I can look up to see if yours has it and how to do it. most models also let you limit the hours/days/times that PCs can be online althought this is usually based on IP address or MAC (network card) address so if your son knows how to change his IP or MAC he can get around that filter unless you make the filter work for every computer on the network which you may want anyway. you also should make sure the computer in his room doesn't have wireless because your filters are useless if he can just connect to your neighbors open wireless router.

I have a multi network card Linux box as my router and can do more than the home router's but the home router's are more than sufficient.

I have no TV in the kids rooms either... but do have a play room TV that is used by the kids during sleepover parties.. as that is a different situation

Coming from a kid's perspective, spanking just provokes a child. It always made me much more angry at my parent(s). But I guess it is effective for some people.

Forum List

Back