Lets apologize

Agreed.

Internments camps were the true display of America's racism during WWII.

You are aware that the US all interned thousands of Germans and held some until 1946?

And?

Last I checked the German race is predominately white. And in the 1940's this would have been especially true. Claiming that we only interned the Japanese because they were Asian is simply not true. Now how we wenr about it might make your case. Giving them one day to get rid of property and such.

No Japanese were held past the end of the war and a Supreme Court case ordered the Government to release them. Last I checked all 9 of the Supremes were white as well. At least in the 1940's.

We held Germans for over a year after Germany surrendered. American citizens.

The Allies made it clear that they would only accept an unconditional surrender. That policy is what forced the issue and made the nuclear bombings, "necessary." Without the strict unconditional surrender policy the bombings wouldn't have been, "necessary."

History proves that incorrect. The Army controlled the Government and were more then willing to die to the last man rather then surrender. Their defense plan was to command all civilians to equip themselves with bamboo spears and human wave attack any invasion site until all the civilians were dead or the invaders were driven back into the sea.

After months of fire bombing which crippled their industry and killed over a million civilians they were prepared to issue the above orders. KNOWING they could not feed the population or provide adequate fuel sources for winter they REFUSED to surrender.

After one Atomic Bomb the Army refused to surrender demanding ridiculous terms. After a second they still refused and were over ruled by the Emperor. The Army staged a Coup to seize the tape of the surrender, fortunately for the Japanese people that Coup failed.

Without the "unconditional surrender" policy the war could have been ended without nuking Japan. Call it "ceasing hostilities" or what you will but the fighting would have stopped and the nukes would not have been dropped. The Japanese were cornered, decimated, and up against the wall. What might have happened after is speculation.

I'm not saying it wasn't necessary based on the situation we put ourselves in because it was, IMO, just that if things were a little different than it wouldn't have been.

The Allies made it clear that they would only accept an unconditional surrender. That policy is what forced the issue and made the nuclear bombings, "necessary." Without the strict unconditional surrender policy the bombings wouldn't have been, "necessary."

History proves that incorrect. The Army controlled the Government and were more then willing to die to the last man rather then surrender. Their defense plan was to command all civilians to equip themselves with bamboo spears and human wave attack any invasion site until all the civilians were dead or the invaders were driven back into the sea.

After months of fire bombing which crippled their industry and killed over a million civilians they were prepared to issue the above orders. KNOWING they could not feed the population or provide adequate fuel sources for winter they REFUSED to surrender.

After one Atomic Bomb the Army refused to surrender demanding ridiculous terms. After a second they still refused and were over ruled by the Emperor. The Army staged a Coup to seize the tape of the surrender, fortunately for the Japanese people that Coup failed.

Without the "unconditional surrender" policy the war could have been ended without nuking Japan. Call it "ceasing hostilities" or what you will but the fighting would have stopped and the nukes would not have been dropped. The Japanese were cornered, decimated, and up against the wall. What might have happened after is speculation.

I'm not saying it wasn't necessary based on the situation we put ourselves in because it was, IMO, just that if things were a little different than it wouldn't have been.

The evidence is clear, all the Japanese Army would have accepted is a cessation of the war. And you think that would have been a good idea?

You are aware that the US all interned thousands of Germans and held some until 1946?

And?

Last I checked the German race is predominately white. And in the 1940's this would have been especially true. Claiming that we only interned the Japanese because they were Asian is simply not true. Now how we wenr about it might make your case. Giving them one day to get rid of property and such.

No Japanese were held past the end of the war and a Supreme Court case ordered the Government to release them. Last I checked all 9 of the Supremes were white as well. At least in the 1940's.

I didn't claim we only interned the Japanese. That we interned them and Germans shows our racism. We stereotyped, and in this case, imprisoned people based solely on their ethnic background.

The evidence is clear, all the Japanese Army would have accepted is a cessation of the war. And you think that would have been a good idea?

Maybe, maybe not. But who knows? Not you or I. Japan was annihilated at the time. What do you think the chances were of them rebuilding and becoming a legit threat to the world? They failed the first go around and they had the Wehrmacht raising hell in Europe to help them out.

I didn't claim we only interned the Japanese. That we interned them and Germans shows our racism. We stereotyped, and in this case, imprisoned people based solely on their ethnic background.

Another broad statement that simply is not borne out by the facts. In Hawaii 3 Japanese American citizens who had been loyal to the US helped a captured Japanese pilot try to escape, they helped him murder Hawaiian nationals. In the Case of Germans we had numerous cases of attempted sabotage on the East Coast.

The decision to intern was made partly on race or ethnicity and partly on the facts as evidenced by the REALITIES of 1941/42 World.

Maybe, maybe not. But who knows? Not you or I. Japan was annihilated at the time. What do you think the chances were of them rebuilding and becoming a legit threat to the world? They failed the first go around and they had the Wehrmacht raising hell in Europe to help them out.

Ya, North Korea is a prime example of what that attitude leads to.

Another broad statement that simply is not borne out by the facts. In Hawaii 3 Japanese American citizens who had been loyal to the US helped a captured Japanese pilot try to escape, they helped him murder Hawaiian nationals. In the Case of Germans we had numerous cases of attempted sabotage on the East Coast.

The decision to intern was made partly on race or ethnicity and partly on the facts as evidenced by the REALITIES of 1941/42 World.

A bunch of innocent people got rounded up and put into prison camps because of where they were from, yes?

Sixty years of stalemate and no fighting while they remain inept and poor and we prosper? Sounds cool to me.

A bunch of innocent people got rounded up and put into prison camps because of where they were from, yes?

You make the claim the only reason they got rounded up was their race, that simply is not true or rather not the whole true picture. The reality in 1941 was that the Japanese DID have a NATIONAL tendency to defer to the Emperor even those that had changed Countries, that Germans were in fact loyal to the Home land as well even over their new Country.

I am pointing out there WERE valid military reasons to worry about both groups.

Sixty years of stalemate and no fighting while they remain inept and poor and we prosper? Sounds cool to me.

SO poor they now have at least one or more nukes and the means to deliver them at least in their part of the world. Ya great plan.

Where is Obama apologizing? What exactly do you find wrong with this? Partisan hack much? :cuckoo:

What is wrong? The sites are used to bash the US. The sponsors at those cites make the claim that the bombs never needed to be dropped. That the US was racist for dropping them. They ignore the fact they started the war and then when they lost refused to surrender, that they planned mass human wave bamboo spear attacks with civilians on any invasion that took place. That the bombs actually saved millions of lives. That it was a WAR. And the bombs were dropped on MILITARY Targets.

This President is sending our Ambassador to a site who's sole purpose is to attack the US.

A city is a military target? The aiming point in Hiroshima was the Aioi Bridge

aioi_bridge_before_bomb.jpg

You make the claim the only reason they got rounded up was their race, that simply is not true or rather not the whole true picture. The reality in 1941 was that the Japanese DID have a NATIONAL tendency to defer to the Emperor even those that had changed Countries, that Germans were in fact loyal to the Home land as well even over their new Country.

I am pointing out there WERE valid military reasons to worry about both groups.

And that's fine. I'm pointing out that a lot of innocent people got caught up in that net and it was because of where they were from/the language they spoke/what they looked like. That's racism, RGS. I don't know why it's so hard for you to acknowledge that when you consider our own armed forces were segregated at the time.

Where is Obama apologizing? What exactly do you find wrong with this? Partisan hack much? :cuckoo:

What is wrong? The sites are used to bash the US. The sponsors at those cites make the claim that the bombs never needed to be dropped. That the US was racist for dropping them. They ignore the fact they started the war and then when they lost refused to surrender, that they planned mass human wave bamboo spear attacks with civilians on any invasion that took place. That the bombs actually saved millions of lives. That it was a WAR. And the bombs were dropped on MILITARY Targets.

This President is sending our Ambassador to a site who's sole purpose is to attack the US.

A city is a military target? The aiming point in Hiroshima was the Aioi Bridge

aioi_bridge_before_bomb.jpg

Yes as a matter of fact. Cities in WW2 were all valid targets. In this case, it had production facilities and several Army Headquarters were troops were being marshaled for the defense of the Island. Further since the Japanese intended to arm all civilians with bamboo spears and mass human wave attack any landing, that makes civilians military targets as well.

SO poor they now have at least one or more nukes and the means to deliver them at least in their part of the world. Ya great plan.

Right.

Because surely possessing one nuclear bomb this day and age = wealthy and a real threat.

Don't be silly.

Right.

Because surely possessing one nuclear bomb this day and age = wealthy and a real threat.

Don't be silly.

If the people that have the bomb are CRAZY, yes it is a threat.

Right.

Don't be silly.

If the people that have the bomb are CRAZY, yes it is a threat.

They are under China's thumb and China wants to win it all without firing a shot. No. Korea may be pain in the ass sometimes but they aren't going to launch nukes any time soon.

Forum List

Back