Let's address the REAL issue.

In mass shootings involving guns and mind-altering medications, politicians immediately seek to blame guns but never the medication.

Nearly every mass shooting that has taken place in America over the last two decades has a link to psychiatric medication, and it appears today’s tragic event is headed in the same direction.

According to ABC News, Adam Lanza, the alleged shooter, has been labeled as having “mental illness” and a “personality disorder.” These are precisely the words typically heard in a person who is being “treated” with mind-altering psychiatric drugs.

One of the most common side effects of psychiatric drugs is violent outbursts and thoughts of suicide.
School Shooter Adam Lanza Likely on Meds; Labeled as Having

I keep hearing that he had mental issues, wonder how he had access to guns..

Apparently from his mother.

In mass shootings involving guns and mind-altering medications, politicians immediately seek to blame guns but never the medication.

Nearly every mass shooting that has taken place in America over the last two decades has a link to psychiatric medication, and it appears today’s tragic event is headed in the same direction.

According to ABC News, Adam Lanza, the alleged shooter, has been labeled as having “mental illness” and a “personality disorder.” These are precisely the words typically heard in a person who is being “treated” with mind-altering psychiatric drugs.

One of the most common side effects of psychiatric drugs is violent outbursts and thoughts of suicide.
School Shooter Adam Lanza Likely on Meds; Labeled as Having

According to reports, he was actually recently denied access twice, but his mother legally owned several firearms which they used together at a target range and he somehow had access to them in her home...

The adult woman found at the secondary crime scene was related to the shooter, a police news release said, and many media outlets have reported it was the shooter's mother, Nancy Lanza.

POLICE INVESTIGATE THE GUNS

Nancy Lanza legally owned a Sig Sauer and a Glock, both handguns of models commonly used by police, and a military-style Bushmaster .223 M4 carbine, according to law enforcement officials who also believe Adam Lanza used at least some of those weapons.

"We're investigating the history of each and every weapon and we will know every single thing about those weapons," Vance said.

Nancy Lanza was an avid gun collector who once showed him a "really nice, high-end rifle" that she had purchased, said Dan Holmes, owner of a landscaping business who recently decorated her yard with Christmas garlands and lights. "She said she would often go target shooting with her kids."

Police find good evidence on motive for Connecticut school massacre | Reuters

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ain-the-gun-control-debate-3.html#post6499786

Which would go to the pointlessness of focusing on the availability of guns.

He acquired them illegally, either by his mother’s bad actions – such as not securing the guns properly – or through his own misappropriation.

There also seems nothing usual about the handguns – standard capacity semi-auto target pistols. The AR seems of standard configuration as well.

I was going to congratulate the posters on this thread for a serious discussion for exactly that.

Any discussion that doesn't mention guns (and the ancillary issues such as magazine size, semi-automatic pistols versus revolvers, mental health issues regarding gun ownership, and which guns can and cannot be owned by the general public etc) isn't a serious discussion at all.

Feel free to not post here.

Your thread title is about the REAL issue. That's what I'm addressing. So, I'll post here unless you have your thread title changed.

Besides, your contention that one of the following reasons...

1. Our society in general.
2. Our culture of violence.
3. Our culture of entitlement.
4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
7. Mishandling of the mentally ill.
8. Disenfranchizement.

...is the real issue is highly questionable, not to mention vague.

Our society in general? What does that mean. We can't control guns but we're somehow supposed to change all of society in the hope that does the trick? Hell, Canada has a pretty darn similar society to ours, and THEY don't have all this gun violence.

If YOU can't be more specific, I certainly can be.

Any discussion that doesn't mention guns (and the ancillary issues such as magazine size, semi-automatic pistols versus revolvers, mental health issues regarding gun ownership, and which guns can and cannot be owned by the general public etc) isn't a serious discussion at all.

Strongly disagree. This thread is about motive not method. There are a gazillion threads out there if method is what you want to discuss. But those of us who can see other dimensions are appreciating a discussion that takes in a broader perspective.

Regardless of motive, people cannot be killed en masse at a distance without easy access to firearms.

And since we're not going to be able to do away with hate, resentment, anger, etc, dealing with method IS relevant.

It is relevant only if you are discussing method. There are numerous active threads out there in which you can do that.

But to assume that it is necessary to have firearms in order to commit mass murder is ludicrous. It can be done sabotaging mass transportion, with poisonous mushrooms or other toxins introduced into the food or water supply, with arson, flammable fuels, explosive gasses, nerve agents, C4, dynamite, molotov cocktails, or in the case of a recent incident in China, with a knife. etc. etc. etc.

So in this thread, let's respect the OP's emphasis that sets aside the 'how' for now and focuses on the 'why'.

Last edited:

Which would go to the pointlessness of focusing on the availability of guns.

He acquired them illegally, either by his mother’s bad actions – such as not securing the guns properly – or through his own misappropriation.

There also seems nothing usual about the handguns – standard capacity semi-auto target pistols. The AR seems of standard configuration as well.

There is so much out there and a lot of it is false but if this part of the story is true than it tells quite a fascinating and sorry picture. His mom must have known that this kid tried to get a firearm and failed. She also should have known her kid was troubled. Yet she teaches the kid to use guns and has a pretty good stockpile of ammo as well. All of it unsecured. Of course I know that this is a lot of speculation on my part, based on what I have only heard in this forum.

Your thread title is about the REAL issue. That's what I'm addressing. So, I'll post here unless you have your thread title changed.

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Our society in general? What does that mean. We can't control guns but we're somehow supposed to change all of society in the hope that does the trick? Hell, Canada has a pretty darn similar society to ours, and THEY don't have all this gun violence.

Guns are a means dumbass, not a reason. Go peddle that stupidity somewhere else.

Strongly disagree. This thread is about motive not method. There are a gazillion threads out there if method is what you want to discuss. But those of us who can see other dimensions are appreciating a discussion that takes in a broader perspective.

Regardless of motive, people cannot be killed en masse at a distance without easy access to firearms.

And since we're not going to be able to do away with hate, resentment, anger, etc, dealing with method IS relevant.

It is relevant only if you are discussing method. There are numerous active threads out there in which you can do that.

But to assume that it is necessary to have firearms in order to commit mass murder is ludicrous. It can be done sabotaging mass transportion, with poisonous mushrooms or other toxins introduced into the food or water supply, with arson, flammable fuels, explosive gasses, nerve agents, C4, dynamite, molotov cocktails, or in the case of a recent incident in China, with a knife. etc. etc. etc.

So in this thread, let's respect the OP's emphasis that sets aside the 'how' for now and focuses on the 'why'.

Thank you, another thread on gun control is not needed.

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Guns are a means dumbass, not a reason. Go peddle that stupidity somewhere else.

Gun violence requires guns.

The real issue is; Why do these shootings take place?

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Where are these lunatics coming from? How many more are out there?

Odd that guns aren't even mentioned.
Get a clue finally...Sorry..

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Large capacity magazines have nothing to do with the extent of the mortality and morbidity of these incidents? You're a loon.

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Odd that guns aren't even mentioned.
Get a clue finally...Sorry..

Apparently there's little chance of that.

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Large capacity magazines have nothing to do with the extent of the mortality and morbidity of these incidents? You're a loon.

The weapon of choice or ability has nothing to do with the impulse to commit these horrible and unconscionable crimes.

So one more time:

To assume that it is necessary to have firearms of any type in order to commit mass murder is ludicrous. It can be done sabotaging mass transportion, with poisonous mushrooms or other toxins introduced into the food or water supply, with arson, flammable fuels, explosive gasses, nerve agents, C4, dynamite, molotov cocktails, or in the case of a recent incident in China, with a knife. etc. etc. etc.

So in this thread, let's respect the focus of the OP, set aside the 'how' for now, and focus on the 'why'.

It isn't as sexy a subject as the same old platitudes about gun control, but it is interesting to a lot of us.

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

It has about as much sense as banning the large drink in New York, where as people will just buy more of the small drinks if they want the same consumption rates into their bodies, and so it is the same with anything else, where as people will get what they want to do the job whether it be on themselves or on other people, so until the mindset is changed eventually, then nothing changes at all is this stuff..

Last edited:

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

And you're illiterate.

I'm not talking about the mortality and morbidity of the incident.

Get off the computer and go play outside.

Last edited:

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

It has about as much sense as banning the large drink in New York, where as people will just by more of the small drinks if they want the same consumption rates into their bodies, and so it is the same with anything else, where as people will get what they want to do the job whether it be on themselves or on other people, so until the mindset is changed eventually, then nothing changes at all is this stuff..

He's a troll, and an illiterate one at that.

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

The weapon of choice or ability has nothing to do with the impulse to commit these horrible and unconscionable crimes.

So one more time:

To assume that it is necessary to have firearms of any type in order to commit mass murder is ludicrous. It can be done sabotaging mass transportion, with poisonous mushrooms or other toxins introduced into the food or water supply, with arson, flammable fuels, explosive gasses, nerve agents, C4, dynamite, molotov cocktails, or in the case of a recent incident in China, with a knife. etc. etc. etc.

So in this thread, let's respect the focus of the OP, set aside the 'how' for now, and focus on the 'why'.

It isn't as sexy a subject as the same old platitudes about gun control, but it is interesting to a lot of us.
I wonder why the thanks button is taken away from some of these post, but on others it remains ? Anyway thanks for this useful post..

Aside and off topic for a moment: that mysterious vanishing thanks button comes right back if you refresh your page. (Took me awhile to figure that out and I think somebody suggested it.)

Back on topic:
We need to stay focused on the topic please and not allow some to drag it off topic and/or dissolve it into a food fight.

Aside and off topic for a moment: that mysterious vanishing thanks button comes right back if you refresh your page. (Took me awhile to figure that out and I think somebody suggested it.)

Back on topic:
We need to stay focused on the topic please and not allow some to drag it off topic and/or dissolve it into a food fight.

Just ignore the trolls, they'll get bored and leave.

Or, we could just mercilessly ridicule them, that's fun too.

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Perhaps we should consider stopping the fluoridation of water. What's a few more cavities if it could put an end to gun violence.

Forum List

Back