Let's address the REAL issue.

The real issue is; Why do these shootings take place?

Possible reasons:

1. Our society in general.
2. Our culture of violence.
3. Our culture of entitlement.
4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
7. Mishandling of the mentally ill.

Where are these lunatics coming from? How many more are out there?

7. are just some of the the known culprits to begin with. There are more, but I think that injustice in America has been the biggest one of all.

When ever a court sides on the wrong side of the issues or upon a single issue, the waves radiate for thousands of miles out across America, and they crush everything in their path, because it empowers evil over good when this happens, and lately (the last 30+ years or better) we have had some of the baddest court decisions and/or decisions made by our leaders that we can hardly ever stomach, much less tolerate. Go back and review court decisions in America, and look what it has empowered now, and look what our government has created now over the years. It could take years to clean all this mess up, and then it might not be done then..:eusa_pray:

Who decides what is the ‘wrong side’ of an issue?

Otherwise, no, this has nothing to do with the problem of gun violence.
I can't speak to this sort of narrow minded view in life, so I'm sorry (no offense intended).. Maybe read my works again, and then think about it some more..

Snow storms cause deaths every year. We gonna ban traveling in snow too?

When I said anything taken to an extreme can be a negative.....well this thread is a prime example.

Thanks but I prefer to make my own choices about alcohol, games and every other freedom I choose to indulge in.
How about making the free choice to drop out of this thread then ? I promise that we won't be upset if you do... It's really that simple..

Should we ban alchohol because many get drunk, get in a car and kill someone or do we ban the car or do we blame the person?

Should we ban guns because this guy walked into a school and murdered 20 children or do we blame the person who did it?

Should we ban television because some kids saw a crime and then decided that they wanted to know what it felt like to commit murder or do we blame the kids?

No thing, no person is to blame other than the person who committed the murders.
Could make alcohol more expensive like ciggeretts, and tax it to death, + take out some of the alcohol content by percentages of, where as it would take a person 5 six packs to get a buzz, and then they better be at home or not driving when they get that buzz or else.

There are ways to slow many things down, but monied interest takes precidence over our wills to do the right thing, and this sadly for us and our children in this nation.

Money doesn't take precidence our fucking freedoms do.

You've lost it dude..... seek help
You are one confused and twisted individual you know that, so screw everybody else, just as long as you get your way in life huh ?

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Odd that guns aren't even mentioned.

I have appreciated many thoughtful comments in this thread, but having some background dealing with the addictions and other such anomalies, I know that the truly evil, the delusional, the addicted, the sociopath need no reason or justification for what they do. If they cannot provoke a 'reason', they will manufacture one.

Still in a society that once was much more heavily armed, much more racist, much more narrow minded, much more militant, and where violent games (cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, etc.) were commonplace, and where a few sadistic teachers and school bullies existed just as they do now, we nevertheless had complete confidence that our children were safe at school. Because they were.

I think the problem is cultural. Not only are shared values, especially moral ones, no longer taught and reinforced, but they are too often prohibited in many venues, including the schools. We have become a fragmented, less religious, and more divided society with groups pitted against each other rather than one cohesive people. Those common values that once informed, guided, and modified our behaviors are no longer the norm. And this has so altered our national conscience that it is much easier for the sociopathic zealot to justify the unthinkable.

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

I was going to congratulate the posters on this thread for a serious discussion for exactly that.

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

I was going to congratulate the posters on this thread for a serious discussion for exactly that.

Any discussion that doesn't mention guns (and the ancillary issues such as magazine size, semi-automatic pistols versus revolvers, mental health issues regarding gun ownership, and which guns can and cannot be owned by the general public etc) isn't a serious discussion at all.

In mass shootings involving guns and mind-altering medications, politicians immediately seek to blame guns but never the medication.

Nearly every mass shooting that has taken place in America over the last two decades has a link to psychiatric medication, and it appears today’s tragic event is headed in the same direction.

According to ABC News, Adam Lanza, the alleged shooter, has been labeled as having “mental illness” and a “personality disorder.” These are precisely the words typically heard in a person who is being “treated” with mind-altering psychiatric drugs.

One of the most common side effects of psychiatric drugs is violent outbursts and thoughts of suicide.
School Shooter Adam Lanza Likely on Meds; Labeled as Having

I blame Star Wars Episode III. Close to the end of that movie, Anikin walked into the Jedi academy and murdered all the aspiring Jedi in there. It was nothing but children no older than 8 years old, and he killed all the teachers as well. Anikins transformation to Darth Vader was complete.

No...

I blame video games, in particular Call of Duty and all the First Person Shooters out there.

No...

I blame the parents.

No...

I blame society.

No...

I blame religion.

No...

I blame the news

No...

I blame guns.

No...

I blame tv.

I mean this list goes on and on. Nobody blames the person who committed the act. It's always someone or something else's fault.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to assign blame, but to address the question of "Why?"

Any discussion that doesn't mention guns (and the ancillary issues such as magazine size, semi-automatic pistols versus revolvers, mental health issues regarding gun ownership, and which guns can and cannot be owned by the general public etc) isn't a serious discussion at all.

Strongly disagree. This thread is about motive not method. There are a gazillion threads out there if method is what you want to discuss. But those of us who can see other dimensions are appreciating a discussion that takes in a broader perspective.

I blame Star Wars Episode III. Close to the end of that movie, Anikin walked into the Jedi academy and murdered all the aspiring Jedi in there. It was nothing but children no older than 8 years old, and he killed all the teachers as well. Anikins transformation to Darth Vader was complete.

No...

I blame video games, in particular Call of Duty and all the First Person Shooters out there.

No...

I blame the parents.

No...

I blame society.

No...

I blame religion.

No...

I blame the news

No...

I blame guns.

No...

I blame tv.

I mean this list goes on and on. Nobody blames the person who committed the act. It's always someone or something else's fault.
You think it's this simple eh, just blame the individual and be done with it, and don't go after what made him tick or find out what went wrong with his programing or the short circuiting of that programing over the years ? Sad.

What went wrong was in his brain. Not on the tv not in newspapers not in a game.

What many are inclined to do is restrict what they consider the triggers FOR ALL rather than seek to help individuals with mental issues.

A fair point, but how would we accomplish such a daunting task? Identifying these people, and then convincing them to get help?

Violence in society was not just invented with the TV, radio, video games, newspapers, media in communications or computers.
We see that the history of humans is one of violence , murder, oppression and hate.
But what adds fuel to the fire is a society which demands access to guns and weapons in mass.

In this thread we are looking for answers to the "why" and not the "how". You want to make rediculous points about gun control there are a ton of other threads on the subject. Take that rediculous crap there.

You want to speculate why. You have no analytical abilities on this forum to truly deterime why someone went on a killing rampage since you do not know the true motive and why people need to murder en mass.
You only want to again blame the media and certain sections of society, and ignore the fact that some humans kill. I did notice you left out demons, the Devil, mental illness, God or the simple act of the desire to kill.

You are free to not post here, or did you not know that?

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

It’s not 3, 4, 5, or 8.

‘Society in general’ is vague, but it is our culture’s acceptance of violence as a legitimate means of conflict resolution which contributes.

The media do play a role, but not likely as you intended; with the 24/7 news cycle, internet, and wireless communications, we hear about more bad news sooner – this creates the perception that things have ‘gotten worse,’ when in reality violence in our society as always been a constant.

The mishandling of the mentally ill, along with our mental health policies Nationwide, is likely the largest contributor – our inability to identify and treat forms of mental illness before someone feels compelled to respond to his mental illness in a violent manner must be resolved.

It will not be cheap or easy to address the issue of mental illness, but it is our only feasible solution at hand with regard to reducing gun violence.

Thanks for contributing your opinion.

Let's address the REAL issue.

woman-screaming-2.jpg

Strongly disagree. This thread is about motive not method. There are a gazillion threads out there if method is what you want to discuss. But those of us who can see other dimensions are appreciating a discussion that takes in a broader perspective.

Regardless of motive, people cannot be killed en masse at a distance without easy access to firearms.

And since we're not going to be able to do away with hate, resentment, anger, etc, dealing with method IS relevant.

Possible reasons:

4. Drugging kids.
5. Drugging adults.
6. The media.
8. Disenfranchizement.

Guns are a means, not a cause. There are dozens of threads on gun control already. you want to talk that nonsense, go there.

In mass shootings involving guns and mind-altering medications, politicians immediately seek to blame guns but never the medication.

Nearly every mass shooting that has taken place in America over the last two decades has a link to psychiatric medication, and it appears today’s tragic event is headed in the same direction.

According to ABC News, Adam Lanza, the alleged shooter, has been labeled as having “mental illness” and a “personality disorder.” These are precisely the words typically heard in a person who is being “treated” with mind-altering psychiatric drugs.

One of the most common side effects of psychiatric drugs is violent outbursts and thoughts of suicide.

They seem to be a possible cause. That said, why did he choose that school and those kids and do it in such a gruesome manner. I think drugs were part of it, not the sole cause.

Feel free to not post here.

I keep hearing that he had mental issues, wonder how he had access to guns..

Forum List

Back