Let us say Marriage is Re-Defined. How does it affect you personally?

DGS49
The "doesn't affect me personally" argument is specious. It doesn't affect me personally if my neighbor takes his newborn baby boy down to the creek and drowns him, does it? Doesn't affect me personally if Iran nukes Jerusalem. Doesn't affect me personally if they legalize every chemical that some idiot wants to shove down his mouth or inject into his body.

It wouldn't affect me personally if every Scientologist in the world drank poison Kool-Aid and died.
Well Holy Moley Whack-a-doodle-doo -- welcome -- We've been waiting for you!

Big government nannie types like you are species of a type studied throughout the ages.

Lumping together what people do to themselves personally with what harm people do to others makes any supposed specious argument look downright brilliantly genius.

The "doesn't affect me personally" argument is
The "doesn't affect me personally" argument is specious. It doesn't affect me personally if my neighbor takes his newborn baby boy down to the creek and drowns him, does it? Doesn't affect me personally if Iran nukes Jerusalem. Doesn't affect me personally if they legalize every chemical that some idiot wants to shove down his mouth or inject into his body.

It wouldn't affect me personally if every Scientologist in the world drank poison Kool-Aid and died.

But MARRIAGE is an institution that has a tremendous impact on the society at large. Any gross change in policy must be considered not only for how it affects a small group of individuals, but for the impact on the overall society.

Marriage is an both a civil institution recognized by the society at large and a religious institution recognized by those in particular sects. A gross change? Same sex partners have been taking/exchanging marriage vows in both civil and religious ceremonies (5 decades at least). When getting married in religious ceremonies it is NONE of your business or mine. It's a religious thing. The state (civil society) is NOT required to recognize religious vows. What impact does another's religious marriage have on you or society?

In the 1960's as part of the "War on Poverty," the Federal government implemented a policy that, with great and wise compassion, provided significantly higher poverty stipends to households where there was no husband/father present. And the result was a significant DIS-incentive to marriage, and resulted in a pandemic of bastardy that goes on unaffected, decades after this program was repealed (AFDC).

Not true. Opinion is not fact

No-fault divorce was a logical, non-controversial measure that made it EASIER to get a divorce. Resulted in millions of broken homes that may have survived if it had been a little more difficult to get divorced. Nobody knows.

Not true. Opinion is not fact.

"Gay marriage" promotes the idea that marriage is just a fairly routine, generally impotent contract. Bill and George get married, three years later they hook with other people, who gives a shit? It's only a contract, right? People breach them and terminate them all the time.

Not true. Opinion is not fact

As a matter of public policy, the States need to be promoting marriage as a serious institution that promotes the "general welfare" of the society.

Would not the general welfare include ALL of society, or just a majority comprised of religious bigots with specious and seriously demented arguments?

And footnotally speaking, the pity of the current debate is that Progressives have taken Marriage out of the hands of the elected representatives of the people (the State Legislatures), and turned it over to bastards in black robes, appointed for life, who have about as much in common with ordinary people as...Hillary Clinton.

Not true. Opinion is not fact and a debate does NOT take anything away from anybody. You're totally confused. And Hillary Clinton? Attacking her is NOT an argument against acceptance of same sex marriage as a matter of law or public policy

We are fucked...but what's new?

You are most assuredly fu()ked, but I suspect the causes go far back into your upbringing and childhood

For the purposes of argument let us agree marriage is defined strictly as a contract between between a man and a woman. It gets redefined to include unions between men and men and between women and women: same sex marriages.

You're heterosexual and married or not married. How does marriage of gays affect you?

You're homosexual and married or not married. How does marriage of gays affect you?

“War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.”

You figure it out.

Let's redefine Citizenship, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Male and Female, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Right and Wrong, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Religion, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Property Rights, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Free Speech, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Human, how does that affect you personally?

martybegan to lose it long, long ago...

For the purposes of argument let us agree marriage is defined strictly as a contract between between a man and a woman. It gets redefined to include unions between men and men and between women and women: same sex marriages.

You're heterosexual and married or not married. How does marriage of gays affect you?

You're homosexual and married or not married. How does marriage of gays affect you?

If it is done via legislative action at the State level, then it doesn't affect me at all.

If it is done by creative judicial fiat, then the marriage still doesn't affect me, but the idea that a court can create an enumerated right without actually amending the constitution affects me greatly. That means the court can just as easily get rid of a right, or create one that makes one group more equal than another group.

The issue to me isn't the result, its the means and methods.

Rights cannot be abridged at the state level if they are protected at the federal level. The reason bigoted states rights folks couldn't keep the race mixers from marrying was that marriage is recognized to be a state issue, but NOT when it violates federally protected rights. All you'd have to do is read the US Constitution to know this.

The court creating an un-enumerated right? :rofl:

In your usually disingenuous way you appear to have principled issues with a perception of the Court creating rights NOT enumerated, yet you have no problem with the Courts having ruled the state guarantees and has an interest in protecting marriage as a civil institution.

The courts are NOT being asked to create a right, they are being asked to protect a right.

This statement of yours: "That means the court can just as easily get rid of a right, or create one that makes one group more equal than another group." is based totally on false premises

You figure it out.
you left out your motto:

Ignorance is intelligence

Let's redefine Citizenship, how does that affect you personally?

1) Let's redefine Male and Female, how does that affect you personally?

2) Let's redefine Right and Wrong, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Religion, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Property Rights, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Free Speech, how does that affect you personally?

Let's redefine Human, how does that affect you personally?

1) redefining citizenship would affect everyone personally D'Oh!!!!!

2) see #1

3) nonsensical

and on, and on, and on...

If it is done via legislative action at the State level, then it doesn't affect me at all.

If it is done by creative judicial fiat, then the marriage still doesn't affect me, but the idea that a court can create an enumerated right without actually amending the constitution affects me greatly. That means the court can just as easily get rid of a right, or create one that makes one group more equal than another group.

The issue to me isn't the result, its the means and methods.
Thats not the implication of what the court would be doing.

Theyd be using interpretation of EXISTING law to determine if bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional.

That *is* their job.

You figure it out.
you left out your motto:

Well I'm not a liberal/Democrat, so I already know that and the others I listed aren't true. Keep on believing what is politically correct Dainty, Big Brother is Watching.

You figure it out.
you left out your motto:

:cuckoo: jc456 :cuckoo:

Well I'm not a liberal/Democrat, so I already know that and the others I listed aren't true. Keep on believing what is politically correct Dainty, Big Brother is Watching.

Now it's politically correct to disagree with wingnut nation

:cuckoo: kwc57 :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back