Let Nader Debate!

G

gwenmand

I want to let you know about an important new campaign to get Ralph Nader into the presidential debates. (see www.letnaderdebate.org). Your support for this effort is important even if you do not intend to vote for him.

We are at a critical juncture in our country's history. I believe that we are facing a crisis in democracy where increasingly the views of ordinary Americans are not only not reflected in public policy but are barely even heard through "normal" channels. I am personally very concerned about the dangerously narrow perimeters of "debate" on every issue facing us from the war in Iraq to education and healthcare to same day voter registration.

From Lincoln-Douglas to Kennedy-Nixon to Clinton-Bush-Perot, the presidential debates have been an important forum for a national dialogue on the critical issues of our day. I would love to hear serious, perhaps sometimes contentious rather than scripted debate about our national priorities. Nader's inclusion would help to ensure that we have that kind of debate in 2004.

Personally, I am motivated by the issue of the War in Iraq. Polls show that the majority of Americans are critical of the conduct of the war, yet there is virtually no difference in the positions of President Bush and Senator Kerry a point that has been made by many commentators at this point.

In a political culture where partisan interests and corruption have become so dominant, it is important that we, as ordinary citizens, take responsibility and speak out. Please join me in an appeal to a fair and open debate by including Nader, a nationally known and respected independent presidential candidate. Without his inclusion, there will be no real dialogue.

To sign the open letter to President Bush, go to http://LetNaderDebate.org.
You can also join me by giving a donation to this grassroots effort, and by emailing your friends and contacts about it to get the word out.

Thanks!
Gwen

I'll support Ralph being in the debates if he'll drop out of the Presidential race.

For you to say there is "virtually no difference" in Kerry's and Bush's opinion on the war is simply a crock. Kerry supported the war originally because he assumed, like many others, that the intelligence cited by President Bush was legitimate. Clearly it wasn't. Kerry's plan for ending the war in Iraq is very different from President Bush's plan. Kerry understands that we just can't pull all our troops out now. Like it or not, we went in, toppled Saddam, and have set up a new government which we still have to provide security for. Nader constantly harps on his idea that there isn't much difference between Republicans and Democrats. I would ask you and him to simply look at the policies of the last two administrations. The differences are stark.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
I'll support Ralph being in the debates if he'll drop out of the Presidential race.

Spoken like a true defender of American civil liberties.

Hey, I would be all for ".....and a TREE in every garage!"......

:laugh:

Originally posted by NewGuy
Hey, I would be all for ".....and a TREE in every garage!"......

:laugh:

LOL! Enough of lame half-measures like the Kyoto treaty. Death to industry NOW!

For you to say there is "virtually no difference" in Kerry's and Bush's opinion on the war is simply a crock. Kerry supported the war originally because he assumed, like many others, that the intelligence cited by President Bush was legitimate. Clearly it wasn't.
It wasn't clear at the time. I'm tired of hearing how he decided to go to war anyway knowing that it was wrong. There is absolutely no proof that it happened that way. Everyone said Saddam had WMD since 1998 (I'm not sure that he didn't).

Originally posted by acludem
Kerry supported the war originally because he assumed, like many others, that the intelligence cited by President Bush was legitimate. Clearly it wasn't.

Kerry has not said that he would do anything any different than Bush. If so, outline it. Don't just state it.

As for the above statement, since Bush is NOT a CIA analyst, the intelligence was not cited by Bush. It was cited by the CIA and taken into consideration by Bush, Kerry, et. al. They were all duped. If Kerry is so much more intelligent than Bush, why did he not discover that the info cited by the CIA was incorrect? He was given ALL THE SAME information that Bush was provided.

DOH!

I'd support Nader debating because, contrary to what Nader says, his candidacy is sure to dilute the D vote more than the R vote. Which is fine by me.

Of course it's irrelevant because he won't be debating with them.

Why should he be allowed to debate. If we let everyone who wanted to debate in the debate, then we would have utter chaos.

If Nader cant get marginal support for himself then why should he take any time from the real choices? Not that Kerry is much of a choice himself.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Why should he be allowed to debate. If we let everyone who wanted to debate in the debate, then we would have utter chaos.

If Nader cant get marginal support for himself then why should he take any time from the real choices? Not that Kerry is much of a choice himself.

Because our country is in trouble, and these 2 parties have taken us there.

In the debate between Nader and Dean, Dean said when the house is on fire, it's not the time to fix the furniture. True enough. But if your house has been on fire for a generation, it's time to build a new house. Nader offers us an opportunity to break out of the same old box and address the issue of the corruption of our democracy - a core issue if we're going to address anything. It's not an issue of left, center or right. It's an issue that the American people are being left out while our leaders take us down a deadly road.

While I agree that both parties bend the people over without any remorse at all Nader's vision and route to fixing it is to say the least, KOOKY! He's a wingnut!

But regardless I love that he's running because it adds up to sure victory for Bush.

With all that said let him debate so the masses can see what a fruitcake he really is.

New Topics

Forum List

Back