Let My Illegal Nanny Drive My SUV!!!!

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
The ad that ran in Daily Veriety last week--signed by the usual members of the "entertainment comunity," including Ed Asner, Danny Glover, and Mike Farrell--asked Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to sing Bill 60, a bill to allow illegal immigrants to obtain California driver's licenses.

Not that the ad ever used the word "illegal." Instead, it used Hollywood award speak to tell the story of Rosanna Perez, "Nominated Best Nanny in a Supporting Role," who, because of California law, has to take the bus from her home in East Los Angeles to ehr job in the Westside.

They should have dubbed the ad: Let my illegal nanny drive my SUV.

"We give them access to our homes. we trust them with our children. It seems absurd to me not to grant them the respect they deserve," Farrell explained to Copley News Service.

Whats this "we" business? Most people don't hire nannies. Only rich people can afford nannies; they can hire legal nannies.

Farrell was parroting the familiar argument: that everyone benefits from illegal immigration--through cheaper food prices at the grocery store or the fast-food joint--so the laws shouldn't penalize illegal immigrants. But the logic doesn't. It also is true that everyone pays for illegal immigration--for illegal immigrant's children to attend public schools or for emergency medical care--and so this notion of a free ride is false. Then, there is the paycheck problem: Some of the people who are paying more are less skilled Americans who have smaller paychecks becasue they must compete with cheap illegal labor.

So when the "entertainment community" asks for driver's licenses for illegal immigrants, it plays the leading role of Hollywood Diva expecting stagehands and walk-ons to chip in and pay for her illegal help.

Le me stipulate: I feel for people who, like Perez, want a better life for themselves and their families and come to improve themselves--even if they break the law. But I respect those who immigrate here legally. They show respect for the process.......more

www.townhall.com/columnists/debrasaunders/printds20050203.shtml

Yes just one more example of how Holywood elites are all for the "regular" guy................ :blah2:

While I applaud any efforts to expose Hollywood NeoLibs for what they are, the issue of illegal immigrants is very complex. It can not be easily answered with the simplistic idea of "sending them all back." Besides being an incredibly expensive proposition to deport 20 million, the economic disruption of eliminating this "black economy" could be very severe. Illegals are indirectly and directly paying taxes through the taxes on the revenues of their employers and the sales taxes they pay on purchases. They do contribute to the economy with their internal purchases as well.

Deornwulf said:
While I applaud any efforts to expose Hollywood NeoLibs for what they are, the issue of illegal immigrants is very complex. It can not be easily answered with the simplistic idea of "sending them all back." Besides being an incredibly expensive proposition to deport 20 million, the economic disruption of eliminating this "black economy" could be very severe. Illegals are indirectly and directly paying taxes through the taxes on the revenues of their employers and the sales taxes they pay on purchases. They do contribute to the economy with their internal purchases as well.

To an extent, but I think the author was trying to show the Hypocrisy and opportunistic values of the Left in Hollywood. Surely they have the money to hire legal immigrants who have paid their dues to live and work here.
This idea of giving illegal immigrants drivers licenses is crazy, especially when a large majority in CA and the country do not think it's a wise idea and are opposed to it.

I agree. This whole idea of granting rights to people here illegally just because they may or may not benefit this country economically is absurd.

The law exists to avoid chaos, or rather, to bring order to chaos (famous dead guy said it). By allowing these wealthy few to hire illegals, you are directly hurting the economy by eliminating the wages of those that were either born here, or have strived to be here under the law.

I truly never have understood how someone could hire an illegal nanny. Where my dad lives in LA, there are numerous nannies. This neighbor, that neighbor, they have them. I can not imagine those people hiring someone who does not have the most impecible references/credentials/whatnot. I mean, this is your kid that they walk during the day.

This article is stunning in its lack of thought. I mean, this guy believes that because some rich person allows a person who is currently breaking the law, to clean their house and what not, should have a driver's license to further this illegal behavior because the bus is not good enough!? So what if somebody lets them in their house, I don't. No body I know does.

This premise is a very slippery slope. Although I am sure libs are equipped with a "liberal" amount of clamp ons.

I agree with bits and pieces of the previous posts. I'm well aware that prior to 1930's there wasn't much immigration restriction in the US. I agree that this is and should remain a country of immigrants, as long as the policy is supportable, which is quite a bit into the future.

However, there are and have been good reasons to put in place laws, we are a nation of laws, that specify the parameters of entering the US. They weren't always here, but are now and have been for some time. My problem with the administration, (shock), is they fail to acknowledge that we have just cause and concerns regarding our borders, especially to the south.

To purport the idea that we should allow 'those that want to make money at jobs that US citizens will not take' and give them some sort of work permit, pretending that terrorists cannot assume this ruse is a ruse in itself.

Bonnie said:
Le me stipulate: I feel for people who, like Perez, want a better life for themselves and their families and come to improve themselves--even if they break the law. But I respect those who immigrate here legally. They show respect for the process.......more

www.townhall.com/columnists/debrasaunders/printds20050203.shtml

Yes just one more example of how Holywood elites are all for the "regular" guy................ :blah2:
i dotn feel sorry for any of them fuckers. least of all the "holywood elites". so you ahve to ride a bus, get the fuck over it. its got to be alot better than the cattle truck you road in here on.
all that crap is, is a way for them to get cheap labor. and the govenator needs to terminate gray davis for ever even thinking that little scam up to save his sorry little ass.

Kathianne said:
I agree with bits and pieces of the previous posts. I'm well aware that prior to 1930's there wasn't much immigration restriction in the US. I agree that this is and should remain a country of immigrants, as long as the policy is supportable, which is quite a bit into the future.

However, there are and have been good reasons to put in place laws, we are a nation of laws, that specify the parameters of entering the US. They weren't always here, but are now and have been for some time. My problem with the administration, (shock), is they fail to acknowledge that we have just cause and concerns regarding our borders, especially to the south.

To purport the idea that we should allow 'those that want to make money at jobs that US citizens will not take' and give them some sort of work permit, pretending that terrorists cannot assume this ruse is a ruse in itself.

so when all of mexico is over here in the US, what then? we all go to mexico and clean it up and live there, so then, after then get done screwing the US up they can come on home to a clean country? they need to cap this crap. we only have so much space too. put a cap on it, so everyone over the cap gets deported back to where ever.

dilloduck said:
If you are found to have an illegal nanny is your oscar nomination revoked ? :teeth:

well, employing someone who is not legal to work here is a crime...but i don't think an oscar nomination can be revoked for that.

hell, Kennedy killed someone, and he's a senator, and he didn't even serve time for it (at least not that i know of)...

fuzzykitten99 said:
well, employing someone who is not legal to work here is a crime...but i don't think an oscar nomination can be revoked for that.

hell, Kennedy killed someone, and he's a senator, and he didn't even serve time for it (at least not that i know of)...
money talk bullshit walks

ScreamingEagle said:
Hey, if the nanny can vote without ID, why can't she drive without ID too? :wtf:
well unless they started producing vehicles that make it mandatory for you to insert an ID or DL, they go right ahead

Johnney said:
well unless they started producing vehicles that make it mandatory for you to insert an ID or DL, they go right ahead

Yeah I know, that was a rhetorical question. Makes me sick - it's easier for illegals to vote than it is to legally drive a car.

Bonnie said:

This is the same mechanism which causes most hollyweird diletantes to oppose the WOT. They are so self-involved that they don't give a hoot about the law or what is best for the country. They view everything through the filter of how it affects them. Anything that may have an adverse impact or a restrictive influence on their lifestyles is automatically bad and needs to be changed - no matter that these changes may have undesirable consequences for the rest of us. So they want driver's licenses for illegal nannies because they don't want to be inconvenienced by having to drive these people around. Never mind that a driver's license is step 1 to getting welfare and eventually voting rights to illegals.

Forum List

Back