Let me tell you about my Windows 10 pain today....

There are even less expensive ways than that. Keep Win 10, download and install Classic Shell to replace Win 10's Start Menu, download an app that will uninstall most of Win 10's bloatware, download and install firewall blocks to stop Microsoft's telemetry (spying), disable Edge and Cortana, yes disabling Cortana is possible.
For the most part my Win 10 looks and feels like Win 7.
Oh and you can also download and install the old Windows games but not from the Windows store.
You only need Startisback and Ultimate Windows Tweaker.
Startisback costs money (your free version links never worked) and I didn't like Ultimate Windows Tweaker (but don't remember why).
They worked but you refused to disable adblock which makes the page workupload telling you you need to disable it. That´s all.
I disabled it, the problem was it still only gave me a trial period before having to pay.
If you downloaded the version for Windows 8 you need to run the reg file which places the license into the registry. The Windows 10 version does that automatically. During the installation, it will always say it is a 30 day trial due to the way the license is distributed.

8klyg8xa.jpg
That's okay, I'm perfectly happy using Classic Shell for now. :thup:

Startisback costs money (your free version links never worked) and I didn't like Ultimate Windows Tweaker (but don't remember why).
They worked but you refused to disable adblock which makes the page workupload telling you you need to disable it. That´s all.
I disabled it, the problem was it still only gave me a trial period before having to pay.
If you downloaded the version for Windows 8 you need to run the reg file which places the license into the registry. The Windows 10 version does that automatically. During the installation, it will always say it is a 30 day trial due to the way the license is distributed.

8klyg8xa.jpg
I heard it has improved. Originally, it was an old tool for XP that accidentally worked for Win8. Then MS banned it and they finally moved their asses to make a real one. But there was already the better Startisback.

8klyg8xa.jpg
I heard it has improved. Originally, it was an old tool for XP that accidentally worked for Win8. Then MS banned it and they finally moved their asses to make a real one. But there was already the better Startisback.
More power to em, don't care one way or the other. :dunno:

Ubuntu 10.10 was released October 2010, that's what the numbers mean. I think I started with 11.04. Lots of improvements have been made and you can always install drivers afterwards, you just spend a few minutes looking it up.

I have no invested interest in what you do but if you speak nonsense I may comment on it.
It was the newest version when I tested it. However, I couldn´t go online as the Internet sticks I had didn´t work. I decided to uninstall it after some hours.
I have no idea how to uninstall a disto, never saw the option. I just delete the partition or install another one in the same spot. But it's like basing opinions about Windows 10 on Windows Vista.
It was fdisk /mbr back then.
Since I started you could boot up a distro disk and use a disk manager to format, delete, edit, resize, rename, etc.
I do. I use Parted Magic.
However, the mentioned command removes everything from the boot sector and replaces it with the MS-DOS standard MBR. Effectively, after that, only XP will launch. No problem to handle the Linux partitions in XP.
I have XP on a separate computer, with 3 Linux distros. I launch XP from grub. But at least then, don't know about now, you needed some software to read/write linux partitions from Windows and it could only do so partially.
How to read ext4 partitions in Windows?

You'd be better off the other way around. I have been able to read/write to any Windows and OSX partitions.

It was the newest version when I tested it. However, I couldn´t go online as the Internet sticks I had didn´t work. I decided to uninstall it after some hours.
I have no idea how to uninstall a disto, never saw the option. I just delete the partition or install another one in the same spot. But it's like basing opinions about Windows 10 on Windows Vista.
It was fdisk /mbr back then.
Since I started you could boot up a distro disk and use a disk manager to format, delete, edit, resize, rename, etc.
I do. I use Parted Magic.
However, the mentioned command removes everything from the boot sector and replaces it with the MS-DOS standard MBR. Effectively, after that, only XP will launch. No problem to handle the Linux partitions in XP.
I have XP on a separate computer, with 3 Linux distros. I launch XP from grub. But at least then, don't know about now, you needed some software to read/write linux partitions from Windows and it could only do so partially.
How to read ext4 partitions in Windows?

You'd be better off the other way around. I have been able to read/write to any Windows and OSX partitions.
XP can´t read them but it can delete them...

There are even less expensive ways than that. Keep Win 10, download and install Classic Shell to replace Win 10's Start Menu, download an app that will uninstall most of Win 10's bloatware, download and install firewall blocks to stop Microsoft's telemetry (spying), disable Edge and Cortana, yes disabling Cortana is possible.
Oh and you can also download and install the old Windows games but not from the Windows store.

8klyg8xa.jpg
I downloaded Windows 10 for free because somebody told me it was so "modern" and "cool".
Far better than Windows 7.
I was fooled! :biggrin:
Can you wipe it out and install 7?
I asked my technician and he said it could be possible but expensive :(
Maybe I should ask another one :dunno:
Yep. Find another techie. If you have the install disk you could always buy a new hard drive, solid state if you want some serious speed. Unplug what you have now and install 7 on the new drive. There's no risk and it would be a lot cheaper to do.
Thanks for your advice Iceweasel :udaman:
:)
Thanks Ringel05! :bye1:

So..it's been awhile...still having problems..

1) open office inexplicably will not open...no response..only fix is to reboot...happens 3-4 times a week.
2) Loses connection to USB printer multiple times a week.
3) One I cannot figure out, makes no sense...it refuses to save the homepage to Google. After reboot - changes back to bing. I have never seen this.

And then another CSR's computer bombed out...OMG...I refuse to do this again. So Monday I took an old PC and installed Mint 17. She uses a browser for everything and uses word/spreadsheets so Open Office will work fine.
Been two days and not one word from her other than "I like it".

F*ck M$

1) open office inexplicably will not open...no response..only fix is to reboot...happens 3-4 times a week.
3) One I cannot figure out, makes no sense...it refuses to save the homepage to Google. After reboot - changes back to bing. I have never seen this.

And then another CSR's computer bombed out...OMG...I refuse to do this again. So Monday I took an old PC and installed Mint 17. She uses a browser for everything and uses word/spreadsheets so Open Office will work fine.

F*ck M$
Install Windows 7 or 8 then. In case of need I have installed WPS office 2015 (fixed). Modern look and opens instantly.

...at the office at some point we had a power outage and one of the office PC's decided it didn't want to work anymore...nothing...mother board doesn't even post...
So I ran out and bought a new PC...grudgingly knowing it would be Win 10...the first one in the building.

Powered up...set up her credentials...wait...no internet...what the...it sees the network...but no WAN or LAN.
So I run the useless troubleshooting as admin..."missing or corrupt IP protocol settings"...excuse me, but you do know that the "P" in "I.P." stands for protocol?? Your saying the internet protocol protocol settings is missing...gee that tells me a lot!! ... not...so I spend at least 30 minutes browsing forums...looking at Microsoft forums...tried everything...nothing. But wait...I find this one guy that said this happened to him and like me the cable is connected fine...all he did was pull out the ethernet cable WHILE THE COMPUTER IS OFF...and restart...and plug it up after it is back up....I did it...yep...works. WTF???
Now the printer...won't work. It is a HP Officejet 6600...only maybe 2 years old max...it installs the printer, in the devices it says working...shows up in the available printers...but neither firefox or IE sees it....what the...so again I am perusing forums...looking at HP troubleshooting...trying 1000 things...nothing.
AUUUUUUGH!!!!!!....but wait...found one guy who had the same problem...come to find out some composite USB devices just flat out don't work with Windows 10...it is supposed to...some devices work on some Win 10 computers, but strangely will not work on others.
Hilariously as it is...if I take the same printer...hook it up to a Win 7 box, share it...I can print to it. Oh the Irony.
So...now Office...enter credentials..."there is a problem with your account"...WTF does that mean? I call Microsoft # on the multi license tag..."hmm everything looks fine:..they give me a different number that should work...nope...so f*ck it...I installed Open office.
Installing Acrobat Reader because the joke PDF reader that comes with Windows has zero features...wait...what??? I have to enter a Microsoft ID to install this??? Fuuuu....ok fine...set this all up...installed...what do I have to reboot for??/...wait...what the...it changed the user credentials I set up to the long ass email I set the Microsoft account user as...now...I don't want that!!!!!

FML... M$ sucks!!!!!!!
Everyone knows this is due to Russian hackers.

F*ck M$
Install Windows 7 or 8 then. In case of need I have installed WPS office 2015 (fixed). Modern look and opens instantly.

Don't have a copy. And Mint is working very well...even fully operational with the HP Laserjet 8610 all-in-one that Windows 10 cannot work with, even though it is only a 1.5 year old printer!

F*ck M$

Don't have a copy. And Mint is working very well...even fully operational with the HP Laserjet 8610 all-in-one that Windows 10 cannot work with, even though it is only a 1.5 year old printer!
Have you tried Mint 18? It's a LTS version. I have it on a desktop and am on Mint 18 XFCE on an old laptop now.

F*ck M$

Have you tried Mint 18? It's a LTS version. I have it on a desktop and am on Mint 18 XFCE on an old laptop now.

I haven't...I wanted to stay with 17 to avoid any possible bugs since it is a daily use biz computer.

F*ck M$

I haven't...I wanted to stay with 17 to avoid any possible bugs since it is a daily use biz computer.
Makes sense. Seems pretty solid, no hicups on my end. I was using Kubuntu for the last year but bought a cheap drawing tablet, Huion and KDE has no pressure sensitivity at this point. Mint 18 does, plus it draws noticeably smoother.

Forum List

Back