Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister

CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

Taro Aso, the finance minister, said on Monday that the elderly should be allowed to "hurry up and die" to relieve pressure on the state to pay for their medical care.

"Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die. I would wake up feeling increasingly bad knowing that [treatment] was all being paid for by the government," he said during a meeting of the national council on social security reforms. "The problem won't be solved unless you let them hurry up and die."

"I see people aged 67 or 68 at class reunions who dodder around and are constantly going to the doctor," he said at a meeting of economists. "Why should I have to pay for people who just eat and drink and make no effort? I walk every day and do other things, but I'm paying more in taxes."

Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

"Hurry up and die" you "tube people" and those who "dodder around", the government can't afford to pay for you anymore! I've seen people point to Japan's HC system as an example for ours. Yet they have had to double taxes to pay for the elderly and are now hoping they hurry up and die because the old are a drain on the system. :eusa_hand:

obamacare will be no different.....

Steve Rattner, Obama administration:

"WE need death panels.
Well, maybe not death panels, exactly, but unless we start allocating health care resources more prudently — rationing, by its proper name — the exploding cost of Medicare will swamp the federal budget."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/opinion/health-care-reform-beyond-obamacare.html?_r=0

Obama has assembled the most intelligent, the most talented group of people in history to decide who deseves to live and who deserves to die.

Thus far its just the unborn and the old, soon it will be political adversaries and eventually they will start on those 700 FBI files found in the basement of the WH....

CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

"Hurry up and die" you "tube people" and those who "dodder around", the government can't afford to pay for you anymore! I've seen people point to Japan's HC system as an example for ours. Yet they have had to double taxes to pay for the elderly and are now hoping they hurry up and die because the old are a drain on the system. :eusa_hand:

"WE need death panels.
Well, maybe not death panels, exactly, but unless we start allocating health care resources more prudently — rationing, by its proper name — the exploding cost of Medicare will swamp the federal budget."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/opinion/health-care-reform-beyond-obamacare.html?_r=0

Republicans on this site will read a post like this and scream "liar", even though they can't point out the lie. They want both sides of everything. They scream death panels, yet feel victims of disasters should have to pay to be rescued. They say fighting abortion is "Godly", yet scream out "let him die" and "feed the poor and they will breed". They say the love babies but want to cut school lunch for poor children.

Well, they can't have both side. One of those sides is a lie. From their policies, it's very clear which side that is.

Republicans are so rigid in their ideology,

you are right Dean,especially the Far Right.....
and so are a hell of a lot of Far Left Democrats....including you......

Some Democrats are fringe. The very highest number is probably less than 10%.

Fully half of Republicans are crazy right wing nut bags. .

Did you have fun pulling those 'figures' out of your ass, lefty? Did you shove them back up and pull them back out over and over before using them to make a fool of yourself here?

CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

Taro Aso, the finance minister, said on Monday that the elderly should be allowed to "hurry up and die" to relieve pressure on the state to pay for their medical care.

"Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die. I would wake up feeling increasingly bad knowing that [treatment] was all being paid for by the government," he said during a meeting of the national council on social security reforms. "The problem won't be solved unless you let them hurry up and die."

Rising welfare costs, particularly for the elderly, were behind a decision last year to double consumption [sales] tax to 10% over the next three years, a move Aso's Liberal Democratic party supported.

To compound the insult, he referred to elderly patients who are no longer able to feed themselves as "tube people". The health and welfare ministry, he added, was "well aware that it costs several tens of millions of yen" a month to treat a single patient in the final stages of life.

"I see people aged 67 or 68 at class reunions who dodder around and are constantly going to the doctor," he said at a meeting of economists. "Why should I have to pay for people who just eat and drink and make no effort? I walk every day and do other things, but I'm paying more in taxes."

That is so un Japanese. I imagine the Japanese people are ashamed of him. The Japanese students that come here are shocked when they visit our nursing homes. They keep their elderly at home with them. And 67 or 68? Japanese live a lot longer than that. Every Japanese person I have ever met and I've met hundreds, have revered their elderly. Going to have to ask Tachi what he thinks about this when he's here next month.

Go play in the sand box junior.

Obama to Jane Sturm: Hey, take a pill - YouTube

Sorry, that's bullshit and you know it. It's Republicans who want death panels. See "Jan Brewer" and her state death panels. Watch Republicans yell out "let him die" during presidential debates. Republicans hoarding assault weapons hoping they can one day feel free to shoot other Americans.

The GOP owns this one. NOT Obama.

At a hundred and five? Yea, surgery at a hundred and five is a "good idea". It tends to extend people's lives another 10 years, at least. Maybe 20.

What is it with these Republicans? They don't want anyone to have health care, but they fight to get a women who's a hundred and five "surgery"???? Really?????

She had the surgery when she was 100, she was 105 when her daughter was telling the story, and still alive and full of life apparently. Do you think she should have been denied those 5 years due to cost?

Obama has assembled the most intelligent, the most talented group of people in history to decide who deseves to live and who deserves to die.

Thus far its just the unborn and the old, soon it will be political adversaries and eventually they will start on those 700 FBI files found in the basement of the WH....

"WE need death panels.

I'm worried about my Autistic son. What value is he to society? He can't talk, can't take care of himself. Oh he can do some work, with supervision, and he really likes to work, but what value is he to society, really? This all smells of the Nazis to me. I can't believe we haven't gotten any farther but are actually going backward as a society.

So bad people like you and Dean get to choose whether they live or die?

The Left has no use for the unborn or the old....so they throw them away.

You go from screaming that it wasn't true to saying that its ok to let them die.
You aren't very bright kid.

Do you guys understand how bad surgery can be on someone who is 105? It would most likely kill them.

I take care of the elderly. I am the one who there for them when they are dying, and have cleaned and prepared probably around 100 people for the funeral home. And I have seen people die a week after surgery. If a lady who had no real health problems before can die from a broken rib at 104, how did you think she is going to survive surgery?
I have seen people receive chemo while dying from dementia. She couldn't remember she had cancer or that she had chemo that day. Why should she go through the pain of chemo? It isn't going to save her. The only reason why she was made to go through that was her doctor wanted more money and because her family had no real understanding what was going on. End of life counseling isn't death panels, it is to make sure people don't through unwanted pain.
I don't want to kill them, I want them to enjoy the life they have left.

"WE need death panels.

I'm worried about my Autistic son. What value is he to society? He can't talk, can't take care of himself. Oh he can do some work, with supervision, and he really likes to work, but what value is he to society, really? This all smells of the Nazis to me. I can't believe we haven't gotten any farther but are actually going backward as a society.

Only because you are seeing something that isn't there. No one isn't coming after your son.

CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

That is so un Japanese. I imagine the Japanese people are ashamed of him.

Like I said, he's well known for shooting his mouth off first and thinking later.

So bad people like you and Dean get to choose whether they live or die?

The Left has no use for the unborn or the old....so they throw them away.

Do you guys understand how bad surgery can be on someone who is 105? It would most likely kill them.

I take care of the elderly. I am the one who there for them when they are dying, and have cleaned and prepared probably around 100 people for the funeral home. And I have seen people die a week after surgery. If a lady who had no real health problems before can die from a broken rib at 104, how did you think she is going to survive surgery?
I have seen people receive chemo while dying from dementia. She couldn't remember she had cancer or that she had chemo that day. Why should she go through the pain of chemo? It isn't going to save her. The only reason why she was made to go through that was her doctor wanted more money and because her family had no real understanding what was going on. End of life counseling isn't death panels, it is to make sure people don't through unwanted pain.
I don't want to kill them, I want them to enjoy the life they have left.

One more time...she had the surgery at 100, her daughter was talking about it when she was 105. She lived at least 5 good years after that surgery, and you want to deny her those 5 years.

I do not think patients with dementia should be given chemo but this lady apparent didn't have dementia. We're not talking about patients with dementia, we're talking about people who are old. 67 or 68 is the age he used. Do you think everyone should just go ahead and die only a year or two after they go on social security so they can save the taxpayer money? Who are we to decide when someone is no longer useful in society? Has anybody read the book "Logan's Run?" You people are sick.

Only because you are seeing something that isn't there. No one isn't coming after your son.

If they go after they elderly simply because they are no longer of any benefit to society, what makes you think they won't go after the sick and disabled next?

CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

That is so un Japanese. I imagine the Japanese people are ashamed of him. The Japanese students that come here are shocked when they visit our nursing homes. They keep their elderly at home with them. And 67 or 68? Japanese live a lot longer than that. Every Japanese person I have ever met and I've met hundreds, have revered their elderly. Going to have to ask Tachi what he thinks about this when he's here next month.

The problem is, with shrinking families, more people marrying later if at all, and longer life-spans, the traditional family structure is becoming untenable for more and more people despite traditional values. Nursing homes (as well as day care centers on the other end of the spectrum) are very much on the rise in Japan and public support for same is a pressing social and economic issue.

CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

My Verizon Email - Verizon News and TV | MyVerizon

CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

http://www.businessweek.com/

"Itoko Uchida, 82, was counting on the nephew she raised to support her in old age. He refused, forcing her to pay for a sponsor to join the 420,000-long queue of Japanese waiting for a nursing home bed.

With no relatives willing to help, the Tokyo widow had to spend 710,000 yen ($7,600) on a professional service to be her guarantor and assist with an application to a nursing home, she said. An erosion of traditional Confucian values in Japan means fewer elderly are being cared for at home by relatives -- a fact neither Uchida nor Japan’s government were fully prepared for.

Japan, with the world’s highest proportion of retirees, can’t build nursing homes fast enough. By 2025, one in three citizens will be 65 years or older from 12 percent of the population in 1990, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development estimates. A lack of long-term care facilities means seniors increasingly risk living alone in ill-equipped homes or suffering abuse in the care of resentful relatives.

“The system is designed for the 1970s, when multiple generations lived together and family caregiving was thought to continue forever,” said Hiroshi Takahashi, a professor of health sciences at the International University of Health and Welfare in Otawara City. “But that’s not the reality now.”

By 2030, the number of seniors living alone, like Uchida, will increase 54 percent to 7.2 million household units from 2010 levels, according to the National Institute of Population and Social Security Research in Tokyo. Elderly-care costs will more than double to 19.8 trillion yen ($212 billion) a year by 2026, the health ministry estimates. That threatens to overload the world’s second-most indebted nation.

Dying Alone

From now through 2030, an estimated 470,000 seniors will die alone in Japan unless more investment is made in caring for them, Takahashi said.

“Society and the system will blow up around 2025 without a drastic change,” he said.

Japan may be a harbinger of a bigger crisis. Confucian- influenced societies from Vietnam to South Korea are grappling with the conflicting demands of modernization and traditions that venerated the elderly and obligated families to care for them, the Center for Strategic International Studies said in a report in July.

‘Massive Age Waves’

“The family is already under increasing stress from the forces of modernization,” the Washington-based center said. “Over the next few decades, massive age waves are due to engulf the region, slowing economic growth, driving up old-age dependency costs, and heaping large new burdens on governments and families alike.”

China has already sought to protect these values, passing a law last year allowing parents to sue children for failing to visit them. In South Korea, the number of suicides among people ages 65 years and older more than tripled in a decade to 4,406 in 2011, according to the latest available data from Statistics Korea. The increase was probably spurred by an economic slowdown and the erosion of traditional family support, the OECD said.

Worldwide, the proportion of people older than 60 years in populations is increasing more than three times faster than the overall growth rate. Within five years, adults 65 years and older will outnumber children younger than 5 for the first time. By 2050, there will be 2 billion people 60 years or older, from 605 million in 2000, the World Health Organization said.

By 2040, almost 40 percent of the population will be at least 60 years old in Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan from 14-to-18 percent of the population in 2010, according to United Nations Population Division. The proportion will be 29 percent in China by 2040, from 12 percent in 2010.

Elderly Abuse

The growing demands of the elderly may be stoking violence toward them. In 2011, 21 seniors in Japan were murdered or died from neglect, and the number of elderly people abused by family members jumped 32 percent to 16,599 from 2005 levels, according to health ministry statistics.

After Uchida’s husband died, her 60-year-old nephew stepped in to assist with her application and sponsor her long-term care. The help stopped when his wife intervened, said Uchida, who is 22nd in line for a bed in a nearby home. "

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

Rising welfare costs, particularly for the elderly, were behind a decision last year to double consumption [sales] tax to 10% over the next three years, a move Aso's Liberal Democratic party supported.

To compound the insult, he referred to elderly patients who are no longer able to feed themselves as "tube people". The health and welfare ministry, he added, was "well aware that it costs several tens of millions of yen" a month to treat a single patient in the final stages of life.

I read recently that the average Japanese person visit's the Doctor 13 times a year!!!

I don't think I've visited a doctor 13 times in the last 50 years.

I read recently that the average Japanese person visit's the Doctor 13 times a year!!!

Consider how many people are very, very old and what that does to the average.

That is a good point.

But Japan is demographically only somewhat older than the USA. But not THAT much older.

Median age comparisons Japan V USA

Japan 44.6 42.9 46.5 2010 est

United States 36.9 35.5 38.1 2011 est

USA stats for medical visits? 4.2 per year

Number of visits (to physician offices, hospital outpatient and emergency departments) per 100 persons: 421.1

Japan was 20 years ahead of us, but we are catching up...

The life expectancy for the average Japanese is five years longer than that for the average American.

Japan's problem is that they aren't replacing people fast enough. Japan's birthrate is actually in decline.

Now, this guy said something that was kind of stupid, and probably sounded stupider in translation. But Japan does face a crisis all the industrialized countries are going to get to eventually - too small of a base of working people supporting too large a base of retired people.

13 times a year is ridiculous. I have multiple medical proglem and I see my doctor on the average of every 6 months. used to be every three month but as my health improved it become less. It doctors did their job they would not have to see their patients so much and would not get paid as much either. Comprende?
I fell a few days ago, went to ER and doctor did not order an xray and i had to return a few days later with fractured ribs. Incompetent doctors drive up healthcare cost.

Forum List

Back