Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

Taro Aso, the finance minister, said on Monday that the elderly should be allowed to "hurry up and die" to relieve pressure on the state to pay for their medical care.

"Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die. I would wake up feeling increasingly bad knowing that [treatment] was all being paid for by the government," he said during a meeting of the national council on social security reforms. "The problem won't be solved unless you let them hurry up and die."

Rising welfare costs, particularly for the elderly, were behind a decision last year to double consumption [sales] tax to 10% over the next three years, a move Aso's Liberal Democratic party supported.

To compound the insult, he referred to elderly patients who are no longer able to feed themselves as "tube people". The health and welfare ministry, he added, was "well aware that it costs several tens of millions of yen" a month to treat a single patient in the final stages of life.

"I see people aged 67 or 68 at class reunions who dodder around and are constantly going to the doctor," he said at a meeting of economists. "Why should I have to pay for people who just eat and drink and make no effort? I walk every day and do other things, but I'm paying more in taxes."

Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

"Hurry up and die" you "tube people" and those who "dodder around", the government can't afford to pay for you anymore! I've seen people point to Japan's HC system as an example for ours. Yet they have had to double taxes to pay for the elderly and are now hoping they hurry up and die because the old are a drain on the system. :eusa_hand:

It sounds just like what the GOP wants for americans.

cspan_grayson_die_quickly_090929a.jpg

That guy's always sticking his foot in his mouth. He's like the Japanese Joe Biden, with less fake smiling.

He later tried to do some damage control by claiming he was really only talking about his own end of life wishes.

CaféAuLait;6712440 said:

Taro Aso, the finance minister, said on Monday that the elderly should be allowed to "hurry up and die" to relieve pressure on the state to pay for their medical care.

"Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die. I would wake up feeling increasingly bad knowing that [treatment] was all being paid for by the government," he said during a meeting of the national council on social security reforms. "The problem won't be solved unless you let them hurry up and die."

Rising welfare costs, particularly for the elderly, were behind a decision last year to double consumption [sales] tax to 10% over the next three years, a move Aso's Liberal Democratic party supported.

To compound the insult, he referred to elderly patients who are no longer able to feed themselves as "tube people". The health and welfare ministry, he added, was "well aware that it costs several tens of millions of yen" a month to treat a single patient in the final stages of life.

"I see people aged 67 or 68 at class reunions who dodder around and are constantly going to the doctor," he said at a meeting of economists. "Why should I have to pay for people who just eat and drink and make no effort? I walk every day and do other things, but I'm paying more in taxes."

Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

"Hurry up and die" you "tube people" and those who "dodder around", the government can't afford to pay for you anymore! I've seen people point to Japan's HC system as an example for ours. Yet they have had to double taxes to pay for the elderly and are now hoping they hurry up and die because the old are a drain on the system. :eusa_hand:

obamacare will be no different.....

Obama intimated the same thing....they ould just give them a pill and make them comfortable instead of life prolonging treatment.

Obama intimated the same thing....they ould just give them a pill and make them comfortable instead of life prolonging treatment.

Sorry, that's bullshit and you know it. It's Republicans who want death panels. See "Jan Brewer" and her state death panels. Watch Republicans yell out "let him die" during presidential debates. Republicans hoarding assault weapons hoping they can one day feel free to shoot other Americans.

The GOP owns this one. NOT Obama.

Go play in the sand box junior.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-dQfb8WQvo]Obama to Jane Sturm: Hey, take a pill - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, that's bullshit and you know it. It's Republicans who want death panels. See "Jan Brewer" and her state death panels. Watch Republicans yell out "let him die" during presidential debates. Republicans hoarding assault weapons hoping they can one day feel free to shoot other Americans.

Unfortunately you're grossly misinformed, regardless, carry on, I like your dream world! How amusing it is for someone who is such a strong advocate for Obamcare disavows ownership.

It's funny how liberals seem to believe that a lie becomes the truth just because a liberal utters it.

He ran away since its right there for him to see.

It's funny how liberals seem to believe that a lie becomes the truth just because a liberal utters it.

Actually not unlike the ideas of the left. Where did you think that $700 billion coming out of Medicare to pay for Obamacare was going to come from? Waste, fraud and abuse? Doctors and facilities accepting less for their services? Nahhh.
One of the co-authors of this NEJM article, Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, has already laid the intellectual groundwork for overt rationing in a 2009 Lancet article, “Principles For Allocation of Scarce Medical Interventions.” Dr. Emanuel is a former White House health care advisor and the brother of Rahm Emanuel, President Obama’s former chief of staff.
Dr. Emanuel proposes rationing based on a combination of factors including patient age, expected “quality adjusted life years,” and the patient’s “instrumental value” to “society.” Given that the government would be making (and paying for) these rationing decisions, value to “society” will become “value as determined by the government.”

Get Ready For Obamacare's Medical Rationing - Forbes

Under government health care, these decisions regarding lives that are worth saving and those that are not will, of course, be made by government bureaucrats. More subtle, but not much different than "hurry up and die".

Go play in the sand box junior.

Obama to Jane Sturm: Hey, take a pill - YouTube

At a hundred and five? Yea, surgery at a hundred and five is a "good idea". It tends to extend people's lives another 10 years, at least. Maybe 20.

What is it with these Republicans? They don't want anyone to have health care, but they fight to get a women who's a hundred and five "surgery"???? Really?????

He has a point - old people use up a lot of taxpayer funds to care for them in their final years of life, but he could have chosen better words. He ended up sounding offensive.

New Topics

Forum List

Back