Lessons on upgrading a TJ Jeep to 33” tires

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
Does anyone have experience upgrading to 33” tires on a TJ?

I am interested in hearing about what you needed to do and any lessons you learned.

Specifically...
  • Suspension lift
  • Body lift
  • Motor mount lift
  • Bump stop extensions
  • Tire width
  • Rim width
  • Backspacing of rims
  • Gear ratio
  • Were longer front brake lines needed?
  • Did sway bar links front and rear need to be extended?
  • Were upgrades to brakes and steering needed?
  • Were new shocks needed?
  • Was a new slip yoke eliminator and drive shaft needed?
  • Were adjustable track bars needed?
  • Was a new rear track bar bracket needed?
  • Anything else I may have missed
Currently I am running 31x10.5x15’s on factory rims. Backspacing is 5.5” on my OEM rims. I have a 2” Oldman Emu suspension lift.

I would like to upgrade to 33x10.5x15 and use my factory rims. I believe I need a 1” body lift and 1” motor mount lift and bumpstop extensions.

What I don’t know about is all the other stuff and if I can use my factory rims without contacting the rear spring perch.

Any experiences and information would be appreciated.

Thanks

33s should fit with a 2" lift and no other changes. (31s were a factory option.) As long as you have 1" of clearance around the current tires at all times, you're fine.

I do have a jeep freak buddy lives them things, In christmas valley or something oregon but don't know how to get you in touch with him.

The easiest way to get all this info is from Jeep boards and suspension lift manufacturers.
I’ve been through those. Lots of conflicting views.

Yeah....but there's a lot of good info that can be gleaned from them.
You have to ask yourself,do I plane on wheeling hard core,or just some extra inches for bigger tires and ground clearance?

The easiest way to get all this info is from Jeep boards and suspension lift manufacturers.

You have to ask yourself,do I plane on wheeling hard core,or just some extra inches for bigger tires and ground clearance?
I plan on wheeling which is why it needs to be done right. Otherwise stuff gets torn up. From everything I have read upgrading to 33’s requires a lot of upgrades. Nothing like the stuff required to go to 35’s which I have no interest in.

at this point I think I will stay with 31’s.

I plan on wheeling which is why it needs to be done right. Otherwise stuff gets torn up. From everything I have read upgrading to 33’s requires a lot of upgrades. Nothing like the stuff required to go to 35’s which I have no interest in.

Have you looked at TerraFlex?
They have everything from mild to wild.
Personally I'd stay away from body lifts. Much better to get your lift from the suspension.

Personally I'd stay away from body lifts. Much better to get your lift from the suspension.
I agree. But I’m not changing out my old man emu suspension. There’s nothing else like it.

I agree. But I’m not changing out my old man emu suspension. There’s nothing else like it.

Ah...I missed that part.
Have you checked out OME to see if they have a solution?

What kinda wheeling do you plan on doing?
Rock crawling,mudding?
Personally I would go for anything smaller than a 33 Inch tire.

These are 33's on the old FJ.

47513DAD-1DAA-44CD-B1B0-4DE131951552_1_201_a.jpeg

I put 35's on the new Tundra

93F8A657-8C9E-49DC-AA39-463BD0345E65.jpeg

Ah...I missed that part.
Have you checked out OME to see if they have a solution?
That’s a good idea.

Rock crawling,mudding?

View attachment 310517

View attachment 310520
Dunno. I heard there are some trails near Huntsville. Probably start there.

Rock crawling,mudding?

View attachment 310517

View attachment 310520

Huntsville Texas?

Rock crawling,mudding?

View attachment 310517

View attachment 310520

Huntsville Texas?
Yes. I’m in Houston and I know you are too. That’s why I just said Huntsville. I thought you knew I’m in Houston.

Last edited:

Rock crawling,mudding?

View attachment 310517

View attachment 310520

Huntsville Texas?
There’s at least four of us from the Houston area that post here. You, me, crixus and miketx. BruceLaney is in south Texas, I think.

Rock crawling,mudding?

View attachment 310517

View attachment 310520

Huntsville Texas?
Yes. I’m in Houston and I know you are too. That’s why I just said Huntsville. I thought you knew I’m in Houston.

I can steer to too much better places in Texas.
Huntsville is chock full of poison ivy and Oak.

Rock crawling,mudding?

View attachment 310517

View attachment 310520

Huntsville Texas?

Kinda thought you were in Houston.
Huntsville kinds sucks.

Rock crawling,mudding?

View attachment 310517

View attachment 310520

Huntsville Texas?
There’s at least four of us from the Houston area that post here. You, me, crixus and miketx. BruceLaney is in south Texas, I think.

I knew about crixus,miketx and I think Bruce lives near Victoria.

Forum List

Back