Lessons Learned

beretta304

Rookie
Aug 13, 2012
A Saner Place
Postelection talk of "lessons learned" is often exaggerated and misleading, and so it is in 2012.

A week after President Obama won re-election, two themes are dominant. First, that Mr. Obama kept his job because key elements of his base—notably young people, African-Americans, Latinos and Asian-Americans—turned out for him. Second, that the growing size of these voting blocs represents a decisive challenge for the Republican Party.

Both points are true, but most observers are overstating the gravity of the GOP's problem. In particular, they are paying too little attention to how weak a candidate Mitt Romney was, and how much that hurt Republican prospects.

Here is what the exit poll found. Mr. Romney's personal image took a hard hit during the primary campaign and remained weak on election day. Just 47% of exit-poll respondents viewed him favorably, compared with 53% for Mr. Obama. Throughout the campaign, Mr. Romney's favorable ratings were among the lowest recorded for a presidential candidate in the modern era. A persistent problem was doubt about his empathy with the average voter. By 53% to 43%, exit-poll respondents said that Mr. Obama was more in touch than Mr. Romney with people like themselves

In short, the current American electorate is hardly stacked against the Republican Party. But Republicans should recognize that, on balance, Americans remain moderate—holding a mix of liberal and conservative views. They generally believe that small government is better and that ObamaCare is bad. But the exit poll shows that 59% believe abortion should be legal, 65% support a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants, and a surprising plurality support legalizing same-sex marriage in their states.

Andrew Kohut: Misreading Election 2012 - WSJ.com

Last edited:
Romney was an excellent candidate with an excellent message. His image was tarnished by Obama's ads and a compliant media. In the end Obama's constituency turned out to vote for free shit over addressing any problems we have as a country. We have tipped into being a gov't cheese nation, with people just vying to see how much Big Daddy is going to give them. This country is finished. The GOP cannot and should not play this game of pandering to minorities.

LOL. Rabid, we didn't vote for free 'shit'. We voted for a nation with more oppertunity for all, rather than just the one percent. We voted for a nation where what consenting adults do in privacy is their owned damned business, not some 'Conservative' busybody's. We voted for a nation where science trumps superstition, mythology, and willfull ignorance.

• Banned
LOL. Rabid, we didn't vote for free 'shit'. We voted for a nation with more oppertunity for all, rather than just the one percent. We voted for a nation where what consenting adults do in privacy is their owned damned business, not some 'Conservative' busybody's. We voted for a nation where science trumps superstition, mythology, and willfull ignorance.

You personally may have voted for that but many others had other motivations.

yes, but you want someone else to pay for you pills, condoms, and abortions,, yes sirrrrreee buddddy you voted for free shit.

Romney was an excellent candidate with an excellent message. His image was tarnished by Obama's ads and a compliant media. In the end Obama's constituency turned out to vote for free shit over addressing any problems we have as a country. We have tipped into being a gov't cheese nation, with people just vying to see how much Big Daddy is going to give them. This country is finished. The GOP cannot and should not play this game of pandering to minorities.

^^Lessons Learned: Zero

Lesson learned: you can win elections by sacrificing the economic health of the country.

In short, the current American electorate is hardly stacked against the Republican Party. But Republicans should recognize that, on balance, Americans remain moderate—holding a mix of liberal and conservative views. They generally believe that small government is better and that ObamaCare is bad. But the exit poll shows that 59% believe abortion should be legal, 65% support a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants, and a surprising plurality support legalizing same-sex marriage in their states.

Andrew Kohut: Misreading Election 2012 - WSJ.com

Some good points there, but the hardliners will deny them.

Lesson learned: you can win elections by sacrificing the economic health of the country.

With a right wing message so strong of telling hispanics, women, gays, and other minorities to go to hell, as well as trying to force huge government on people, that's going (and did) sink the GOP.

If the GOP wants to ever win an election again, they need to get their heads out of their asses, tell the evangelicals and tea party to go to hell, and return to sanity.

I dont know how he got the young voters. Must be they are easily manipulated. I figured they wouldnt vote for someone that has kept them sitting on their ass after 4-8 years of college. Enjoy being a homebody!

With a right wing message so strong of telling hispanics, women, gays, and other minorities to go to hell, as well as trying to force huge government on people, that's going (and did) sink the GOP.

If the GOP wants to ever win an election again, they need to get their heads out of their asses, tell the evangelicals and tea party to go to hell, and return to sanity.

Obamacare is not forcing huge government on people?
You are the dumbest fucking poster here. And that's really saying something.
On to iggy with yr pals.

I dont know how he got the young voters. Must be they are easily manipulated. I figured they wouldnt vote for someone that has kept them sitting on their ass after 4-8 years of college. Enjoy being a homebody!

Because they are part of the new "give me" generation. Wait until those student loans catch up with them and they have no income to pay them with.

Right now they are more interested in being "cool" for lack of a more current word than actually critically thinking about their futures.

It's what happens when Comedy Central is your main source for news.

On to iggy with yr pals.

Virtually every industrialized and many third world countries have a universal health care system. For the US not to have one is ridiculous. It's a great plan to stop the freeloaders using ER's for a stomach ache and to get insurance like the rest of us.
Don't forget the individual mandate was a republican idea that was kicked off under Willard when he was governor. So if you are going to bitch and moan, blame the GOP.
Go fuck yourself you stupid bitch, you bring the stupid with every post you make.

basement dwellers.

On to iggy with yr pals.

Virtually every industrialized and many third world countries have a universal health care system. For the US not to have one is ridiculous. It's a great plan to stop the freeloaders using ER's for a stomach ache and to get insurance like the rest of us.Don't forget the individual mandate was a republican idea that was kicked off under Willard when he was governor. So if you are going to bitch and moan, blame the GOP.
Go fuck yourself you stupid bitch, you bring the stupid with every post you make.

That much I can agree with you on. On a recent visit to the ER, there was a woman sitting there, not in the least bit of pain or distress waiting to be seen. She actually carried on a conversation with my wife foer a at least 20 minutes.

I asked what she was there for and her reply, my back aches. A backache that was by no means an emergency and she's in an ER with people bleeding all over the floor. And if he demeanor and dress counts for anything, she was well dressed and well spoken and hardly gave the impression that she couldn't afford a doctors visit in the morning.

Last edited:
On to iggy with yr pals.

Virtually every industrialized and many third world countries have a universal health care system. For the US not to have one is ridiculous. It's a great plan to stop the freeloaders using ER's for a stomach ache and to get insurance like the rest of us.Don't forget the individual mandate was a republican idea that was kicked off under Willard when he was governor. So if you are going to bitch and moan, blame the GOP.

That mucjh I can agree with you on. On a recent visit to the ER, there was a woman sitting there, not in the least bit of pain or distress waiting to be seen. She actually carried on a conversation with my wife foer a at least 20 minutes.

I asked what she was there for and her reply, my back aches. A backache that was by no means an emergency and she's in an ER with people bleeding all over the floor.

That's the point and one of the main reasons why the ACA was save the insured a boatload of cash.

Do you want to pay for that woman with no insurance? Or do you want like the democrats want for her to get some damn insurance so we aren't flipping the bill? :eusa_think:

robmoney was the best the republicans could offer.

they just dont offer much

the voters agreed with that

That mucjh I can agree with you on. On a recent visit to the ER, there was a woman sitting there, not in the least bit of pain or distress waiting to be seen. She actually carried on a conversation with my wife foer a at least 20 minutes.

I asked what she was there for and her reply, my back aches. A backache that was by no means an emergency and she's in an ER with people bleeding all over the floor.

That's the point and one of the main reasons why the ACA was save the insured a boatload of cash.

Do you want to pay for that woman with no insurance? Or do you want like the democrats want for her to get some damn insurance so we aren't flipping the bill? :eusa_think:

She probably had insurance but figured what the hell, the insurance comapnay will pay for it so I'll go to the ER. I even asked the doctor when I went in why she was here? Naturally she couldn't say but rolled her eyes and did say, "don't ask me why she couldn't wait".

robmoney was the best the republicans could offer.

they just dont offer much

the voters agreed with that

STFU and get lost., Your inane ramblings and ranting is nothing more than a nuisance and a distraction to the sober, serious posters here who actually want to discuss things instead of acting like a druken fool posting random, incoherent nonsense unrelated to the topic. You're like a rabid dog that needs to be put down. You have to be the worst poster that ever graced this board.

Last edited:

She probably had insurance but figured what the hell, the insurance comapnay will pay for it so I'll go to the ER. I even asked the doctor when I went in why she was here? Naturally she couldn't say but rolled her eyes and did say, "don't ask me why she couldn't wait".

Most ER co-pays are steep. Either she had no insurance, had a dynamite insurance plan, or didn't care paying the fees.

Though regardless there are countless people that go into er's, rake up monster bills for medical care that could be done by going to a regular doctor's office, and those of us with insurance get to pay for them with higher fees.

The ACA is great to get these people coverage so they are going to a regular doctor's office to get the proper care, instead of abusing ER's as they have no other option.

Forum List

Back