Lesson from Scott Brown for GOP: Stop Being Wobbly and Apologetic

SwingVoter

VIP Member
Aug 30, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Really liked the Brown's campaign response to Massachusetts' other senator when he accused of them of "bullying".

Instead of giving a defensive or apologetic response like we would have gotten from Bush or McCain, Brown's campaign said ""People are tired of John Kerry's partisan politics. His baseless accusations reflect the desperate last gasps of a flailing campaign."

This is the sort of spirit that's been missing from the GOP since 2001 when the wobbly Bush-McCain faction came in and turned it into a contest over who could the "nicest" and support the most inane big spending bills.

Brown hasn't won yet, premature to say if his approach is the way for them to go.

Even if he loses, he's done far better by being strong willed and defying calls for apologies than McCain did by telling his own supporters to be nice to Democrats.

Wobbly Republicans like Bobby Jindal, McCain, Schwarzenegger, and both Bushes are the reasons why the GOP lets Democrat spending bills destroy budgets. If the GOP keeps putting up more of these duds, I'll just keep voting for Dems.

Irony is in real life- George Sr was a brave WW2 pilot, McCain was a true hero in Nam, and Schwarzenegger kicked ass in his movies. But as political leaders, they are pathetic and soft.

McCain doing badly had nothing to do with being "wobbly". It had do do with him saying he knew nothing about economics at a time when the economy was in trouble and making the worst possible pick for VP.

I think it's the dems who need to be reminded they aren't a wussy minority party any longer.

Miss is as good as a mile with the current democrats.

They treat every election as if its a landslide and 100% support for their agenda if they win by even the slightest percentage.

If brown losses they will be even more arrogant about over taxing us and controlling our lives.

They treat every election as if its a landslide and 100% support for their agenda if they win by even the slightest percentage.

If brown losses they will be even more arrogant about over taxing us and controlling our lives.

I guess it depends on where you're watching from. The way I see it, the rightwingers are already pretending that whatever the result it's a "REFERENDUM" on President Obama. I'd say it might be one of the factors, but certainly not the only one, particularly when the party in power ALWAYS loses some seats. (and Coakley made the biggest mistake any politician can make -- acted as if it was pre-ordained).

We shouldn't need 60 votes to get anything done, anyway. Pretty pathetic, IMO.

Really liked the Brown's campaign response to Massachusetts' other senator when he accused of them of "bullying".

Instead of giving a defensive or apologetic response like we would have gotten from Bush or McCain, Brown's campaign said ""People are tired of John Kerry's partisan politics. His baseless accusations reflect the desperate last gasps of a flailing campaign."

This is the sort of spirit that's been missing from the GOP since 2001 when the wobbly Bush-McCain faction came in and turned it into a contest over who could the "nicest" and support the most inane big spending bills.

Actually, the real advice should be:

Keep your mouth shut for the most part, don't say anything partisan, talk about lots of change, and most of all: let your opponent hang themselves.

Tl;dr: Scott Brown is the 2010 Barack Obama.

I guess it depends on where you're watching from. The way I see it, the rightwingers are already pretending that whatever the result it's a "REFERENDUM" on President Obama. I'd say it might be one of the factors, but certainly not the only one, particularly when the party in power ALWAYS loses some seats. (and Coakley made the biggest mistake any politician can make -- acted as if it was pre-ordained).

We don't need 60 votes to get anything done. If the democrats had a thing called a spine, this race would be irrelevant in terms of affecting congress. The Dracula Congress had no problem getting horrible shit passed for six years.

You can't get around the fact that Barrycare support even in Mass is below 50% and this seat should go to a democrat without much of an effort.

People say Martha sucks is the reason, but all she says is she will be an agent for Obama's agenda.

Thus you get people saying its a referendum on barrycare.

We don't need 60 votes to get anything done. If the democrats had a thing called a spine, this race would be irrelevant in terms of affecting congress. The Dracula Congress had no problem getting horrible shit passed for six years.
If that Congress was Dracula, the current one is Frankenstein.

You can't get around the fact that Barrycare support even in Mass is below 50% and this seat should go to a democrat without much of an effort.

People say Martha sucks is the reason, but all she says is she will be an agent for Obama's agenda.

The survey asked whether the recession was over in Massachusetts, and 90 percent of voters said no. The most important issue facing our next U.S. senator is the economy/jobs, according to 44 percent of voters polled; 38 percent said health care.

The survey also found:

* 54 percent support Massachusetts’ near-universal health care law
* 62 percent believe Massachusetts cannot afford its health care system
* 51 percent oppose the proposed national health care plan
* 61 percent believe the federal government cannot afford the proposed national health care plan

* 48 percent approve of President Obama’s performance; 43 percent disapprove
* 56 percent disapprove of Gov. Deval Patrick’s performance; 35 percent approve
* 55 percent think Massachusetts is on the wrong track

Suffolk University - Poll shows Brown Overtaking Coakley

Brown hasn't won yet, premature to say if his approach is the way for them to go.

Even if he loses, he's done far better by being strong willed and defying calls for apologies than McCain did by telling his own supporters to be nice to Democrats.

Wobbly Republicans like Bobby Jindal, McCain, Schwarzenegger, and both Bushes are the reasons why the GOP lets Democrat spending bills destroy budgets. If the GOP keeps putting up more of these duds, I'll just keep voting for Dems.

Irony is in real life- George Sr was a brave WW2 pilot, McCain was a true hero in Nam, and Schwarzenegger kicked ass in his movies. But as political leaders, they are pathetic and soft.

I agree. The GOP hasn't been able to figure out that if you let your opponent define you, then you won't like the image they present. It's about time someone stood up and refused to take their crap.

But her record as a AG that you and others bring from the woodwork, her comments about Curt Schilling showing how out of touch she is, and insulting everyone from Red Sox fans to Catholics in a state where both are large groups has nothing to do with it? :eusa_eh:

Coakley is showing no original ideas of her own, another negative. I don't want just agents for the Obama agenda either. I want a Senator who will come up with ideas for bills that can help this country and doesn't need Obama to do it.

I'm not saying this isn't a little about the wreck that is this current health care bill. But it's by far not the only reason and likely not the biggest.

But her record as a AG that you and others bring from the woodwork, her comments about Curt Schilling showing how out of touch she is, and insulting everyone from Red Sox fans to Catholics in a state where both are large groups has nothing to do with it? :eusa_eh:

Coakley is showing no original ideas of her own, another negative. I don't want just agents for the Obama agenda either. I want a Senator who will come up with ideas for bills that can help this country and doesn't need Obama to do it.

I'm not saying this isn't a little about the wreck that is this current health care bill. But it's by far not the only reason and likely not the biggest.
If the job required an once of creative abilty you would have a point.

As it stands, they just want her to sit quietly and raise her hand for 'aye' votes when told too.

The survey asked whether the recession was over in Massachusetts, and 90 percent of voters said no. The most important issue facing our next U.S. senator is the economy/jobs, according to 44 percent of voters polled; 38 percent said health care.

The survey also found:

* 61 percent believe the federal government cannot afford the proposed national health care plan

93% of Xenophon percentages are found to be accurate.

73% of such stats however are known to be made up.

This one is called Democrats Redux. Where instead of blowing off their left foot, they're blowing off their right foot this time.

The 109th Congress was the Dracula Congress because of the number of bills that they brought forth between Midnight and 7 A.M. (Note: It was over twenty).

They were pulling the same tactics that so many on the right are disgusted with the Democrats for now. (I.E: Last minute deals, shipwrecked bills, secret negotiations, etc.)

The survey also found:

Thanks for that. I bolded an additional section and removed your bolded parts since I want to comment on it.

And in that bolded section is a pretty big issue. Massachusetts is already what they call a "donor state", meaning that, like NY, it gives more in taxes than it gets in Federal benefits. They ALREADY pay for universal health care and I don't think anyone has really made a very good argument or given a good explanation as to why they should give again when they 'already gave at the office', as it were.

That's because the bill doesn't do as much as it should because it's been watered down by "conservatives".

Ultimately, though, James Carville had it right way back when... It's [ALWAYS] the ecomony, stupid."

This one is called Democrats Redux. Where instead of blowing off their left foot, they're blowing off their right foot this time.

The 109th Congress was the Dracula Congress because of the number of bills that they brought forth between Midnight and 7 A.M. (Note: It was over twenty).

They were pulling the same tactics that so many on the right are disgusted with the Democrats for now. (I.E: Last minute deals, shipwrecked bills, secret negotiations, etc.)

But Obama campaigned on transparancy, bipartisanship, and said he was gonna 'change' DC. So far, the only change is the color of the POTUS. New boss, same as the old boss.

Great post! Yes Brown has proven that he is a very skilled politician. Republicans haven't seen that in a long time. Kerry's "Bully" accusation was just plain ridiculous and Brown's response was perfect. I also like how he handled Gergen's loaded "Teddy Kennedy Seat" question at the debate. He is clearly the superior candidate in this election. Does that mean he'll win? I'm just not sure. This IS Massachusetts.

Forum List

Back