less than 24 hours

rtwngAvngr said:
What do you perceive as his most harmful theory?
the notion that a myth is necessary to provide moral stability in life. to spin and lie to the public means that you have no respect for the public. there are those in public office who believe that this myth is neccessary to preserve social order, and give people moral meaning in their life. i'd rather my elected officals give me a close approximation of reality, than a fantasy they have concocted for what they think is my benefit!!!
i'm not saying their motives are evil
just that i don't think what they are doing is right

the last part of "power of nightmares" is on BBC 2 tomorrow at 9pm gmt, get someone you trust in england to watch it, if you can't recieve BBC over there. its all about neo conservatives and islamic terrorists :banana:

Redz said:
the notion that a myth is necessary to provide moral stability in life. to spin and lie to the public means that you have no respect for the public. there are those in public office who believe that this myth is neccessary to preserve social order, and give people moral meaning in their life. i'd rather my elected officals give me a close approximation of reality, than a fantasy they have concocted for what they think is my benefit!!!

the last part of "power of nightmares" is on BBC 2 tomorrow at 9pm gmt, get someone you trust in england to watch it, if you can't recieve BBC over there. its all about neo conservatives and islamic terrorists :banana:

No. You're thinking of the left. "The ends justify the means". The soviet Union was a REAL ACTUAL THREAT, unlike the cries of voter intimidation.

Redz said:

ahhhh I get it--we don't need no religion !!!

rtwngAvngr said:
No. You're thinking of the left. "The ends justify the means". The soviet Union was a REAL ACTUAL THREAT, unlike the cries of voter intimidation.
great link post
to clarify my big problem is with
"The key Straussian concept is the Straussian text, which is a piece of philosophical writing that is deliberately written so that the average reader will understand it as saying one ("exoteric") thing but the special few for whom it is intended will grasp its real ("esoteric") meaning"
why because knowledge is dangerious??
"philosophy has a tendency to promote nihilism in mediocre minds, and they must be prevented from being exposed to it"
if the truth is nihilism so what??
let people decide for themselves
the philosophy of straussians is big governmet for me. big government propaganda!
why do these people believe that they are better at handling the truth than everyone else?
cos they are so much smarter???
the "exoteric" meaning of the ussr as spun for general public was pure evil, this is oversimplification
now we are told the terrorists are pure evil and hate us irrationally, this is another "exoteric" meaning
you may know this but few on these boards seem to grasp it(including me!)
i just think this method of treating the general public as if they are morons is very dangerious.
thanks for the link again this is vitally important issue that everyone should be aware of, and i hope to have productive exchanges about it in the future

dilloduck said:
ahhhh I get it--we don't need no religion !!!
the moral void left behind after religion ceased to play a meaningful role in public life is being filled by these guys and their propaganda. and i think its the duty of everybody to become aware of that

Communism is evil. It' a bunch of power hungry liars convincing people to empower government to handle all aspects of life, and control all property, purportedly for "the good of the people".

From my view, it's the libs of today who do not feel they need to defend ideas to anyone. All they do is villify the opposition, because they cannot defend their ideas rationally. That's an elitism of the most dangerous kind.

Redz said:
the moral void left behind after religion ceased to play a meaningful role in public life is being filled by these guys and their propaganda. and i think its the duty of everybody to become aware of that

So now are you supportive of religion in the public arena or against, not sure how your moral relativism fits into this? :confused:

Redz said:
no i did'nt say that, but they are hyped and spun to feed into the idea that america is a force for good in the world,
:

Well, my friend, if you can name one nation in all of history that has been a stronger force for the good - for freedom, mercy, generosity, and hope - than the United States has been in it's short 228 years, I'd like to hear it.

Many of your own countrymen - including my grandparents - fled starvation and despair, and came here to make impossible dreams come true. This is truly, as President Ronald Reagan stated, "the shining city on a hill".

This used to be common knowledge around the world. What are they teaching you folks nowadays?

Fear producing myths? Let's see.

"The republicancs are suppressing the black vote"

" the economy is in the toilet"

"the rich are not paying their fair share"

"John kerry is going to do something about outsourcing"

"Bush is going to put old people in the street"

Redz said:

People are responsible for finding out their own truths and YOU underestimate people. People are aware of the liberal myth and it scares them.

rtwngAvngr said:
Communism is evil. It' a bunch of power hungry liars convincing people to empower government to handle all aspects of life, and control all property, purportedly for "the good of the people".

From my view, it's the libs of today who do not feel they need to defend ideas to anyone. All they do is villify the opposition, because they cannot defend their ideas rationally. That's an elitism of the most dangerous kind.
communism is dead, a failed system
libs are not in power, and they don't not have this straussian philosophy, its dangerious and wrong. the most dangerious elitism is the one being used to run the worlds only superpower

Redz said:
communism is dead, a failed system
libs are not in power, and they don't not have this straussian philosophy, its dangerious and wrong. the most dangerious elitism is the one being used to run the worlds only superpower

Is that your myth?

Bonnie said:
So now are you supportive of religion in the public arena or against, not sure how your moral relativism fits into this? :confused:
religion had a role to play in informing our moralview point, eg; thou shalt not kill, honur thy father and mother etc..
however in the modern world religions role is greatly undermined, that where these neo cons step in, they have filled the void with their own myths about good and evil.

Redz said:
religion had a role to play in informing our moralview point, eg; thou shalt not kill, honur thy father and mother etc..
however in the modern world religions role is greatly undermined, that where these neo cons step in, they have filled the void with their own myths about good and evil.

So are we to assume your an atheist due to your ability to see reality?

musicman said:
Well, my friend, if you can name one nation in all of history that has been a stronger force for the good - for freedom, mercy, generosity, and hope - than the United States has been in it's short 228 years, I'd like to hear it.

Many of your own countrymen - including my grandparents - fled starvation and despair, and came here to make impossible dreams come true. This is truly, as President Ronald Reagan stated, "the shining city on a hill".

This used to be common knowledge around the world. What are they teaching you folks nowadays?
that was then this is now, look at the article and decide for yourself

rtwngAvngr said:
Fear producing myths? Let's see.

"The republicancs are suppressing the black vote"

" the economy is in the toilet"

"the rich are not paying their fair share"

"John kerry is going to do something about outsourcing"

"Bush is going to put old people in the street"
true alot of myths there, but a government myth has a lot more power behind it, and they can actually effect policy

Redz said:
true alot of myths there, but a government myth has a lot more power behind it, and they can actually effect policy

duh-----and the liberal myth is the other choice and they are part of govt too

dilloduck said:
People are responsible for finding out their own truths and YOU underestimate people. People are aware of the liberal myth and it scares them.
true there is a liberal myth, but look at the article and you will see there are neo conservative myths as well. straussians myths

Redz said:
true there is a liberal myth, but look at the article and you will see there are neo conservative myths as well. straussians myths

...and BigFoot Myths...and...and...

(shrug)

Instead of answering for one's beliefs, it's often easier to point out 'other' beliefs which may need 'work'.

Forum List

Back