Less Common Religions

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
Due to an interesting discussion that seems to be evolving in another thread, figured this would be nice. If you wish and have a 'less common religious belief' (in other words one that doesn't always come up in other topics) and wish to share, let's share some ideas of the universe, the world, and spirits here.

I follow a loose Ancient Egyptian belief (though all of that cultures religious beliefs are loose really). Ptah, the supreme god, created the universe in some fashion (though cute I don't like the masterbation concept myself), then being lonely he created the Ra (pronounced Ryah) to keep himself company. Ra of course didn't think Ptah was around enough so he makes others, each one taking on the form of some other substance such as the sky, land, or some animal and each adding life to each part of the world. Thus the world was full, but still the gods, even Ptah, was not satisfied, they were bored watching the animals scurry about. So Ra comes up with a really fun idea, let's give some of the animals intelligence and a spark of creation in them and see what happens. Now humanity exists.

Most of th rest of my beliefs will come with specific questions, but please, share more than ask if you can.

Im like a kid at a candy store with all the religion thread:razz: It's delicious to read everyones beliefs.

I like the pyramids is there a religious significance to them?

Me too, chloe. The kid in a candy store thing. I love discussing religion. I spent a lot of time in a Theosophical Library for a number of years before finding Buddhism suited me.

It's interesting to me that Buddhism doesn't have creation mythology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Discussing it and seeing the views can be enjoyed by all, as long as people are able to understand that no one belief is better than another. My best friend follows wiccan beliefs, she and I are constantly comparing notes but since she can't get online at her job I am hoping to find some of that discussion here. So, what other creation stories are there for a start?

One of my dearest friends was a student of Krishnamurti. In fact, after I had 'come out' as a lesbian, I fell in love with this man--(good thing he was married and that kept me from getting involved with him).

Krishnamurti was an enlightened master. He was well known in Theosophical Circles. He rejected being a 'guru'.

The unknown is not measurable by the known. Time cannot measure the timeless, the eternal, that immensity which has no beginning and no end. But our minds are bound to the yardstick of yesterday, today and tomorrow, and with that yardstick we try to inquire into the unknown, to measure that which is not measurable. And when we try to measure something which is not measurable, we only get caught in words.
— Krishnamurti, New Delhi 1970

No. Krishnamurti was not a practicing Hindu. He was born into a Hindu family. He was named after Krishna.

IMO. He was a real saint.

I like the pyramids is there a religious significance to them?

The pyramids are an oddity, for several reasons. The religious significance is less than most think, it's just a tomb. They used the pyramid because of the mathematical significance and math ties into the religious beliefs a lot, well, all science does really but science is based on math. The tombs inside however do not just serve to protect the corpse, actually the corpse only needs to be protected for a short time really. They enclosed a lot of records and stories in them, as well as a complete star chart in one. The burial process is the most religious part of that, mummifying the greatest of their people was though to preserve their soul on it's travels to the underworld. The riches and servants were often buried with them to help them along the way as well.

The very first pyramid however was not a tomb at all, it was just a house, which was added to many times and eventually became a completely enclosed city.

I have a story to tell you all about a Hindu saint, Anandamayima. When I went to my first silent 10 day Buddhist meditation retreat in 1981. During the retreat, I dreamed of an Indian woman, and she told me her name and the meaning of her name. I wrote the name and dream details in my journal. I just thought she was a dream image.

Years later, (1997) I was at a friends house looking through a book of Hindu saints and here was this beautiful woman that I had spoken to in my dream, Anandamayima. Her name means, "mother of bliss".

Later still, (1998), I went on Buddhist pilgrimage in India to the Ganges river where Anandamayima would sit and recieive students. I started crying.

Anandamayima died in 1981.

Kitten koder have you seen this place when you lived in utah? They mummify the dead. Someone left me an invitation on my notebook at the college anonymously but I never went.

Summum Pyramid

I am delighted that the good people of USMB know of Krishnamurti! I spent many years studying his teachings.

I have heard the name before, but inever read anything from him. I just got the quote from the link you provided, it was the thought of the day.

Kitten koder have you seen this place when you lived in utah? They mummify the dead. Someone left me an invitation on my notebook at the college anonymously but I never went.

Summum Pyramid

I faintly remember it but no real detailed memories so I may have just passed it by when I was younger.

I am delighted that the good people of USMB know of Krishnamurti! I spent many years studying his teachings.

OK. I'll try to not fall in love with you. I just modified a post to tell a story of Anandamayima.

Kitten, Egyptians were really advanced in math & science, do they also believe in life from other planets?

Forum List

Back