Lesbians more likely to have mental health issues...

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, like we didn't already know that.

"Specifically, the studies find:
  • Higher rates of major depression, generalized anxiety disorder and substance use or dependence in lesbian and gay youth.
  • Higher rates of recurrent major depression among gay men.
  • Higher rates of anxiety, mood and substance use disorders, and suicidal thoughts among people ages 15 to 54 with same-sex partners.
  • Higher use of mental health services in men and women reporting same-sex partners."
New data on lesbian, gay and bisexual mental health

• Banned
And they LIE about suicide attempts.

That's weird. Though not surprising, I've found that lesbians pretty much lie as a matter of course.

"
"When you ask in-depth questions about suicide attempts, the responses you get account for the rate differences between heterosexual and sexual minority youth suicide," Savin-Williams says. "The heterosexual youth had hardly any false attempts, while those with same-sex attractions had a lot of them."
In one of the studies, 23 percent of 83 young sexual-minority women said they'd attempted suicide at least once. On further questioning, though, 29 percent of the reported attempts turned out to be false, and 80 percent of the true attempts were not life-threatening, Savin-Williams writes. "

New data on lesbian, gay and bisexual mental health

• Banned
I find the fact that they lie about suicide attempts pretty telling.

maybe it has to due with all the public scorn and family denial of who they are.

If we allow these kids as they grow up a little respect and dont force them to lie about who they are you will see a change.

The results of several breakthrough studies are offering new insights on gay men, lesbians and bisexuals. Among the key findings:

Several studies suggest that gay men, lesbians and bisexuals appear to have higher rates of some mental disorders compared with heterosexuals, although not to the level of a serious pathology. Discrimination may help fuel these higher rates.
A study found lesbians reported equally strong levels of mental health as their heterosexual sisters and higher self-esteem.
A new study of gay and lesbian youth finds that they are only slightly more likely than heterosexual youth to attempt suicide, refuting previous research that suggested much higher rates.

Talk about cherry picking

• Banned
Thanks for restating the point, splatter. You're a champ!

This thread offers us a good example of the confusion that stems from putting the cart before the horse.

Do any of us find it suprising that people who are so often rejected by a large segment of society also suffer from emotional and mental disorders?

I mean really is that so very hard to understand?

Take ANY group that is outside the mainstream of popular sentiment and you will find the same problem.

And that includes AMERICAN MOSLEMS, I'd wager.

• Banned
So please explain what causes them to lie about suicide attempts?

How does that fit in with mean people forcing them into insanity?

maybe it has to due with all the public scorn and family denial of who they are.

If we allow these kids as they grow up a little respect and dont force them to lie about who they are you will see a change.
When I saw this thread and saw that you were the last poster, I KNEW what you posted before I saw it! You're so predictable!

@AlliBaba: Lying about suicide attempts is, as you seem to already know, just attention whoring. My ex-wife tried that "I'm gonna' kill myself" b.s. with me. I just told her: "Listen, I can't be around all the time to stop you from doing it, I have to work. If you really are going to do it, please do it in the kitchen on the linoleum so it's easy to clean up ok?" Yeah yeah, I'm an mean, evil bastard.

But of course she never attempted it or mentioned it again.

But the study doesn't show they said they were going to kill themselves and then didn't...I think what it shows is that they are lying about trying to kill themselves altogether...claiming they attempted suicide when they didn't...not claiming they were going to commit suicide and then just not doing it.

Anyway, no surprise to anyone who has watched Bod & Sky in action on this board...and liewinger as well.

There are some who believe that in many life-times we have all experienced every kind of sexuality. Sometimes society approved, sometimes it has not. They also believe that the soul has no sex.

The results of several breakthrough studies are offering new insights on gay men, lesbians and bisexuals. Among the key findings:

Several studies suggest that gay men, lesbians and bisexuals appear to have higher rates of some mental disorders compared with heterosexuals, although not to the level of a serious pathology. Discrimination may help fuel these higher rates.
A study found lesbians reported equally strong levels of mental health as their heterosexual sisters and higher self-esteem.
A new study of gay and lesbian youth finds that they are only slightly more likely than heterosexual youth to attempt suicide, refuting previous research that suggested much higher rates.

Talk about cherry picking

why did you ignore the very first words in the study?

Forum List

Back