Lesbian Says Priest denied me Communion at mom's funeral because I'm gay

Monogamy for 20 years is not sin.

Not according to the Catholic Church! This woman is in obvious need of another religion, one that accepts her perversion and depravity as normal. Not to force the Church or the Priest to perform a religious ritual in violation of their own beliefs.

The priest is the one who made a scene. Barbara Johnson didn't.

The woman's looks are irrelevant. It does happen that some women haters insist on judging a woman by what she looks like.

The whole friggin country is overweight, haven't you noticed?
Why didn't she make a scene? She knew that she was not eligible for confession, according to catechism. Yet, she went for it.

She was raised Catholic, so she knows this, yet she went for it.

Of course, because she is a lesbian, she cannot own any fault at all in this, eh?

The Priest was being a bully

To publicly treat someone who is mourning that way in public embarrassed himself and his church more than it did that poor victim

Not according to the Catholic Church! This woman is in obvious need of another religion, one that accepts her perversion and depravity as normal. Not to force the Church or the Priest to perform a religious ritual in violation of their own beliefs.

Monogamy is very Catholic. The Archdiocese insists the priest's action were AGAINST church policy.

One would think this would have been sorted out BEFORE the funeral and if there was a problem with the priest, they would have found another one.

One would think this would have been sorted out BEFORE the funeral and if there was a problem with the priest, they would have found another one.

If this was the Church the family attended why would they anticipate this kind of crap from her parish priest?

Monogamy is very Catholic. The Archdiocese insists the priest's action were AGAINST church policy.
And, that policy indicates that one must have correct heart to take communion.

She knows her relationship and her living situation disqualifies her for communion according to catechism. Yet, she went for communion anyway. On its face, that makes her at least a hypocrite.

If this was the Church the family attended why would they anticipate this kind of crap from her parish priest?
It was the church her mother attended, not the daughter, at least for 19 years. And certainly not the church the daughter's partner attended.

It doesn't make her a hypocrite. It makes her a conflicted human being. She loves and is faithful to her partner for twenty years and she is a practicing Catholic.

Plenty of Catholics use birth control which is against the RCC doctrine. What is it you don't understand about how that works for people?

Conscience is one of the most important teachings of the RCC. I bet Ms Johnson does not consider herself to be living in sin. Why should she?

She isn't committing adultery. She would marry her partner if she could.

Last edited:

Because she would have attended mass and had been refused communion by the priest before the funeral.

What, you think he waited for her mom to die and all of a suddened decided she didn't deserve communion?

It doesn't make her a hypocrite. It makes her a conflicted human being. She loves and is faithful to her partner for twenty years and she is a practicing Catholic.

Plenty of Catholics use birth control which is against the RCC doctrine. What is it you don't understand about how that works for people?
Sure does make her a hypocrite. With her circumstances, she knows she cannot take communion, yet she tried. Hmmm.

Oh, and O'Malley is signing the bill right now in MD.

It was the church her mother attended, not the daughter, at least for 19 years. And certainly not the church the daughter's partner attended.
Whatever. You just want to fight.

Again, it should have been settle BEFORE the funeral. I can see it being overlooked, but it's not the priests fault...he's following his beliefs. Churches have a right to do things like that.

Personally, I've never been to a funeral where they've had communion, but then again, I'm not catholic.

This is why I am so happy to not be a Catholic. I am sick of standing up for lesbian and gay rights with a bunch of yoyos.

SHEILA THE ARCHDIOCESE ISSUED AN APOLOGY TO THE FAMILY BECAUSE THE PRIEST WAS WRONG. HE ACTED AGAINST CHURCH POLICY.

This thread is nothing more than an excuse to bash lesbians.

Last edited:
The Priest acted badly. The Archdiocese apologized and has taken steps to ensure that no one is treated so badly again. Good for the Church.

And..... Warrior.... please stop disrespecting the Catholic Church with your asinine posts. TIA

You're welcome in advance.

You can't just "stroll up" and receive Holy Communion.
It happens every Palm Sunday, Easter, Christmas.

CONFESSION - then you're good to go!

Again, it should have been settle BEFORE the funeral. I can see it being overlooked, but it's not the priests fault...he's following his beliefs. Churches have a right to do things like that.

Personally, I've never been to a funeral where they've had communion, but then again, I'm not catholic.
I agree it should have been settled before. But, I highly doubt the priest even thought she would TRY to take communion, TBH, so I doubt he would approach her about it.

She should have asked him if she could have communion. He likely would have suggested she not take it. after asking her what was in her heart and after she told him she is in a loving lesbian relationship with her partner. At that point, the priest could refuse her communion within this particular diocese. And, I bet a ton of money she knew that. Thus her not approaching the priest before hand.

Let's see. Lesbian daughter is hurt by priest at her mother's funeral. It must be her fault.

Let's ignore the fact that the priest acted against RCC policy. Blame the lesbian.

I don't know how I feel about this. Maybe like the Catholics should handle their own? Not Catholic and I consider them a borderline cult but I don't know that the Priest did anything wrong in this case. Does God call on him to let them woman take communion just because she was suffering a personal tragedy? If not, then is he supposed to give communion?

Mike

Cult? :lol::lol: Yea, I can tell you know nothing about Catholicism.

Everyone elses religion is a cult. Didn't you know that?

Maybe it's just me.... I try not to be judgemental about other people's faiths. Scientology is the only one I struggle not to label as a 'cult'. I'm pretty much accepting of any other faith. And, for the record, other people's sexuality. These views are symbolic of my faith... Catholics are not supposed to be judgemental of others.

Forum List

Back