Lesbian Moms a Growing U.S. Phenomenon

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
reuters article

"I love my lesbian moms," read a hand-lettered sign a teen-ager held up recently to motorists passing a county building in Portland, Oregon, where gay couples lined up to get marriage licenses.

According to the Family Pride Coalition, a national advocacy group for gay and lesbian families, some 9 million children in America have at least one gay parent and one in five lesbian coupled households include a child under 18.

Studies show lesbian parents are doing a good job. "Absolutely, these kids do fine," said Dr. Nanette Gartrell, a psychiatrist at the University of California, San Francisco, who is in the 18th year of a study on lesbian families created by donor insemination.

Sometimes the children themselves put the whole controversy in perspective. Gelnaw said her son Zack decided on his own to stop giving interviews by the age of 12.

"Time magazine wanted to talk with him. He usually enjoyed doing the interviews, but we discussed it and he said 'No, I don't want to do it. I'm just a kid with parents, there is nothing to talk about."'

Homosexuals, especially lesbians, have higher rates of domestic violence than do heterosexual couples. Susan Holt, coordinator of the domestic violence unit of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center, said in 1996 that "domestic violence is the third largest health problem facing the gay and lesbian community today and trails only behind AIDS and substance abuse... in terms of sheer numbers and lethality."

A national US survey of married couples found the average rate of domestic violence was less than 5% per year. Unmarried, cohabiting heterosexuals reported higher rates of violence - about 20-25% per year. In contrast, interviews of women involved in a "committed, cohabiting lesbian relationship" for the past six months found that about 43% of the relationships had been violent
http://www.family.org.au/journal/2001/j20010728.html

I would attribute the low number of married couple violence due to non-reporting or fear of retribution by the partner. Thats my experience anyway.

The number of heterosexual domestic violence cases will now unfortunately go on the rise for the simple fact that my POS ex husband is trolling for **ss* again. (yes I know Im crude - but at least Im honest)

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I would attribute the low number of married couple violence due to non-reporting or fear of retribution by the partner. Thats my experience anyway.
Well, thanks for sharing your experience, but you should not let KL get away with that, you need to report it.

Originally posted by Big D
Well, thanks for sharing your experience, but you should not let KL get away with that, you need to report it.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah - thats me! All 5 foot 1 inch of me!!!!

HEY DK: C'mon fuckstick! :ali:

:clap1:

hi brn eyed!

What area of Az? I want to live in Sedona so badly that I can taste it!

Welcome, btw!

(Just watch out for the token liberal mod - he's a real pain in the ass....)

:D

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
hi brn eyed!

What area of Az? I want to live in Sedona so badly that I can taste it!

Welcome, btw!

(Just watch out for the token liberal mod - he's a real pain in the ass....)

:D

never mind the monkey asking for peanuts, she's got mental issues. :p:

you try and try to be funny and cute but you never quite get there do ya? Oh well, you have an A for effort. Now take your cooky and go away.

Fight, ya bitch!
:slap:

:p:

(DK, you DO realize that not many people like you much....)

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
you try and try to be funny and cute but you never quite get there do ya? Oh well, you have an A for effort. Now take your cooky and go away.

Fight, ya bitch!
:slap:

(DK, you DO realize that not many people like you much....)

:banana2:

Not many people may like DK, but I'm loving this thread!!

Thanks for the welcome!

I live in Phoenix and it's okay. If your real outdoorsy, then this is the place for you... as long as you don't miss moisture of any form. lol Sedona is beautiful, but I don't think I would live there because it is too small for me. I like bigger cities, just not too big.

your links dont work OCA - the first does but the second and third doesnt - nothing comes up when I click em?

Forum List

Back