Lennon was a closet republican who wished he could vote for Reagan?????????

teapartysamurai

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2010
Crushing liberal hearts one at a time . . .

Lennon was a closet Republican: Assistant

John Lennon was a closet Republican, who felt a little embarrassed by his former radicalism, at the time of his death - according to the tragic Beatles star's last personal assistant.

He says, "John, basically, made it very clear that if he were an American he would vote for Reagan because he was really sour on (Democrat) Jimmy Carter.

"He'd met Reagan back, I think, in the 70s at some sporting event... Reagan was the guy who had ordered the National Guard, I believe, to go after the young (peace) demonstrators in Berkeley, so I think that John maybe forgot about that... He did express support for Reagan, which shocked me.

"I also saw John embark in some really brutal arguments with my uncle, who's an old-time communist... He enjoyed really provoking my uncle... Maybe he was being provocative... but it was pretty obvious to me he had moved away from his earlier radicalism.

"He was a very different person back in 1979 and 80 than he'd been when he wrote Imagine. By 1979 he looked back on that guy and was embarrassed by that guy's naivete."

Acid must have finally wore off! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

In short, what Churchill (who was paraphrasing someone else) said was true. If you aren't liberal by the time you are 20 you have no heart, if you aren't conservative by the time you are 40 you have no brain.

John Lennon was a closet Republican, who felt a little embarrassed by his former radicalism, at the time of his death - according to the tragic Beatles star's last personal assistant.

He says, "John, basically, made it very clear that if he were an American he would vote for Reagan because he was really sour on (Democrat) Jimmy Carter.

"He'd met Reagan back, I think, in the 70s at some sporting event... Reagan was the guy who had ordered the National Guard, I believe, to go after the young (peace) demonstrators in Berkeley, so I think that John maybe forgot about that... He did express support for Reagan, which shocked me.

"I also saw John embark in some really brutal arguments with my uncle, who's an old-time communist... He enjoyed really provoking my uncle... Maybe he was being provocative... but it was pretty obvious to me he had moved away from his earlier radicalism.

"He was a very different person back in 1979 and 80 than he'd been when he wrote Imagine. By 1979 he looked back on that guy and was embarrassed by that guy's naivete."

In short, what Churchill (who was paraphrasing someone else) said was true. If you aren't liberal by the time you are 20 you have no heart, if you aren't conservative by the time you are 40 you have no brain.

1) Uhhhhh.....I give little credence to an "unamed assistant" in a post that has no link.

2) And, BTW.....Churchill never said the quote that you attribute to him.

One well-known quotation that is certainly misattributed to Churchill reads as follows, “If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.” Though the origin is unknown, The Churchill Centre and Museum at the Cabinet War Room in London suggests that Churchill’s actual political beliefs were exactly opposite to the sentiment of the statement.

World

Class dismissed.

Churchill never said that nor did he paraphrase it.

Unless Yoko tells us the same thing, I seriously doubt this.

That's why I put a lot of question marks in the title.

BTW, to the person who posted it. The assisted IS named.

His name was Seaman and he was Lennon's last assistant. He also wrote a book about his days as his assistant (which I read).

It's been a while a go. I think the title of the book was "Let me take you down."

And it doesn't posit a pretty picture of either Lennon, John or Yoko.

Makes 2 of the Beatles Republicans.

George met with President Ford in the Oval Office.

He'd met Reagan back, I think, in the '70s at some sporting event... Reagan was the guy who had ordered the National Guard, I believe, to go after the young (peace) demonstrators in Berkeley, so I think that John maybe forgot about that...

the full quote. so maybe, like the assistant says, maybe John didn't mean what he said?

:laugh2:

Makes 2 of the Beatles Republicans.

George met with President Ford in the Oval Office.

Chairman MAO met with Nixon.

I guess that makes Nixon a commie, or MAO a Republican. take your pick

Nixon wasn't a communist but he sure as hell was a central planner. To hell with him and all those that believe they know what's best for others.

First of all, the o/p violates copyright rules and the TOS of this board.

Second, I googled. The quote comes from Fred Seaman. Fred Seaman??? The guy who was convicted of stealing Lennon's things after he died?

Pathetic

Man, I'm so bored of rightwingnut loonies and their high fivers....

What exactly were Lennon’s political views at the end of 1980? Late that November, Lennon spoke out on behalf of striking workers in Los Angeles and San Francisco. (The story is told in my book Come Together: John Lennon in His Time.) The strike was against Japan Foods Corporation, a subsidiary of the Japanese multinational Kikkoman, best known for its soy sauce. The US workers, primarily Japanese, were members of the Teamsters. In LA and San Francisco, they went on strike for higher wages. The shop steward of the LA local, Shinya Ono, persuaded John and Yoko to make a public statement addressed to the striking workers:

“We are with you in spirit.… In this beautiful country where democracy is the very foundation of its constitution, it is sad that we have to still fight for equal rights and equal pay for the citizens. Boycott it must be, if it is the only way to bring justice and restore the dignity of the constitution for the sake of all citizens of the US and their children.

“Peace and love, John Lennon and Yoko Ono. New York City, December, 1980.”

That was Lennon’s last written political statement. It doesn’t seem to be the work of a “closet Republican.”

Seaman says Lennon told him he was disillusioned with Jimmy Carter in 1980. Lots of people on the left were disillusioned with Jimmy Carter in 1980, and for good reasons. That didn't make you a Republican, closeted or otherwise.

John Lennon: NOT a Closet Republican | The Nation

What exactly were Lennon’s political views at the end of 1980? Late that November, Lennon spoke out on behalf of striking workers in Los Angeles and San Francisco. (The story is told in my book Come Together: John Lennon in His Time.) The strike was against Japan Foods Corporation, a subsidiary of the Japanese multinational Kikkoman, best known for its soy sauce. The US workers, primarily Japanese, were members of the Teamsters. In LA and San Francisco, they went on strike for higher wages. The shop steward of the LA local, Shinya Ono, persuaded John and Yoko to make a public statement addressed to the striking workers:

“We are with you in spirit.… In this beautiful country where democracy is the very foundation of its constitution, it is sad that we have to still fight for equal rights and equal pay for the citizens. Boycott it must be, if it is the only way to bring justice and restore the dignity of the constitution for the sake of all citizens of the US and their children.

That was Lennon’s last written political statement. It doesn’t seem to be the work of a “closet Republican.”

Seaman says Lennon told him he was disillusioned with Jimmy Carter in 1980. Lots of people on the left were disillusioned with Jimmy Carter in 1980, and for good reasons. That didn't make you a Republican, closeted or otherwise.

So, you claim the OPs source must have been biased and therefore untrustworthy...and you back this up with a link to, wait for it...The Nation.

Wow. Pot, kettle...I see you're fast friends.

So, you claim the OPs source must have been biased and therefore untrustworthy...and you back this up with a link to, wait for it...The Nation.

Wow. Pot, kettle...I see you're fast friends.

huh? you need to prove the Nation is wrong. you pathetic fool. I'm NOT a big fan of the Nation, but....

you fail

Forum List

Back