Lemony Snicket: A series of unfortunate events

I've been reading the book to my 7 and 4 year old children. I am amazed at how much the 4 year old can understand of the book. After reading we will watch the movie to see how closely it followed the book.

no1tovote4 said:
I've been reading the book to my 7 and 4 year old children. I am amazed at how much the 4 year old can understand of the book. After reading we will watch the movie to see how closely it followed the book.

Do you pick up the symbolism from reading? There are some pretty cool things contained therein.

-=d=- said:
Do you pick up the symbolism from reading? There are some pretty cool things contained therein.

We haven't yet gotten quite that far in the book. We are only on chapter 7 of the first book. The movie consisted of the first three books.

I was surprised I really liked this movie, probably because ofthe cinematagraphy was great, almost reminds me of German expressionism.

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny.

Yeah, it seemed like more of a dark fantasy than a comedy. I enjoyed it a lot. Darin, what symbolism are you talking about, I didn't really pick up on any? Or is that only in the book?

Dan said:
Yeah, it seemed like more of a dark fantasy than a comedy. I enjoyed it a lot. Darin, what symbolism are you talking about, I didn't really pick up on any? Or is that only in the book?

I dunno - frankly, I'm surprised they've already made a book out of this movie...

but...here goes;

It's just how the things which happen to the kids mirror fears kids may really have:

What if I lose my parents?
What if we don't have enough food to eat?
What if a monster gets me?

those types of things - it covers the bases of most of my kids childhood fears, etc.

-=d=- said:
I dunno - frankly, I'm surprised they've already made a book out of this movie...

but...here goes;

It's just how the things which happen to the kids mirror fears kids may really have:

What if I lose my parents?
What if we don't have enough food to eat?
What if a monster gets me?

those types of things - it covers the bases of most of my kids childhood fears, etc.

The books were out long before the movies were. There are currently twelve Unfortunate books out.

rtwngAvngr said:
This thing sucked dog ass. It was funny for about two scenes.

My wife and I rented the DVD, and were quite disappointed. I was expecting more or something. I just thought it was weird, and very boring.

Forum List

Back