Lehigh .380 defense round...is it any good, the videos seem to say, yes.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Looking at getting a .380....looking at beefing it up as a self defense carry. Is the Lehigh defense round in .380 a good round......?

Looking at getting a .380....looking at beefing it up as a self defense carry. Is the Lehigh defense round in .380 a good round......?
I've been told by knowledgeable people that .357 magnum packs a powerful punch as is but there are a number of special bullets, such as the Hydro-Shock that enhance the effect.

As I said, this is hearsay. I have no actual experience. But I do shoot .357 and I know it is very powerful.

Professional hitmen use no serial number .45s from the Philppines or the low noise .22s and .25s. Too much gun to stay on target is worse than no gun. the first shot fired normally misses and if it kills an innocent by stander you go to jail. Double or triple tapping is usually used by the US special forces. By the way granny was my first instructor and it wasn't till I was much older that I realized that buttoning the shirt with a .22 was nearly as effective as buckshot. Don't try to impress people just be effective.

A .380 is marginal as a self defense firearm.

The Lehigh is a little more effective than most .380 rds but I wouldn't trust my life to it.

Unless you hit them dead center in the head the chances of a .380 stopping an assailant is minimal.

A 9mm is the smallest caliber you could consider and even that has weak stopping power. .

I not sure of the caliber of the ammo I use.

Last edited:
If you are set on a 380, I really like the Sig P238. As for ammo, consider the Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX.

Otherwise, I'd get a Kimber Ultra Carry or something comparable. I prefer to belt carry. It's not that hard to conceal with an overshirt over a tee shirt.

The Lehigh is a little more effective than most .380 rds but I wouldn't trust my life to it.

Unless you hit them dead center in the head the chances of a .380 stopping an assailant is minimal.

A 9mm is the smallest caliber you could consider and even that has weak stopping power. .
I carry a Polish P64 or a CZ 82, both fire a 9x18 mak round, just slightly bigger than a .380. I have a standing challenge to those who claim anything less than a 9 mil is basically useless, that challenge is to stand downrange and play target........ Funny but no one has yet to take me up on that challenge........ :eusa_whistle:

I carry a Polish P64 or a CZ 82, both fire a 9x18 mak round, just slightly bigger than a .380. I have a standing challenge to those who claim anything less than a 9 mil is basically useless, that challenge is to stand downrange and play target........ Funny but no one has yet to take me up on that challenge........ :eusa_whistle:

Nobody wants to get shot with any round. Even a .22 can kill and any round can be lethal. Any round can cause blood loss but that death is several minutes away.

The issue is short term stopping power. .380 is poor at stopping someone before they can do further harm.

Even a 9mm is not that effective at stopping unless you hit them in a vital area.

I carry a .45.

A 380 beats a sharp stick.

Nobody wants to get shot with any round. Even a .22 can kill and any round can be lethal. Any round can cause blood loss but that death is several minutes away.

The issue is short term stopping power. .380 is poor at stopping someone before they can do further harm.

Even a 9mm is not that effective at stopping unless you hit them in a vital area.

I carry a .45.
Good for you, I shoot a 270 out of 300........, consistently........ I don't need a hand cannon.

I carry a .45.
Good for you, I shoot a 270 out of 300........, consistently........ I don't need a hand cannon.
Shot placement is certainly a big part of it, but if your goal is to make someone stop doing what they are doing, the only way to effectively do that is by inflicting pain which is what a "hand cannon" does. It was for good reason that the 38 got the nickname the widow maker in WWI. Not because it made the guy getting shot stop doing what he was doing but because he could be shot three times and still make a widow out of the wife of the guy shooting him. At the end of the day there are many good reasons for someone to choose the weapon they choose. It's a personal preference. But it is important to mate up their choice with the best ammo they can which is what the OP is trying to do.

Let me put it this way, if my choice was a 380 with a good personal defense round or a 9 mm with ball ammo, I'd take the 380 with the personal defense ammo.

I carry a .45.

You are one hellva guy! I am amazed and impressed. Good for you!

Meanwhile, me being the poor shot that I am with a pistol, especially when the adrenaline is flowing, need something a little more powerful.

I carry a .45.
Shot placement is certainly a big part of it, but if your goal is to make someone stop doing what they are doing, the only way to effectively do that is by inflicting pain which is what a "hand cannon" does. It was for good reason that the 38 got the nickname the widow maker in WWI. Not because it made the guy getting shot stop doing what he was doing but because he could be shot three times and still make a widow out of the wife of the guy shooting him. At the end of the day there are many good reasons for someone to choose the weapon they choose. It's a personal preference. But it is important to mate up their choice with the best ammo they can which is what the OP is trying to do.

Let me put it this way, if my choice was a 380 with a good personal defense round or a 9 mm with ball ammo, I'd take the 380 with the personal defense ammo.

I am a NRA Firearms Instructor and a Range Officer. I see all kinds of shooters.

Very few people can hit anything with a pistol while under stress. Even the LEOs that train.

It takes a lot of training to be effective with a pistol. That is why it is best to have the most powerful weapon you can carry. For some, like my wife, it may only be a Sig P380.

I carry a .45.

You are one hellva guy! I am amazed and impressed. Good for you!

Meanwhile, me being the poor shot that I am with a pistol, especially when the adrenaline is flowing, need something a little more powerful.
That's what I mean, to each their own. :thup:

I carry a .45.
A seasoned New York City detective I know told me about a cop who, while searching a burglarized premises, was attacked by the burglar who advanced toward him from a 20-foot distance holding a linoleum knife. The cop emptied his six-shot .38 revolver into the advancing burglar who managed to reach the cop and slash his arm open.

Although shot six times the burglar was still struggling with the cop he'd slashed when the cop's partner, who had been searching in an adjoining room, put a seventh bullet right over the burglar's ear from a two inch distance -- which instantly dropped him.

Although the .38 Special is a relatively powerful round the critical factor is where the bullet hits, not how powerful it is, and this is especially true if the subject is drugged and/or emotionally-charged or psychotic.

I carry a .45.
A seasoned New York City detective I know told me about a cop who, while searching a burglarized premises, was attacked by the burglar who advanced toward him from a 20-foot distance holding a linoleum knife. The cop emptied his six-shot .38 revolver into the advancing burglar who managed to reach the cop and slash his arm open.

Although shot six times the burglar was still struggling with the cop he'd slashed when the cop's partner, who had been searching in an adjoining room, put a seventh bullet right over the burglar's ear from a two inch distance -- which instantly dropped him.

Although the .38 Special is a relatively powerful round the critical factor is where the bullet hits, not how powerful it is, and this is especially true if the subject is drugged and/or emotionally-charged or psychotic.

There are many stories like that. I recently saw a video where a policeman talked about hitting a guy four times with a .40 and still the guy had the energy to shoot the cop three times and wrestle and it wasn't over until the cop was able to get a 5th shot to the head.

In our church we have a rotation of guys that carry concealed weapons to protect the congregation. Today I am on the rotation and will be leaving in a little while. I'll take a Colt 1911 with me and four extra magazines.

I carry a .45.

I am a NRA Firearms Instructor and a Range Officer. I see all kinds of shooters.

Very few people can hit anything with a pistol while under stress. Even the LEOs that train.

It takes a lot of training to be effective with a pistol. That is why it is best to have the most powerful weapon you can carry. For some, like my wife, it may only be a Sig P380.
I'm an RSO at my club. Probably a third of the members are.

When my wife travels by herself she takes her P238 and her Kimber Ultra Carry. I'm always ragging on her to practice more. Then she reminds me that she has two male German Shepards with her and she will have plenty of time to take aim. The way she sees it she only needs a gun to protect the dogs. I don't think she is wrong.

I totally agree with your point about shooting paper versus the real thing. I was taking a HUET training class which is a water survival class and we were simulating egressing a helicopter which was turned upside down and submerged. It's all done in a pool with a crane. Anyway the last ride is to follow someone out the window. So here I am sitting upside down, strapped into my seat, submerged underwater with a fairly large dude between me and the window. My plan was to just sit there all calm and relaxed until he got out. I was sitting there like 30 seconds before I even looked over. Right before I looked over I remember thinking that I could sit here like this for another two minutes. Anyway when I looked over I expected him to be gone and the window open. What I saw was he was still sitting there struggling to unbuckle his harness. My air was gone in 5 seconds. We both made it out, but I realized that if I ever went down in a helicopter crash in the GoM I would probably die. Training is not the real thing. That's probably why LEO and military train so damn much.

Forum List

Back