LEGISLATIVE STEPS - Health Care Bill

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Broadly speaking, the legislative process for enactment of any spending bill moves in identifiable steps. Though the specifics, timing, and sequencing will change (such as skipping a subcommittee or full committee), generally it happens this way.

With regard to health care reform moving through Congress now, the key at this point is to prepare for possible legislative scenarios rather than reading an analysis of one day's activities and assuming that's what will be included in the final bill.

Some of these steps may ultimately overlap or the House or Senate may move through the process first, with the other legislative body following.

Initial proposals

Hearings / draft legislation

Committees pass legislation [the draft legislation is here as of today]

Congress passes legislation

House & Senate bills reconciled & passed

President signs bill into law

I posted this less than an hour ago, and it's already "OLD"???? I thought about putting it in Politics, but knew it would get moved here anyway. Sheesh, more "program" malfunctions guys?

With just under TEN draft proposals floating around The Hill, I thought this information would be helpful, since so many people seem to think there is only one draft that everyone has been chopping up, and that every time some new amendment is suggested, it's misconstrued as being signed off on already and people go nuts.

I posted this less than an hour ago, and it's already "OLD"???? I thought about putting it in Politics, but knew it would get moved here anyway. Sheesh, more "program" malfunctions guys?

With just under TEN draft proposals floating around The Hill, I thought this information would be helpful, since so many people seem to think there is only one draft that everyone has been chopping up, and that every time some new amendment is suggested, it's misconstrued as being signed off on already and people go nuts.

It aint over until it gets through the Senate and signed by the Pres. It is good to keep an eye on what different actors (the insurance poobah grandes in particular) are trying to slip in the works (one could then call their reps and let them know they're being watched), but you're right, there's no sense pointing fingers and throwing a fit until this thing is done.

Forum List

Back