Legislating Morality

It has to cause death to be objetionable? How about not just for unbelievers, but for people who believe differently than you?

Relgion is a private, not governmental matter and my child shouldn't be brainwashed because you think everyone but you is going to hell. Religion doesn't belong in school, unless you choose to send your child to a parochial school. Religion never belongs being fostered by government.

You like when Muslims think all infidels should be converted? I feel the same way about that as I feel about Christians who think my boy is going to hell.

Anyone who jumps in your boys' face and tell him the he's going to hell is a radical asshole and not practicing Christianity as Jesus taught. You no doubt would also probably be offended if someone prayed for your boys' health too.

Anyone who jumps in your boys' face and tell him the he's going to hell is a radical asshole and not practicing Christianity as Jesus taught. You no doubt would also probably be offended if someone prayed for your boys' health too.

dillo & Kt > Jillian
I agree with you all the way dillo! When someone tells you something for your won good then listen! The world would be a better place if people would listen to Jesus words. :banana2:

That's a fair question. Why don't you list the morals that you think need to be added to our legal system and I will tell you which ones I object to.

LOL! I don't bite that easily! :D

My point is that you can't AVOID legislating morals/ethics. So which ones are generally acceptable? And should some morals automatically be outlawed SIMPLY because Christians espouse them?

My point is that you can't AVOID legislating morals/ethics. So which ones are generally acceptable? And should some morals automatically be outlawed SIMPLY because Christians espouse them?

A list of ethic and moral questioning

-Is the accurate knowledge of moral values (such as right/wrong, good/evil) essential for right living?
-What is the rational basis for such values?
-What is the biblical basis for such values?
-Is there a heirarchy of moral values? Are some weightier than others?
-How should moral values be weighed or arranged? Can a system be devised for this?
-How does this system apply to the problem of the choice between two evils?
-How does this system apply to the major ethical issues of war & peace, sexual ethics, genetics and financial and political decision-making?

Your ethical system as expressed in the post should include the following:
A. Scriptural basis - how does Scripture call us to ethical behavior?
B. How you resolve situations in which there is a "choice between two evils".
C. Your reasoning with regard to peace, violence and war.
D. Attitude to life issues such as human cloning, abortion and genetics.
E. Work ethic, business ethics and ethics of wealth and poverty.

Too late, you dun been caught.. :afro:

What some people are getting at is simply this; do we need a (g)od(s) to tell us we shouldn't kill each other? Is it possible to enact laws against murder without dragging a religion into it? Just as an example.

Are the two - necessarily - mutually exclusive? As a Christian, I believe that God hates sin because He loves us, and He knows that sin hurts us. It takes us further away from Him. It is the sure path to misery in THIS life - to say nothing of the hereafter.

They are not mutually exclusive, but neither are they mutually dependent. Morality does not depend upon religion.

How about you leave the legislating to instances where anyone other than the consenting adults involved is concerned and leave the rest to the grown ups to decide for themselves.

In other words, if it doesn't hurt anyone else, it isn't government's business. That way it doesn't look like y'all are trying to be the religion police.

How about you leave the legislating to instances where anyone other than the consenting adults involved is concerned and leave the rest to the grown ups to decide for themselves.

In other words, if it doesn't hurt anyone else, it isn't government's business. That way it doesn't look like y'all are trying to be the religion police.

Why don't you quit acting like a paranoid Jew screaming that there is some sort of Christian conspiracy. How is it that you cannot see the incredible hypocrisy here?

They are not mutually exclusive, but neither are they mutually dependent. Morality does not depend upon religion.

But, this was not your original premise. You presented an either/or proposition:

Bullypulpit said:
What many fail to question, however, is the basis of those morals and ethics. Are they rooted in religious doctrine...? Or do they have the consequences to this life, in this world as their foundation...? The celestial or the terrestrial?

This is unrealistic; it's not all that black and white. You can't dismiss - out of hand - the inter-connectedness of the two. Hence, man's dilemna.

Bullypulpit said:
Morality does not depend upon religion.

If I offended you, and you could kill me and get away with it, doing so would present no apparent consequences to you in the here and now. Yet, I don't believe you'd do it. Killing me under such circumstances would be a wrong you know to exist OUTSIDE YOURSELF.

One's concept of that which exists OUTSIDE HIMSELF sounds, to me, like a pretty good working definition of "religion".

If I offended you, and you could kill me and get away with it, doing so would present no apparent consequences to you in the here and now. Yet, I don't believe you'd do it. Killing me under such circumstances would be a wrong you know to exist OUTSIDE YOURSELF.

One's concept of that which exists OUTSIDE HIMSELF sounds, to me, like a pretty good working definition of "religion".

:clap: :clap: Inside AND outside !!

Forum List

Back