Leggo My Ego: A Conservative Woman's Perspective on Nancy Pelosi

Yeggo

Rookie
Jul 28, 2010
Bear in mind... not written by me, but thought it bore some discussion:

If I were a straight-ticket Republican instead of one suffering an identity crisis, I would be doing one heck of a happy dance right about now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Friday that she would try and keep her leadership post within the new Democratic minority. The GOP is salivating at this egomaniacal move, but we all know that GOP Chairman Michael Steele would recognize that modus operandi anywhere.

One of the toughest things for any public servant or politician to do is to know when to walk away from the limelight. It’s like a drug — the cameras, the differential treatment, the power, the perks, and sometimes even the high you get from passing actual legislation that will greatly benefit the American people. You are left with an inflated sense of self-importance that is almost impossible to satiate.

But when you are the most recognized Congressional figurehead of a political party that just lost their shirt in the House of Representatives, you do not dust off your big girl blazer and insist you’re the right person for the leadership job. Instead, you “Cowgirl Up” and step lightly into the next chapter, whether it’s a Committee post, a select caucus position or retirement. There’s a little grace to be found in self demotion.

As the mother of two strong-willed daughters, the ceiling-busting rise of Pelosi as Speaker is not lost on me. Even though I disagree sharply with her politics and her agenda, Pelosi gave my girls televised proof that a woman can wield the power of the gavel. But now I’d like them to learn a similar lesson in the grace of defeat.

It’s time for a new face for the Democrats. And I’m pulling for Steny Hoyer. Congressman Hoyer (D-MD) has lost two leadership races to Pelosi. He can bridge the gap between liberal Democrats and the Blue Dog Dems who bore the brunt of the Election Day demise. The Blue Dogs took major hits because they trusted Pelosi, followed her lead, believed her promises and now find themselves packing up the paperweights. House Minority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC) has said he wants to keep his whip post so Pelosi’s selfish power play would potentially box Hoyer out of leadership all together. Both Hoyer and Clyburn deserve to stay.

I know there will be many who disagree with me — that Pelosi has the brash, brazen fire needed to stick it to the Republican majority. And I agree with the personality assessment, but not with the politics. It’s a knee-jerk reaction to counter the Republicans’ “Party of No” playbook with more of the same. Democrats would be in a better position going into 2012 by electing a more moderate Minority Leader and by trying to find bipartisan solutions to the economic and domestic woes that cost them the majority. After all the leadership jockeying is done, Congress has to get down to the business of actually legislating. The American people don’t have the patience or the pursestrings to wait any longer.

The folks who put her in her position are the ones who survived.

the ones who lost are the ones who would be most interested in voting her out.

She will not fade quietly into that good night. It would be the right thing to do, but doing the right thing is not what makes you a bat crazy liberal democrat.

Forum List

Back