Legendary Big-Wave Surfer Drowns

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Legendary Big-Wave Surfer Sion Milosky Drowns at Mavericks

Sion Milosky had surfed waves just like this one before. But this time, the colossal wall of water at Mavericks plunged him deep into the ocean and would not let him go.

Milosky, a famed big wave surfer from Hawaii, died late Wednesday after wiping out and being caught in a two-wave hold-down off the coast of California's infamous Mavericks Beach, south of San Francisco. Other surfers watched on in horror as a rogue wave broke on top of 35-year-old Milosky, a fixture in the small, elite world of big-wave surfing.

Sion Milosky had surfed waves just like this one before. But this time, the colossal wall of water at Mavericks plunged him deep into the ocean and would not let him go.

Milosky, a famed big wave surfer from Hawaii, died late Wednesday after wiping out and being caught in a two-wave hold-down off the coast of California's infamous Mavericks Beach, south of San Francisco. Other surfers watched on in horror as a rogue wave broke on top of 35-year-old Milosky, a fixture in the small, elite world of big-wave surfing.

ugh---saw where he was wearing a wet suit. A lot of big wave surfers will avoid wet suits for that very reason. RIP.

ugh---saw where he was wearing a wet suit. A lot of big wave surfers will avoid wet suits for that very reason. RIP.

:confused: Do you think the wetsuit weighed him down too much and was a factor in his drowning?

I followed the link above and found this interesting video of him...I've only watched half so far but maybe the longer board was a factor as well???

Sion Milosky Biggest Wave Ever Paddled into on Vimeo

If you're surfing south of San Francisco in March...you need a wet suit. I'm sure it wasn't his first rodeo so to speak.
"It's not tragic to die doing what you love." - Point Break

;)

:confused: Do you think the wetsuit weighed him down too much and was a factor in his drowning?

I followed the link above and found this interesting video of him...I've only watched half so far but maybe the longer board was a factor as well???

I doesn't weigh you down but it allows the water to circulate through it so it has leverage to keep you under. Due to the cold conditions he probably needed one but he knew what he was doing and took the risk. Riding waves that big ain't for the average thrillseeker.

I doesn't weigh you down but it allows the water to circulate through it so it has leverage to keep you under. Due to the cold conditions he probably needed one but he knew what he was doing and took the risk. Riding waves that big ain't for the average thrillseeker.

Yeah, I don't know much about surfing, but I just watched the whole video...Definitely worth watching...Sounds like the longer board was a factor for him.

How sad for his family. :(

Yeah, I don't know much about surfing, but I just watched the whole video...Definitely worth watching...Sounds like the longer board was a factor for him.

How sad for his family. :(

I surfed when I lived in Hawaii. Some big enough to scare the crap out of me. Saw some drown and some break their necks.
A lot of things can go wrong from getting hit by a loose board or bouncing off the bottom.
Big water is just plain powerful.
Sad--yes.

• Banned
Did you watch a lot of surfing competitions? Or just see the surfers hanging around the beaches?

Last edited:
Very sad. I feel sorry for his wife and daughters.

father-daughter-surfsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Did you watch a lot of surfing competitions? Or just see the surfers hanging around the beaches?

Watched competitions and when the winter surf came in on the north shore I'd watch the big boys try the big stuff (30 ft +).
It was scarey just watching them. (and there were no jet skis to come in and save their asses at that time either).