Legalized Marijuana vs. Legalized Abortion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manifold, May 8, 2012.

?

Would you support such an amendment?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,756
    Would you support a constitutional amendment that simultaneously legalized marijuana and outlawed abortion?

Is the right to take the life of a developing person so precious that even my asking this question offends you?

Is the right to indulge in a natural substance responsibly a worthy enough cause that you'd be willing to sacrifice the right to take the life of a developing person?

I dunno

But it's an interesting thing to ponder.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Ed Spacer

Ed Spacer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I support it as a right-wing conservative activist.
    Marijuana doesn't kill babies.
    Abortions do.
    Count a yes vote for me.

3. Ed Spacer

Ed Spacer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The real reason hemp was outlawed is for financial reasons back in the 20s and 30s because of the Dupont company and others,because hemp was cheaper,stronger,etc,etc,etc.

4. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    I vote no.

Taking away a woman's absolute right to her body.....so others can get high. :cuckoo:

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,756
    Woman can't legally get high either, so there goes the absolute right to one's body argument dummy. :cuckoo:

6. JWBooth

JWBooth Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    Nice tits

7. JWBooth

JWBooth Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    Neither the evil weed or the abortion should fall under the purview of the national government.

8. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,511
    The reverse being taking a person's absolute right over their body (and mind, as is the case here)... so others can get pregnant. Both are equally selfish, if you're pragmatic about it.

Personally speaking, I'm not as passionate as some re. abortion, and it's a stormy sea to navigate when you're contending with opposing sides with equally strong and valid cases. Though ultimately I think a woman should be allowed to abort if she sees no other option other than to terminate the pregnancy. But it's not a subject I get worked-up over.

I am, however, a strong advocate for the legalisation of marijuana. I'm personally biased because I enjoy smoking weed. I'm not too keen on the hydroponic skunk strains available on the street that'll knock a man for six halfway through his joint, and I strongly recommend moderate consumption. But if governments allowed and stewarded state sanctioned cultivation and sales of marijuana then they'd be killing two birds with one stone. They'd take power from the criminal gangs who flood the black market with potent and/or adulterated cannabis almost overnight: anyone who's familiar with buying weed off of dealers will plump for convenience in the form of state sanctioned outlets over rendezvousing with a potentially dangerous stranger in a multi-storey carpark who's likely to rip you off (seriously, some of the hashish I've bought in the past was so adulterated, you'd be better off smoking a bin liner). They'd also open the flood gates on a huge source of revenue created by the taxes levied against the respective incomes of state sanctioned cannabis farmers and retailers.

9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,756
    I agree, philosophically and ideally.

But pragmatically speaking, that horse left the barn a long time ago.

So if there was an actual constitutional amendment on the table, as stated in the OP, would you or would you not support it?

10. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I voted no.

Although I would prefer the total number of abortions in the U.S. from now through eternity equaled a whopping zero, I don't believe making it illegal will fill that dream or even decrease the number of abortions by 5% or any significant number at all. Overturning Roe and sending the issue back to the states won't solve the problem either. It will only make things worse. Defeating abortion will take changing the hearts of the people one person at a time.

I would be for legalizing marijuana, but if (when) it is done, I have no desire to begin using it.

Immie