Legalize the crap

The rate of use does NOT decrease with legalization, it (of course) increases.

I used drugs heavily in the 70's and 80's, Stop doing all but smoking MJ. At my age now I get a boat load of scrips from my docs, but since I get so much meds I take less than prescribed. One I get is methadone, 60 a month for 3 every 8 hours. hell I don't dare take that much or I will be out of it.

Not really.

Compared to the European Union and the U.S., Portugal's drug use numbers are impressive. Following decriminalization, Portugal had the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 in the E.U.: 10%. The most comparable figure in America is in people over 12: 39.8%. Proportionally, more Americans have used cocaine than Portuguese have used marijuana

The Cato paper reports that between 2001 and 2006 in Portugal, rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%; drug use in older teens also declined. Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group). New HIV infections in drug users fell by 17% between 1999 and 2003, and deaths related to heroin and similar drugs were cut by more than half. In addition, the number of people on methadone and buprenorphine treatment for drug addiction rose to 14,877 from 6,040, after decriminalization, and money saved on enforcement allowed for increased funding of drug-free treatment as well.

Plenty of stuff out there that is legal can cause all those things too. And you do realize that no one is talking about abolishing prescription laws for certain drugs don't you?
Rather than prohibit other dangerous products, you think it is better to legalize the others who are still banned ?

Curious no ?

EDIT : Oh and another thing, if the medication prescribed by your doctor have the same effect, please save your life, and ... change of doctor !

You do realize that that list of side effects can be caused by almost any prescription drug and many over the counter drugs as well don't you?

It's a waste of money and time to arrest and incarcerate people for possessing small amounts of drugs.

The sale and trafficking of drugs will still be illegal we just won't waste time prosecuting and incarcerating everyone with a joint in their pocket.

So please stop the histrionics

Not really.

Yes, really (of course).

Where Legalization Has Flourished, Drug Use Has Increased

Drug laws are pretty much like gun laws. They'll keep drugs out of the hands of the most responsible and otherwise law abiding citizens, but society's pieces of shit are going to get their hands on them regardless.

These laws are forcing otherwise upstanding citizens into jail and/or with felonies on their records for merely having a small bag of weed on them, or enough cocaine for one night of partying on a saturday before they were to go back to their normal responsible life on Monday morning. It's ridiculous.

The right wing progressive statists are for continued big government suppression of drug use.

Interesting.

Forum List

Back