Legalize Prostitution

&

☭proletarian☭

http://www.humanismbyjoe.com/prostitution.htm
In many communities throughout the U.S., the police investigate and arrest persons involved in prostitution. A careful examination of this practice shows that it reduces the quality of life in society...

Laws against prostitution violate Americans' fundamental rights of individual liberty and personal privacy. Thomas Jefferson and other founders of the U.S. envisioned a society where people can live without interference from government, provided they don't harm others.
As Jefferson said in his First Inaugural Address: "A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement." Or as Arthur Hoppe wrote about consensual acts in the San Francisco Chronicle in 1992: "The function of government is to protect me from others. It's up to me, thank you, to protect me from me."
Similar to issues such as birth control, abortion, and the right to death with dignity, this issue involves people's fundamental rights to control their own bodies and decide the best way to conduct their lives. Alan Soble noted, "The freedom to choose one's reasons for engaging in sex is an important part of sexual freedom."
In a free society, it makes no sense for the government to be telling persons - particularly the poor - they cannot charge a fee for harmless services they otherwise are at liberty to give away. To paraphrase George Carlin: Selling is legal, and sex is legal, so why isn't selling sex legal?

A sad business, but one that law enforcement is never going to end.

Better to legalize and regulate it, I think.

I'm all for legalizing prostitution but the few times I've engaged the services of a working girl I found the experience to be not all that satisfying. Proabably because the conquest aspect of the sexual relationship was missing.

It was legal in Rhode Island for 30 years until the Society of the Prudes and Impotents decided that people should not be allowed to decide for themselves what they should do with their money and bodies.

Forum List

Back