Legalize Marijuana?

liberalogic said:
I completely agree...you can't delineate between marijuana and harder drugs...all impair your judgment equally...if we legalize marijuana, I think it's only fair to legalize ALL forms of drugs. And taxpayers SHOULD NOT pay for rehab.

Actually there is a huge difference. . . pot isn't physically addictive, cocaine and heroin are. Pot's ability to change reality is nothing compared to what heroin or coke will do to you. Coffee changes reality, tobacco can do the same, is it the degree of reality change that is the problem? How about the many legal perscription drugs such as valium(very powerful downer) or adderall(basically legal speed)?

sitarro said:
Actually there is a huge difference. . . pot isn't physically addictive, cocaine and heroin are. Pot's ability to change reality is nothing compared to what heroin or coke will do to you. Coffee changes reality, tobacco can do the same, is it the degree of reality change that is the problem? How about the many legal perscription drugs such as valium(very powerful downer) or adderall(basically legal speed)?

How do caffeine and nicotine alter reality?

sitarro said:

The physical addiction statement is true, but pot will distort reality just as much as cocaine...but if the government legalizes pot, it is still authorizing addiction (all be it mentally). What's the difference either way if the government is authorizing it?

MissileMan said:
How do caffeine and nicotine alter reality?

I know when I smoke a Camacho cigar I get dizzy and my heart rate goes up and I don't inhale. You can be physically very tired in reality but when you injest caffiene you become hyper, isn't that altering reality? My brother can't even drink a coke because of his sensitivity to caffeine.

I have seen studies that show increases in heart rate from cigarette smoke and yet the smoker is smoking it to relax.

liberalogic said:
The physical addiction statement is true, but pot will distort reality just as much as cocaine...but if the government legalizes pot, it is still authorizing addiction (all be it mentally). What's the difference either way if the government is authorizing it?

That arguement is weak, the fact that yoiu compare the effect of pot with cocaine is a joke. Next you will probably claim that weed is a gateway drug. . . wouldn't alcohol be more of a gateway drug. I would have to guess that most addicts drink

As far as addictions go, an addict can become addicted to almost anything whether it's the internet, video games or sex.

Pot should be legalized when I can walk in to a friggen grocery/drug store and buy a damned box of Sudafed without going through a 30 minute signing process.

sitarro said:
I know when I smoke a Camacho cigar I get dizzy and my heart rate goes up and I don't inhale. You can be physically very tired in reality but when you injest caffiene you become hyper, isn't that altering reality? My brother can't even drink a coke because of his sensitivity to caffeine.

I have seen studies that show increases in heart rate from cigarette smoke and yet the smoker is smoking it to relax.

Those are physical effects, not altered reality.

pegwinn said:
I understand. My point is more of equality. Alcohol (and I make and drink my own brew BTW) and Tobacco (I also smoke from time to time) are as addictive and cause more deaths annually than the drugs we are afraid of. The difference is in political lobby.

I already stipulated that the taxpayers should not pey for rehab in an earlier post. I won't be suing big tobacco anytime soon. Besides if cheap coke hits the market, how many losers will od in the first six months before it levels off and normalizes?

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with any of it being legalized if by some strange occurence Americans could be responsible for, and held accountable for their personal behavior. If one wants to go home, shoot up and stare at the tube for hours, power to 'em.

I don't see it happening that way though. I see irresponsible use and irresponsible behavior being OUR problem because it won't be kept at home.

MissileMan said:
Those are physical effects, not altered reality.

Well I guess that my reality has never been altered by pot and I gon't give a crap what some assinine study says. Anyone that tells me different are just descibing a physical effect. I am offering thirty years of experience at smoking a dried up weed, it is nothing compared to most of the cold medications offered on the shelf of any grocery. To compare it to real drugs is a joke. I have started and stopped smoking it whenever I felt like it without any effect, that's just how it is. Quiting caffeine has been tougher.

The only reason it is illegal is because of a misinformation campaign started years ago by the alcohol industry and the bullshit they said is still believed by many. Not to mention that it is an easy nonviolent bust that can still make front page news in the war on drugs.

If the police want to do something why isn't there a car stationed outside every bar in America?

I know I jumped in kinda late, but here are my points:

1) "people are gonna do it anyway" is never a good reason to make anything legal.

2) Alcohol is ingrained in Western culture. Pot isn't. This is crucial to understand, because when people think of wine they think of the drink of monarchs and emperors. When people think of weed they think of dirty hippies.

3)I fail to see the benefit of having two mind-altering substances legally available instead of just one.

theim said:

1) "people are gonna do it anyway" is never a good reason to make anything legal.

My problem is with people's lives being ruined for possession of a small amount of a dried up weed that is nothing compared to alcohol.

theim said:
2) Alcohol is ingrained in Western culture. Pot isn't. This is crucial to understand, because when people think of wine they think of the drink of monarchs and emperors. When people think of weed they think of dirty hippies.
Exactly what the alcohol industry wanted when they helped produce that farce movie "Reefer Madness". At that time it was those negroes and jazz musicians that were smoking that loco weed. I remember a comedian covering that subject, possibly George Carlin.
30 years ago while in college I tried every drug that you didn't have to shoot through a needle, easily the most dangerous one was alcohol. Socially accepted, easily overdosed on, extremely dangerous impairment while making one think they are actually better than straight. . . pot may be the drug that people think makes others stupid but it is actually alcohol that is the stupid drug. People think they are much more interesting and charming while drinking. . .ask any woman who has been hit on by a drunk. They also think they are great drivers capable of skill like a race driver, people high on pot think the opposite. They tend to be calm, more introverted, more observant of things that most never notice or place importance on, probably why artists like it so much.

theim said:
3)I fail to see the benefit of having two mind-altering substances legally available instead of just one.

Pot is the more intelligent drug. Some people run, some meditate, some work out, some drink, and others smoke pot. . . all for relaxation. When it is between the latter 2 I would rather be around someone smoking weed than drinking in almost any situation, especially if they are driving the huge Excursion next to me.

theim said:

1) "people are gonna do it anyway" is never a good reason to make anything legal. I totally agree. But, I don't believe in double and triple standards either.

2) Alcohol is ingrained in Western culture. Pot isn't. This is crucial to understand, because when people think of wine they think of the drink of monarchs and emperors. When people think of weed they think of dirty hippies. For a long time beheading, hanging, and disco was ingrained as well. The first two could be usefull and thank god we got rid of the last before the 80's.

3)I fail to see the benefit of having two mind-altering substances legally available instead of just one. Easy choice, get rid of one, or use em both. Oh wait, we got rid of one and organized crime in america took off like Superman on a mission. Why not outlaw the opposites of everything that is culturally cool? Keep Apple pie, but outlaw Cherry, Pumpkin & Pecan.

This is where I am supposed to type pithy words of wisdom. Oh wait.... uh.... I will get back with you dude.

liberalogic said:
I do not think that it should be legalized because I think that while it may not cause as many health problems as "harder" drugs, it still impairs your perception and judgment just as much.

Yet it doesn't impair your judgement as much as alcohol, which is legal.

GunnyL said:
I honestly wouldn't have a problem with any of it being legalized if by some strange occurence Americans could be responsible for, and held accountable for their personal behavior. If one wants to go home, shoot up and stare at the tube for hours, power to 'em.

I don't see it happening that way though. I see irresponsible use and irresponsible behavior being OUR problem because it won't be kept at home.

Unless, of course, there are children involved. I wonder what it would be like to be a small child whose Mommy and/or Daddy is stoned and eating Cheetos, instead of making your dinner.

I strongly feel that anything that can help someone to alleviate physical pain should be easily available to them. That includes all the Heroin and Morphine they can stand.

SpidermanTuba said:
Yet it doesn't impair your judgement as much as alcohol, which is legal.

Which is why I said that it's a complete contradiction to make alcohol legal and pot not...it doesn't make sense to make one legal and make the other illegal.

Forum List

Back